Perception of time and executive function.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

Alright without going into details I think it's obvious that many of us have trouble with time so here's a thread for novel ways of dealing with it.

Last edited by Stoek on 18 Mar 2013, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 8:41 am

I've been using a metric clock now for about a month.(this link has one http://www.metricclock.com/ )

I got to say it was exceptionally confusing at first, but once I started using it, my perception of time improved.

In this system your are pretty much forced to think in minutes not hours, which is super beneficial. As when you think in hours your are constantly rounding. When your just counting minutes you really do get better time management.

Again in our modern world there is no more important of a measurement than time, yet it's the one measurement system where most people are amateurs after a life time of use.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 8:48 am

I plan to buy an attractive hourglass and put it on my desk. Watching sand pour down gives a good visual impression of how time only goes in one direction.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 8:56 am

faithfilly wrote:
I plan to buy an attractive hourglass and put it on my desk. Watching sand pour down gives a good visual impression of how time only goes in one direction.
Good idea.

I'm looking into getting light therapies. Basically lights that simulate the movement of the sun. So in early morning the light in the room has a bright bluish hue, and turns to bright orange by mid day, nad back to blue. I also wanna put it on a pivot, so it's direction changes throughout the days as well.

I'm quite convinced, that aspiess are a people who need sunlight to tell time.

I've always noticed that I'm best able to tell time while outdoors on sunny days, it's the only time when I feel hours don't go missing.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 9:00 am

My executive functioning problems meet sleeping problems, jetlag from visiting the Mr. in the US, different times on every media device due to different times zones and daylight savings, the fact I'm long-term unemployed, and that I can't see the time on either of my clocks...nope, I've given-up on trying to get along with the concept of time.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

Stoek wrote:
I've always noticed that I'm best able to tell time while outdoors on sunny days, it's the only time when I feel hours don't go missing.

I too find that the hours seem to go missing without sunshine in the day. Today is one of them.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 11:57 am

I'm hyper-vigilant . . . constantly aware of time passing. But at the same time, stuck in the present. I never seem to get into the bigger picture.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

I don't have poor perception of time. I'm quite good with timing things, and I wear my watch all the time when I go out. In fact I get a little stressed when I'm with somebody who does have a poor perception of time (yes, it occurs in some NTs too).

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

Time is what I see when I look at the clock -- nothing more. If I need to keep track of it, I wear a watch with timers and alarms that I can set...the watch tracks time for me, and I respond when it beeps.

Love transcends all.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

faithfilly wrote:

I think this would backfire for me, as I would be tempted to sit and stare at it all day. :D

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I'm hyper-vigilant . . . constantly aware of time passing. But at the same time, stuck in the present. I never seem to get into the bigger picture.

Same for me unless I'm hyperfocusing on something else. I have dissociative identity disorder so when an alter takes over, I can't tell what they're doing, but I am never surprised by how much time went by.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

18 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

I have a decent sense of time but am a super procrastinator so am late all the time

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
Time is what I see when I look at the clock -- nothing more. If I need to keep track of it, I wear a watch with timers and alarms that I can set...the watch tracks time for me, and I respond when it beeps.

I wear a watch w/ 5 alarm settings just in case I want to set alarms for things.. I rarely do though. It does beep on the hour, every hour, which helps.

Tyri0n wrote:
I have a decent sense of time but am a super procrastinator so am late all the time

Yeah, kinda ditto. My sense of time and various executive functions for planning & visually seeing the bigger picture and noticing things in my visual field has improved significantly over the past several months, but I'm still a big time procrastinator.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

With each activity I do, I try to figure out distinct 'units' that are salient to me in that activity. Easiest is when I'm watching pirated TV shows - each episode is a unit.

Then I figure out how long each unit is, and tell myself how much time I have in terms of units of the activity I want to do. For example 'I can watch one more episode, then it's lunchtime'.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

Ettina wrote:
With each activity I do, I try to figure out distinct 'units' that are salient to me in that activity. Easiest is when I'm watching pirated TV shows - each episode is a unit.

Then I figure out how long each unit is, and tell myself how much time I have in terms of units of the activity I want to do. For example 'I can watch one more episode, then it's lunchtime'.

I do that with songs on the radio, assuming they're about 3minutes each.