Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Caley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2013, 8:44 pm

When my mom was in labor I had a stroke. My umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck, my mom had Preclampsia, I was malnourished, and other things happened. I weighed 4 pounds when I was born and all of my skin eventually turned grey. I was rushed to the ICU for babies right after my mom had her C section. They didn't know that I had a stroke until I was 4 days old. Then I was rushed off to neuro surgery right away. Either the surgery or the injury caused my Asperger's and many symptoms of Asperger's. I have a strong belief that if I didn't have a brain injury and didn't develope Asperger's, I wouldn't be a perfectionist. If I weren't a perfectionist, I would not have been interested in learning about beadwork(making beads or anything with beads). Then I would not have developed a passion for jewelry making and beadwork. I would not have wanted to start my own online business. I have a wonderful jewelry and business mentor who speciallizes in teaching people with Asperger's. She teaches me about nonverbal cues and how to act professional. She also teaches me jewelry techniques and how to perfect my jewelry even more. My life is full of happiness because I have a brain injury that lead to me having Asperger's.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

Caley wrote:
When my mom was in labor I had a stroke. My umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck, my mom had Preclampsia, I was malnourished, and other things happened. I weighed 4 pounds when I was born and all of my skin eventually turned grey. I was rushed to the ICU for babies right after my mom had her C section. They didn't know that I had a stroke until I was 4 days old. Then I was rushed off to neuro surgery right away. Either the surgery or the injury caused my Asperger's and many symptoms of Asperger's. I have a strong belief that if I didn't have a brain injury and didn't develope Asperger's, I wouldn't be a perfectionist. If I weren't a perfectionist, I would not have been interested in learning about beadwork(making beads or anything with beads). Then I would not have developed a passion for jewelry making and beadwork. I would not have wanted to start my own online business. I have a wonderful jewelry and business mentor who speciallizes in teaching people with Asperger's. She teaches me about nonverbal cues and how to act professional. She also teaches me jewelry techniques and how to perfect my jewelry even more. My life is full of happiness because I have a brain injury that lead to me having Asperger's.

Well, that is another and more positive way of looking at things Caley. Kind of refreshing.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

Hi, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

And congrats on your business.

And, I'll thought about the brain damage hypothesis. Even though for most of my life, I have thought I'm 'smart,' maybe my brain is damaged in some ways and compensating in others.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

I've been pretty healthy but I too had the cord wrapped around my neck and spent my first weeks in ICU too. I can't discount this hypothesis because although my father has some Aspie traits I am the only one in the extended family who is an Aspie.

Brain damage was never really suspected because I was light years ahead of classmates in school.

Caley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Thank you everyone for your positive input. I have finally met people with acquired brain injuries.

ForwardFallingBack
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2013, 7:10 am

I don't know if I had brain injury but they told em when I was born I had some kind of bacteria or virus and they had to treat me for it, I don't know how.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

Caley wrote:

Hi Caley :farao: :nemo: :sunny:
Reading what you wrote is really interesting. It's such an enigma how strokes, seizures, even just in some cases regular genetics.
I can definitely see a connection between strokes causing Autism and seizures triggering it as well!
Hopefully in the future there will be research in these areas =)