Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sweetieeQ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. My name is Elizabeth. Thank you for allowing me to join your site :):)

I have just one question to start, and I realize theres probably a FAQ page somewhere. I just don't have the time to go through. thanks for your patience as I get used to your site.
I have a 25 year old Son, his name is Anthony.. Very intelligent young adult.. He used to be on, I think Atterol. Not sure of the spelling, and he took himself off it awhile ago, because he says it was making him focus to hard, and he didn't like the way it made him feel. So now he is on no meds at all, and he is coping with his Aspergers on his own..

How important is it for Tony to be on his meds, or is it possiable that he can live without taking meds?

You all are wondering why am I asking this when as a parent, I should know everything.. My son was raised mostly with living with his Father, and stepmother.. They had a more stable home than I, and made sense for him to live with them. I payed the child support, and it was a mutual decision. :):)

zette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

The drug name you gave sounds like it might be Adderall, which is used to treat ADHD. It helps increase focus, and may help reduce impulsiveness. Your son is an adult, and is the best person to judge how a medication makes him feel, and whether taking it is a net benefit or more problems than it is worth. Those of us with elementary school children have to use our observations of their behavior, progress in school, etc., to make the medication decision for them. I expect sometime in the mid to late teen years I will turn the medication decision over to my son.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

It sounds like you are worried that he's "gone off his meds" and that it might be dangerous for him somehow. From the very little bit that you posted, I would venture to guess that he will be fine without that particular med (if it is indeed Adderall as zette guessed). I doubt that his situation could be compared, for example, to people who are bi-polar or manic depressive for whom medication is a much more important part of helping them function and possibly avoid self-injurious or other dangerous behaviors. The common understanding here is that there really is no medication for Asperger's though many people with AS suffer from other co-morbid conditions like ADHD which can be treated with medication.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:45 am

People with Aspergers and other forms of autism often have a lot of the same type of executive function type issues that people with ADHD have. As others stated, Adderall is used to help with the focus and impulsivity that go along with that. It is often prescribed to children who need it, with the hope that they will not always need it once their brains have a chance to mature more. If they learn coping mechanisms while they are young, and their brains mature, they can often go off the meds as adults. They often still have issues with focus and impulsivity, but they have learned to manage it. Also some people do not like how it feels to be under the meds and would rather manage what they have to on their own. Unless you think he is having trouble maintaining a job, managing finances, or relationships and the like specifically because of focus and impulse issues, being off meds is probably not an issue.

Is your son independent? Does he have any issues that you are aware of?

sweetieeQ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

To Bombaloo. Anthony has been off his meds for a few years now.. I don't believe he is a serious danger to himself.. Being that I did not raise him as much as his Father did, I was never told much about Anthony's Aspergers other than I was told that Aspergers is a mild form of Autism. Right now he, and his Father are not talking to each other due to Tony's behavior. Taking cans of soda without asking, his Father considers this stealing, and has told him he has to move out by the end of April. I told my son he can come stay with my Mother, and I, but he is so connected with where he lives, he really does not want to move unless he really has to, and I do not blame him. If I could afford it, I would move back to Minnesota.

To ASDMommy.. Tony has, and can be independent.. He has had his own place with a room mate. He also has maintained his job since he first started working at age 16. He also has his drivers license.. He's pretty self sufficient, but he has a hard time with things right now reguarding his Father. He makes Tony feel like he is worthless, and Tony admitted to me last night that he was smoking cigarettes which he normally does not do.. He figures if he is so worthless than maybe he should just do what he wants. like smoking cigarettes.
He is a good man, is a christain, and goes to church when he can. Now that his dad and him are not talking, Tony really does not have a way to the Church.. Which I find so sad.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

Can he move in with his old room-mate? I am assuming since he is currently living at home, that he is not economically able to live on his own.

Autistic people do not like change, and moving can be one of the most stressful things imaginable to someone with Aspergers. It makes sense that he is stressed, which I am sure is why he is smoking. Is "stealing" soda from his house, the only reason he got in trouble? That sounds really minor, and it makes me wonder about your ex's issues. Could he make up with him temporarily and agree not to drink his dad's sodas so he has more time to work this out?

sweetieeQ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

His old roommate is now living with his girlfriend somewhere new.. He cannot afford to move out on his own, and I have tried to reassure him that there are ways to get help. like section-8, but he doesn't sound comfortable with that. He is smoking only occasionaly, and bums smokes from his friends.. His Father calls him worthless, so of course Tony now feels worthless. I told my Mother about the situation, and suggested Tony coming here by us. He's thinking about it, but says he knows Minnesota, unfortunately my Mother is almost 75 years old, and theres nothing more she would love to have him here, but my Brother, and his dog just moved in. So it close quarters for everyone here now. Very small house. If I could afford to move back to Minnesota, I would in a heartbeat, but I am dealing with medical issues myself that keeps me from working right now until my pain issues are resolved. Don't know when that will be. I haven't worked in over 1 1/2 years. Yes, the smoking, stealing .lieing, and of course the ex says he isn't taking care of himself hygenicly.. Which I can only amagine that's due to him being depressed.. I can tell in his voice.. I feel so helpless.

His Father wants nothing to do with him, and he tells Tony he doesn't want to talk to him, so Tony takes his laptop, and goes to his work ( McDonalds) and sits there day, and night just to avoid him. I had to talk him into going home, and getting some sleep. At least I hope he went home, and just didn't say it to make me feel better :( :(