19 Mar 2013, 7:55 am

Zodai wrote:
As individuals.

I find it very hard to do that as they often act in such similar ways

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:09 pm

People are just people to me. Strangers can be daunting sometimes, especially women in their 60s with that short non-descript hairstyle and that stiff expression who decide they can make me feel small by staring at me funny or peering at me as they walk past like I'm doing something wrong. I look upon them as judging machines. The other day I was walking on my own through quite a busy town, and there was a lot of teenagers about in groups, acting a bit obnoxious and looking a bit intimidating, but not one of them mocked me or stared at me or anything like that, so I know I'm not all that weird enough to be pointed out in public and judged.

But I'm not happy about how the human mind works. I feel as an Aspie I've got to be so careful of what I say and how I say it, because it doesn't take a lot for people to start judging you. I've got to learn to back away and not tell certain people so much of my business. I've already learnt not to talk non-stop to people about my special interests because that's what made me lose friends before. I find people so shallow and closed-minded, not all people but I have come across a lot of people like that.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:41 pm

How do I view people?

As deceitful to the core, protect themselves at all costs, always working out a way to get what they want no matter who they step on, happy to manipulate the honest and gullible, selfish and inconsiderate, liars with superiority complexes.

There is the exception of a very rare few maybe thrown in the mix somewhere. Even the ones who seem nice, will resort to protecting themselves at your cost if it comes down to it.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:43 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
How do I view people?

As deceitful to the core, protect themselves at all costs, always working out a way to get what they want no matter who they step on, happy to manipulate the honest and gullible, selfish and inconsiderate, liars with superiority complexes.

There is the exception of a very rare few maybe thrown in the mix somewhere. Even the ones who seem nice, will resort to protecting themselves at your cost if it comes down to it.

Isn't this just the survival instinct that qwer (not sure of his name) has been talking about

I'm not saying I like it but I can see where it comes from

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:50 pm

nessa238 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
How do I view people?

Isn't this just the survival instinct that qwer (not sure of his name) has been talking about

I don't see that as survival instinct. Survival instinct by my definition, means ensuring in a fair and decent way, that you have what you need to survive, not destroying other people. That's just greed and competitiveness (which you don't have to be ruled by to survive) coupled with lack of morals and ethics.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
How do I view people?

I don't see that as survival instinct. Survival instinct by my definition, means ensuring in a fair and decent way, that you have what you need to survive, not destroying other people. That's just greed and competitiveness (which you don't have to be ruled by to survive) coupled with lack of morals and ethics.

It's one of a variety of different survival strategies and a surprisingly popular one, which could well imply something

ie that to a certain extent it works

People tend to do what gets them what they need

I happen to think you do need a certain amount of competitiveness to survive too

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

it works...but at what cost? Look at the state of society, the world, mankind.

A little bit of competitiveness where it doesn't hurt others, fair enough. But this rats deserting a sinking ship mentality, the greed and entitlement of people in general?

I wouldn't care if everyone except me was like that, I don't want to be that way.

I'd love to have all sorts of things, but I'm not prepared to make others suffer to get it.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

whirlingmind wrote:

A little bit of competitiveness where it doesn't hurt others, fair enough. But this rats deserting a sinking ship mentality, the greed and entitlement of people in general?

I wouldn't care if everyone except me was like that, I don't want to be that way.

I'd love to have all sorts of things, but I'm not prepared to make others suffer to get it.

Well that's puts you in a severe minority I'm afraid because most people are the opposite

What do you think causes wars?

The desire to compete and dominate for survival essentially

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

whirlingmind wrote:

Hmmm

So you are certain no human or animal ever suffers to bring you the trappings of your Western lifestyle?

Are you sure about that?

I'm certainly not as I know it's happening all the time

It's very hard to lead a totally ethical lifestyle

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_r ... o_war.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7824291.stm

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:40 pm

I'd rather be in the minority then.

I think that's going off at a tangent by bringing in suffering due to a Western lifestyle. That type of stuff is on a global scale and out of my hands, however I don't condone it.

I'm talking about individuals causing other individuals to suffer.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Zodai wrote:
As individuals.

I agree. I have found greedy nasty people to be in the minority. People everyday are volunteering, giving their time to help others.
Or just being kind, such as helping a struggling elderly person with their shopping, or giving a neighbour a hand to do something.

We notice nastiness more than the simple interactions of help.
Many people have been hurt by being judged for their behaviour by individuals, but go on to judge and resent others who they don't know.

Zombiebride, I hope enough good things happen for you so you are no longer afraid.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
I'd rather be in the minority then.

I think that's going off at a tangent by bringing in suffering due to a Western lifestyle. That type of stuff is on a global scale and out of my hands, however I don't condone it.

I'm talking about individuals causing other individuals to suffer.

Yes I know, out of sight, out of mind :wink:

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

Hey Nessa, you're referring to me :D (always happy when I see your posts :thumright: )

People are (predominantly unknowingly) simply taking part in the natural selection, which we call life.

Natural selection brings about some good things (cooperation is sometimes most beneficial to survival) and bad things (competition is sometimes most beneficial to survival).

All people have their specific way of participating in the natural selection. That's what we call personalities.

There's nothing more to it...life and people are simple (:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

Keni wrote:
Many people have been hurt by being judged for their behaviour by individuals, but go on to judge and resent others who they don't know.

...and there are those of us who have noticed a lot of it over the years, and despite this, still feel let down by people because they try to approach life with a bit of hope, but every time get proved yet again that the bad people are in the majority (no-one can be that unlucky), it's just degrees of bad.