Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 9:29 pm

Yes but I don't worry much about it anymore because I find most people seem to be acting/behaving younger than their actual ages these days, especially my generation. You think being a teen parent is a scary thought, imagine actually being of standard age to be a parent while still thinking/behaving like a teen.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 1:55 am

I've always felt this way.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:38 pm

I look younger, and for the longest time, felt younger. I still do a little. But more often anymore, I've started acting more like an adult.

HammorHorror
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

I feel like i'm still 13 and not an 18 year old.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 1:53 pm

HammorHorror wrote:
I feel like i'm still 13 and not an 18 year old.

Aspies "usually" have an emotional age equal to 2/3 of their actual age. In that sense you are only 12 emotionally...probably a very true feeling you have.

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

Yes, definitely. In many ways, I still feel like a child inside, especially because I still haven't taken responsibility for certain parts of my life that my friends have long since mastered for theirs...

Elensar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

Definitely. I feel younger then most of my roommates, even though only one of them is older then me. Other guys who are as much as 6 years younger than me seem older, or at least more mature.

I feel sometimes that I need to date girls that are 18-19 so that I can date somebody that is comparable in maturity; although even than some girls are more mature. And than I have girls at that age who don't want to date me, because I'm too old for them. (I'm 24 years old by the way.)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 12:50 am

I've felt this way ever since entering high school. It was then that my peers started leaving me behind emotionally. My best friend got her first boyfriend in 10th grade and my younger step sister was smoking and lost her virginity at 14. In spite of the fact that I was older than 2/3 of the kids on my debate team, they all treated me like the innocent baby of the family because my emotional maturity was so much lower than theirs. I appreciated their protection, but it's been a long time since I've really felt on anyone else's emotional "level." At 20 I still live at home, jobless, and have never been on a real date or ever even asked to a school dance. I don't really mind most of the time, but sometimes, when I see my little sister picking up boys left right and centre at 15, I can't help but feel a little jealous that I don't have that kind of skill.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 2:16 am

I've often felt younger than my actual age. As an earlier post said, I'll also be 50 this year... but I still enjoy DJing and electronic dance music (house, techno, trance, etc.) a lot. Most of my peers can't stand it anymore, and would rather listen to oldies, ballads, country, etc. Not for me! :lol:

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2013, 12:32 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
sometimes, when I see my little sister picking up boys left right and centre at 15, I can't help but feel a little jealous that I don't have that kind of skill.

It isn't a skill, StarTrekker, or a sign of maturity. Teenage boys are the randiest creatures in creation and any teenage girl who is sexually active is not going to have a problem picking them up. It's nothing to be jealous about.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

Feel younger, look younger, dress younger, act younger... am younger. 8)

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:19 pm

Emotionally and socially much younger.
I dress younger.
In every other regard I feel way older.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I've felt this way ever since entering high school. It was then that my peers started leaving me behind emotionally. My best friend got her first boyfriend in 10th grade and my younger step sister was smoking and lost her virginity at 14. In spite of the fact that I was older than 2/3 of the kids on my debate team, they all treated me like the innocent baby of the family because my emotional maturity was so much lower than theirs. I appreciated their protection, but it's been a long time since I've really felt on anyone else's emotional "level." At 20 I still live at home, jobless, and have never been on a real date or ever even asked to a school dance. I don't really mind most of the time, but sometimes, when I see my little sister picking up boys left right and centre at 15, I can't help but feel a little jealous that I don't have that kind of skill.

You remind me of myself. I had a few friends in elementary school, but once I hit age 13 and entered junior high, it was like everybody around me had suddenly grown up over the summer and were more interested in things like boys, fashion and being popular, while I still had the mentality of a child. Now I am just starting to have the mentality of a teenager when all of my friends, both current and former, are either in college, in serious relationships or even getting married. I do feel a little left behind, like you see those movies and TV shows where a kid gets bullied and ignored at school and grows up to become even more successful than his/her peers, but that didn't happen with me. I started off at the bottom rung of the social ladder and I have stayed that way my whole life. I admit that I do have a huge ego (I consistently score high on tests that measure narcissism), but in reality I am a nobody. I'm a legend in my own mind and little else.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

No, In fact I don't feel younger than my peers. I generally feel on the same level as my peers, as far as emotional and intellectual maturity. However, my social skills are way behind.

But how do you really quantify something like maturity, anyway? As if something as immensely complex as the human mind and character could be fit onto such a simplistic scale.

Eingana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2013, 3:35 am

I would defiantly say I feel and look younger. I'm 29 and about to graduate this year and I would say I feel and look about the same age as everyone else at uni, which is about 21. Saying this thought, because I have been in the big wide world, half of my personality traits come from ones i learnt when I was young and before I was at uni and the other half come from those I have learnt in areas of work so I've been told I am very chameleon like.

donothing1979
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2013, 8:21 am

i've never been called "mature". it has cost me a lot.

i get really easily frustrated and quite angry quickly.

when i used to freelance, and i remember that i would making faces at my clients while talking to them over the phone. ;D sometimes, i'd even give the finger to my phone.