What were you like in elementary school?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

In elementary school I had poor penmanship and, despite having strong skills, I often forgot to turn in homework, would be bored with "busy work", and would be inattentive while subjects that I lacked interest in were being taught.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

Quiet and good. That's how the nuns described me.
Didn't do my homework, got bad grades, and didn't play with the other kids, but nobody seemed to care about those things. My parents thought the homework was too hard for me, but I just didn't like it.

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2013, 11:21 am

Despite my "problems" teachers enjoyed having me as a student because I was a "sweet, well-behaved kid".

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

Oh, I wasn't the quiet good kid who did well in school but had no friends. I did poorly in school(despite the fact that I was assessed and had a Verbal IQ in the superior range -Verbal IQ is supposed to correlate with good grades in school) couldn't hold a pencil and had terrible penmanship and was inattentive like the OP said. The exception being when I was really interested in something I'd do really well in one area-like reading from grade 3 on. I spend most of my time daydreaming and twirling a string in front of my face-they'd try to take it away from me but I'd find another one - and/or humming or ripping paper. I wondered away from the classroom and did strange things. I was the pariah of the school and bullied by anyone I came into contact with. My teachers wrote things in my report cards like that I was always in my own little word and had strange behaviours and that I "let myself" be teased. Throughout elementary school I was assessed by many school psychologists- Asperger's didn't exist until I was 10 though-I was sent to a PPD expert and diagnosed at 13. Before that they had all sorts of theories about me -like that I had some sort of deep seated emotional trauma ect.

I wasn't the typical overlooked quiet girl. I could be very loud and obnoxious -disruptive...I make noise to block out other noise. However I did have girly interests like particular fiction series.....I would just do thing like talk out-loud while replaying scenes from the novels in my head-daydreaming and such.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm

Withdrawn. Got picked on, presumably for being too quiet or being mixed race or whatever. Was abused a lot, too. Sadly, there was no place or anyone to turn to for help. How I'm alive to write this today is a mystery to me.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm

I remember for whatever reason; I ended up in a seat in some concealed corner. Worked for me; got to read all day :lol:

After 4th grade I got placed in special ed.

Author/Writer

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 12:36 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Oh, I wasn't the quiet good kid who did well in school but had no friends. I did poorly in school(despite the fact that I was assessed and had a Verbal IQ in the superior range -Verbal IQ is supposed to correlate with good grades in school) couldn't hold a pencil and had terrible penmanship and was inattentive like the OP said. The exception being when I was really interested in something I'd do really well in one area-like reading from grade 3 on. I spend most of my time daydreaming and twirling a string in front of my face-they'd try to take it away from me but I'd find another one - and/or humming or ripping paper. I wondered away from the classroom and did strange things. I was the pariah of the school and bullied by anyone I came into contact with. My teachers wrote things in my report cards like that I was always in my own little word and had strange behaviours and that I "let myself" be teased. Throughout elementary school I was assessed by many school psychologists- Asperger's didn't exist until I was 10 though-I was sent to a PPD expert and diagnosed at 13. Before that they had all sorts of theories about me -like that I had some sort of deep seated emotional trauma ect.

I wasn't the typical overlooked quiet girl. I could be very loud and obnoxious -disruptive...I make noise to block out other noise. However I did have girly interests like particular fiction series.....I would just do thing like talk out-loud while replaying scenes from the novels in my head-daydreaming and such.

^^^Me, almost exactly, except for the diagnosis. I was diagnosed with ADD at age 7. And I smelled horribly because I had poor hygiene from sensory problems with water and toothpaste. And my special interest in costumes led me to dress oddly very often.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 2:10 pm

I was incredibly hyperactive and distracted. I forgot to make homework most of the times. I had my first friend when I was 8-9, because my friend was the only interesting person in that class, all the others were plain boring. Teachers yelled at me a lot. I was often involved in first fights with my classmates. Despite this, my teachers have never told my parents because according to them it was useless telling them "hey, your child with AS and ADHD is doing a mess", since it was something they could alredy imagine.
I remember something from elementary school when I was 7. A mother once told me to stay away from her daughter because she thought I was dangerous. Whatever. I neither wanted to talk to her daughter.
Actually it wasn't bad. Teachers were always ready to forgive me after they had yelled at me because they thought I couldn't control myself. Also once my math teacher told me that "I could be sweet at times".

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

^^^Me, almost exactly, except for the diagnosis. I was diagnosed with ADD at age 7. And I smelled horribly because I had poor hygiene from sensory problems with water and toothpaste. And my special interest in costumes led me to dress oddly very often.

I also got the diagnosis of ADD too, at 12 years old, a year before the AS diagnosis. I had some sensory issues with washing as a very young primary schooler but then I started to like showering a lot-and didn't want to get out of the shower and no problem with toothpaste or teeth brushing. I wouldn't let my mum brush through my hair properly though.....I hated that feeling.....and I have thick frizzy hair so my hair was always a huge mess and I was teased about that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:57 pm

I was extremely extroverted and I talked about my interests a lot. I talked about lots of things to be honest. I would go up to anyone and talk about my interests if they would listen. I would also go up supervisors and strike conversations with them about different things. I'd also try to get them to invite me to their houses so that I could sleep with their children who also happened to be my classmates. I'd also talk to them about their weight and their teeth. I had no conscience or role models back than. I was a bad kid.

bluecurry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

I was an awful, awful child until I hit junior high. I talked way, way too much (I could spend an entire hour telling stories in class) and I hurt other kids because that was the only way I could interact with them - through rough-housing. Problem being that I was already 5'9" by Grade 6 and they were all still growing. I loved destroying things, even if they did not belong to me, and on top of my Asperger's I was also misbehaving because my parents were going through a divorce (that's expected even for "normal" children of that age, I think). One of my classmates' Mother still hates me more than a decade later and used to hang up on me when I called to talk to him. :roll:

I also had constant meltdowns because the teachers would talk too fast and I would become overloaded trying to listen to them. French class was terrible and after a while my French teacher decided that we needed a "key word" for when I was getting frustrated. Too bad that I could not communicate with the keyword. :? Never had any problems with my hygiene, but I used to refuse to eat at lunch because my sandwhiches were squishy and I can't stand having mushy stuff in my mouth.

I also sent babysitters packing. No, really. After a day with me and my brother they would either quit or call their parents crying because they did not know how to deal with us. I also made one of my teachers cry because I was having a meltdown and she didn't know what to do (she was a student teacher). She thought that I was hurt or sick or something, and got upset herself. I also found violence and blood halarious. I once set the desktop wallpaper of a school computer to a picture of a real severed head that I found on Google while searching about war crimes.

In all honesty, though, a lot of my troubles were not because of the Asperger's itself, as my Aspie-ness is mild and manageable with a few quirks. It was the way that it was being handled and the way that I was being raised, unfortunately. I can't say "I had Asperger's" as an excuse for my behaviour without being dishonest, really.

Did any of you have a problem as a kid where if a kid hurt you (even unintentionally), you would hit them without thinking? I used to get suspended multiple times year for punching other kids because they pinched me between a desk or bumped me while playing soccer. It was a reflex I was unable to control until I was older.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

I was the kid who was 'always' staring out of the window, thus frustrating the teachers who demanded my participation.

When they insisted that I participate, they soon became aggravated that I was 'always' the first to blurt out the correct answer.

They did not know how to handle a student who was either fully involved or fully disengaged.

By the time I got to high school, the teachers mostly ignored me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

I was a lot like I am now, really.I was quiet, a little aloof, but had a few friends throughout school. I was selectively mute for my first couple years of grade school, however, though I'd sometimes speak to the teacher. I didn't really get bullied at school--most the teasing I received was from my brother.

I did reasonably well in school academically, but had quite the lazy streak--I'd basically put in as little effort into my schoolwork as possible to still get a decent grade. I feel like, in some ways, I got by on natural ability (my ability to remember facts came in useful in exams, for instance). I was generally well-behaved in school, and a bit of a "rule boy" in that I adhered strictly to the classroom rules. I can remember getting in trouble only a few times. I tended to daydream a little, and in class I'd often skip ahead in class because the other kids would read too slowly for me. :P

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:05 pm

i was almost mute and only had one friend, i remember always being picked last for PE which was really upsetting at the time, i also had panic attacks a lot, and was bullied, it was not a time i care to remember, only emotions about elementary/primary school i remember feeling was anxiety. having said that though some students were really kind, i rememgber one girl helped when i had panic attacks, which for someone aged about 7 was really grown up i think

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:19 pm

A nerd.

Unsurprisingly, I got bullied a lot... Imagine the reaction from fellow pupils when you say that you are reading ahead in history class because you think it's interesting... in 5th grade. Learning to STFU the hard way...:?

Fnord wrote:
When they insisted that I participate, they soon became aggravated that I was 'always' the first to blurt out the correct answer.

I didn't reach this phase until I reached high school.

I recall several of my friends (both of them!) being frustrated by the fact that I would begin every statement with "I don't know, but..." and then provide the correct answer...

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

I was an obnoxious teachers' pet in elementary. I started withdrawing from everyone about fourth grade. Then it was more of the quiet one staring out the window, or with my head down on my desk.