[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEd6MNihlg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
:lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

I'm glad Bidenisms have replaced Bushisms.

Also I like how Biden assumes everyone lives in a nice secluded place in the woods without crime.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm

I especially like it when he advises people to commit such crimes as felony menacing and felony reckless endangerment, not to mention potential felony negligent homicide. I don't know if I'm happier that he's not my lawyer or not my neighbor, the man sounds like a menace either way.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
I especially like it when he advises people to commit such crimes as felony menacing and felony reckless endangerment, not to mention potential felony negligent homicide. I don't know if I'm happier that he's not my lawyer or not my neighbor, the man sounds like a menace either way.

Here, you could also get busted for misdemeanor brandishing, discharging a weapon in public, (unless aiming at someone to shoot in self defense), or assault with a firearm among other possible felonies. Not only is Biden's advice illegal and physically inadvisable due to heavy recoil, but it's also a good way to get a psychiatric evaluation in many jurisdictions. That, plus you are likely to get away with those things when you are married to a senator VP, so it's not like any personal defense advice will matter for her since she will always have a secret service detail now. It's easy to say "all you need is a double barrel shotgun" when you have a team of people carrying weapons like M4s, MP5s, FN P90s, SIG 229s for sidearms, with heavier stuff in reserve and all with magazines larger than 10 rounds.

-Sigmund Freud

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:45 am

John_Browning wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Here, you could also get busted for misdemeanor brandishing, discharging a weapon in public, (unless aiming at someone to shoot in self defense), or assault with a firearm among other possible felonies. Not only is Biden's advice illegal and physically inadvisable due to heavy recoil, but it's also a good way to get a psychiatric evaluation in many jurisdictions. That, plus you are likely to get away with those things when you are married to a senator VP, so it's not like any personal defense advice will matter for her since she will always have a secret service detail now. It's easy to say "all you need is a double barrel shotgun" when you have a team of people carrying weapons like M4s, MP5s, FN P90s, SIG 229s for sidearms, with heavier stuff in reserve and all with magazines larger than 10 rounds.

Let them eat cake.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:50 am

Whilst I like the whole, "git off mah lawn" angle (I'm not going into how warning shots are a no-no; if you have time to fire some, you have time to retreat, and if your back is against a wall, well, it's your life that's in your hands, and warning shots only make noise and send projectiles off into the world -- you should account for all rounds fired and where they end up), a 12 gauge double is a poor weapon for a female, as said video shows (even if it doesn't show a double; singles and pumps, but the weight and caliber are similar).

Long barreled hunting ones are too unwieldy in the home, whereas short barreled coach guns bash* females and newer shooters up when in 12 gauge (20 is better, but sometimes 20s are lighter than 12s, and when combined with serious ammunition, can kick similarly).

A low recoiling carbine is a much better choice for a female/new shooter. You give up power per shot, but that's how these things work. You need the extra shots here to make up for the lack of power.

*[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxttLvd5Zgc[/youtube]

A double (two triggers) is my choice, but that's my choice and I wouldn't force it on others (coach guns do kick, and whilst it doesn't matter when hunting or defending yourself, it matters when you practice; if you're getting beat up in practice, it's not going to make you want to).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:02 am

Of note, a .410 double would be fine for a female shooter (coach sized), as long as buckshot was used and one had a shell holder or ammo pouch (2 in the gun plus 6-8 reloads on the butt is decent).

Pump, lever or semi .410 too.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:39 am

The .410 is a poor self-defense weapon. Ammo is available for that purpose but is inadvisable unless that's all you can get access to. They wee designed for small animals like rodents, musteloids, and [north american] reptiles, and some smaller farm animals. A .410 bore shotgun based on the AR-15 was introduced in the US, but failed to catch on. That cartridge just enough demand to be mass produced by major manufacturers though it has very few applications that other calibers couldn't do better. It is often one of the last things left on the shelf during panic buying.

-Sigmund Freud

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:54 am

Nah, it's fine from a long barrel.

A basic .410 3" 000 buck shell has five balls in it at a little over 1000 feet per second. Two shots from that would be equal to 10 .380s (a 000 ball will do about the same tissue damage as any .30-.38 cal non-expanding projectile from a pistol). A .410 rifle slug is about the same as a .44 Magnum handgun; though the buckshot would be much better up close. A .410 up close will be more effective than a .223 Remington for the most part per shot (whether slug or buckshot).

Nothing to sneeze at, especially when compared to handguns.