Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

bluecurry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2013, 1:06 am

...how does a person go about finding what they want to do in life?

For me, success is being happy. My family tells me that just "being happy" is not success, that having it all is a better goal, I've never been a person who wants a tonne of belongings (in fact, I find it upsetting when I recieve gifts that I'll never use). I hate clutter. I think it's unsightly. I would much rather live comfortably, and have peace with myself. Yet, I feel like I'm at a crossroads, that I'm sort of stuck in the middle of a intersection and don't know how to cross any further. Now *that* is unsightly, to me.

I spend most of my time on the computer. I used to do 3d art, I play games, I work with Vocaloid occasionally, ect.. People I know tell me that I should pursue computers as a career. But I find them incredibly BORING. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I use the computer more as a means to an end - a tool to communicate with others and waste time, to distract myself from depression. I'm not passionate about it.

I'm under a lot of pressure to get my sh*t together. To find what I want to do, and start training/educating myself to turn it into a career. But the more my family tries to stick their nose in it and the harder I try to find what I want to do in life, the more confused I become. Instead of finding clarity when I reflect on my own actions, I've instead become to doubt that I'm passionate about anything at all.

Did you ever find what you were really passionate about? And if you did, did this passion ever turn into something useful, something successful?

Maybe this belongs in the Work forum, but meh.

Damn I wrote another flop thread.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 6:46 am

You answered your own question in the second sentence. Other people have their own definition of success, but it never works to bow to external influence. It's almost dishonest in a way.
As for finding a perfect career, I think most people just find something they can work with vs seeking some ultimate fulfillment. If you can map out a general idea of what you can work with and what the dealbreakers are, that might point you in a direction that's feasible for you. If great financial gains isn't a part of your vision, so be it. As long as the bills are covered, then why be bulldozed into making a decision right away?