Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 6:37 am

Some questions. My cousin who is 13 wanted to see Lady Gaga in concert when she came to Seoul. However, my cousin couldn't go since she's too young. Is there a age limit at some concerts? I know that Lady Gaga dresses weird and may use profanity, but still teen girls like her too. I think her concert in Seoul the fans had to be at least 18. Not sure what the drinking age in Seoul is. I then randomly saw another rap artist coming to another state, but that concert was only for people 21 and up. Is alcohol served at all concerts? I have only attended Christian, country and pop. I never attended a rap, reggae, R and B, heavy medal, alternative, punk concerts. I think I saw some live concert on TV of Blink 182. They do use profanity and some sexual explicit lyrics but I can tell that there were plenty of teen girls at the concert. It's strange. Is alcohol served mostly at outdoor concerts? For instance from what people tell me the concert on Preakness Day can be filled with drunken people. But there seems to be no age limit to go to Infield. :?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:27 am

There are definitely age restrictions on some concerts, and many are held at venues where alcohol is sold. Unrestricted concerts are often listed as "all ages" in the US, usually meaning that no alcohol will be sold. Sometimes they will issue different colored ID bracelets at the door to indicate who is a minor and who is not. It all depends on the venue. I would check it out first before sending a kid there alone.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm

So if a concert is 21 and up only, then alcohol will be served? But a co worker told me that her daughter went to see Maroon 5 and alcohol was served and her daughter was telling her how she saw a lot of drunk people. Her daughter is just 12.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm

It depends on the venue and the drinking age where you are I suppose. If it's at a bar then underage people usually can't get in. Most of the concerts I've been to were at the Civic Center, Boutwell Auditorium, Legion Field (football stadium where the Iron Bowl used to be in Bham), and now they have them at the Oak Mountain Ampitheater. They have served alcohol at the Stones concert at Legion Field and also at the Ozzy concert back in the 80's. (I believe it was Ozzy)

Funny story about that Ozzy concert. I don't remember for sure that it was Ozzy (although I saw him twice) but I remember going to that concert with a guy when I was 17. He had told me he was 19, which was the drinking age at the time, and I believed him. He was very tall, very muscular, and was pretty hairy all over. Real facial hair not the kind that teenage boys usually get. Anyway, they sold beer at the concert and we both drank so he went to get us two beers each. There was a cop back there behind the bar to keep the peace or something and Scottie asked for four beers and then looked at the cop and said "You need to see my ID?" Cop said "Nope, only the folks I think are underage" and he paid for our beers and we went back and watched the show.

He drove my car on the way back and we dropped off the other couple that went with us and then we went back to his house. He invited me in and his mother was in the livingroom. She said something about it being late and asked me how old I was and I told her I had just turned 17 and I know he was almost 20 but I didnt' think the age difference was all that much and she said "He told you he was 19?" I said yes and she said "Scottie is 13 years old!" Lovely huh? She wasn't mad at me, he looked older and he did that sort of thing all the time. He got in trouble, she apologized to me for him lying and asked me if he had at least paid for the tickets to the concert which he had. Big bucks, $6.50 each back then for good seats lol!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

I was 20 and seeing the Beastie Boys at Boutwell and a cute guy was chatting me up in the audience, then when the show was over, he said, "Wait here while I go find my mom. She's picking me up." I ran away. :oops:

But usually the concerts where they serve alcohol, you need a special wristband or something to prove you're old enough to buy it and they limit the amount you can buy at one time so you couldn't buy more than say, 2 drinks at once.

When I was 21 some teenage kids gave me $20 and asked me to buy them some beer. I said okay and went into the store. When I came back, they were gone. :lol:

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

I randomly saw a concert in Texas on youtube that happened in 2008. I was shocked to see a beer bottle being thrown at the singer. I clearly saw a bodyguard or a member of his band running backstage with the singer. The singer had to be rushed to hospital and he needed stitches. OK so why bother going to a concert only for that person to throw a beer bottle at the singer? If alcohol wasn't served, would this haven't had happened? Has anyone been to any rap, hard rock, or hip hop concert where people get so drunk and acted crazy? What about mosh pits? Or women exposing their chest? Why is it that rap concerts tend to attract more violence?? I don't think Will Smith was like gangsta rap.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 8:01 pm

I once got sucked into a nasty brawl at a Motorhead concert. It is sometimes not clear where the mosh pit begins. Waiting to get through security at this concert, a guy ahead of me on the line was ejected for having a length of chain wrapped around his boot, under his pants-leg.It is good to let kids go to concerts, but go with them if possible.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:34 am

WHAT??

This is just an example. I randomly searched through Pitbull/Ke$ha's concert tours throughout US and Canada and came across the Denver one. Not sure if there is a meet and greet at every city or just various ones. But the charge is high!

https://v2.iloveallaccess.com/tours/pit ... 9bVwLjAwVv

I thought when you get a meet and greet, that you WIN the pass and not pay extra. I know certain fan clubs are free memberships and some charge a small annual fee. But with being a fan club member you get access to tickets before the general public and a chance to win backstage pass. I don't know. But other bands are like $1000 to see them backstage. WHAT??

For instance I met a singer backstage. I paid $40 for the annual fan club fee. He always comes to the DC area once a year. So as a fan club member of his, I got to get tickets before general public and it's usually the first 3 or so rows that are most likely reserved for his fan club members. The Admin then randomly selects 5 fan club members to have a chance to meet him backstage at NO COST. Who would spend $500 plus to see a singer backstage? I looked at One Direction too and they are high too! Would you pay this much money for your pre teen or teen daughter???

One Direction VIP Packages are all sold out, but this is just an example of the cost!

http://www.vipnation.com/programs/one-direction-2013/

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:02 am

It depends on the artists and how they are rated on each country.

Around here Sum 41, Blink 182, and so on have been over 18 until recently.
This means that they lost quite a lot of their audience.

So they are starting to make under18 concerts where no alcohol is served and they bring one of this artists a year.

Its a bit weird.

The worst concert Ive gone to was probably Ska-P´s latest concert with other similar groups(one of the other main bands name would be translated as heavy drug users).
As a coincidence I was only going there for the least known band who didnt promote drug abuse or anything(I left midconcert once they were done and I was on a state that was poor enough)

I wasnt even in and the guys next to me were already giving me a beer and asking if I wanted to share some weed with them(one of them dismissed a comment I said about missing the band I wanted to see, I stood up for myself and they thought it was somewhat admirable that I did that while I was on my own and they were 5 people I guess).

N.B: If theres a required age the ads for the concert should state which is it usually in small print...

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 7:06 am

I like all kinds of music. I did get a email back from Alan Jackson's fan club for instance. It's $20 or so to join his fan club. You get to buy tickets before general public so you tend to get the best seats. Also about a week or so before the concert that you paid for, you may get an email saying you won backstage pass to meet Alan in person. This thing is FREE. The fan club management I guess randomly selects fan club members at each city. So you can meet Alan for FREE but how come you got to pay like $300 plus to meet Maroon 5 backstage?? I guess country concerts isn't as crowded?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I like all kinds of music. I did get a email back from Alan Jackson's fan club for instance. It's $20 or so to join his fan club. You get to buy tickets before general public so you tend to get the best seats. Also about a week or so before the concert that you paid for, you may get an email saying you won backstage pass to meet Alan in person. This thing is FREE. The fan club management I guess randomly selects fan club members at each city. So you can meet Alan for FREE but how come you got to pay like $300 plus to meet Maroon 5 backstage?? I guess country concerts isn't as crowded?

Because Maroon 5 is a bunch of whores.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

Ganondox wrote:
luvsterriers wrote:

Because Maroon 5 is a bunch of whores.

Money hungry in other wards.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Unless the venue is in a bar at night, or otherwise specified as being over 18, or over 21, shows here in the US are generally all ages. --I have personally never seen a show here in the US that was not age restricted unless it was in a bar that was serving alcohol at the time.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 7:51 am

Ok for example Pitbull does concerts around Miami a lot and it appears at some nightclub. So I assume those type of concerts would be over 21. A co worker's daughter went to see Maroon 5 in concert and she saw alcohol being served. The girl is just 12. South Korea must have stricter laws.

How far have any of you gone to see your favorite singer/band? Pitbull is coming to Atlantic City and Holmdel NJ and those are the two cities near me. I thought about going to the one in Dallas, since I have a friend who's a surgeon at the hospital near by the concert. My college often has tons of concerts. One Direction came to my college. Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull came two years ago to my college but I didn't know about Pitbull back then :(

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 9:44 am

luvsterriers wrote:
Ok for example Pitbull does concerts around Miami a lot and it appears at some nightclub. So I assume those type of concerts would be over 21. A co worker's daughter went to see Maroon 5 in concert and she saw alcohol being served. The girl is just 12. South Korea must have stricter laws.

How far have any of you gone to see your favorite singer/band? Pitbull is coming to Atlantic City and Holmdel NJ and those are the two cities near me. I thought about going to the one in Dallas, since I have a friend who's a surgeon at the hospital near by the concert. My college often has tons of concerts. One Direction came to my college. Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull came two years ago to my college but I didn't know about Pitbull back then :(

Differant places have differant Liquor laws. Ex, I've been to shows in Maine where a bar cannot serve alcohol period when they are doing an all ages show. In South Carolina, I've been to shows where alcohol is serves at all ages shows, but people are given differant colored wristbands if they are over or under 21. In California and Missouri, I've been to all ages shows where alcohol is served, but in a differant area of the venue where those under 21 are not allowed.

Differant contries will of course have differant liquor laws. In Germany for example, 12 year old kids are, (or at least were in the past) served alcohol if accompanied by responsible adults, IE, Parents, Teachers what have you. If you're 16 years of age in Germany, you can buy and consume alcohol, (or at least beer) without adult supervison.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

luvsterriers wrote:
I randomly saw a concert in Texas on youtube that happened in 2008. I was shocked to see a beer bottle being thrown at the singer. I clearly saw a bodyguard or a member of his band running backstage with the singer. The singer had to be rushed to hospital and he needed stitches. OK so why bother going to a concert only for that person to throw a beer bottle at the singer? If alcohol wasn't served, would this haven't had happened?

I think so. In europe, where people get pretty drunk at concerts, you are not allowed to take something heavy throwable with you. So a small plastic bottle with water (if you really look like a nice person) is the best you can get. In the concert area you only get drinks in plastic "glasses", so if someone throws that, the drink will get out of the glass anyway (happens pretty often -.-), before the empty plastic glass itselfs hit someone. Also bottles are normally not allowed, because you could fill them, close them, and then you have a heavy throwing item. So if you dont look like trouble, they sometimes allow you small bottles around 0,33lt.

Quote:
Has anyone been to any rap, hard rock, or hip hop concert where people get so drunk and acted crazy?
As a wise and elder person I was personally present, when our village youth (so the bunch around 15-18) were founding the "Knights of the Holy Vagina" , and in comparison to Don Quixote and his windmills, declaring their war against the Dixie toilets (Being responsible that the years afterwards, the Dixie toilets got chained to each other. ^^). Blowing up food tins....terrorizing people at 5:00 clock with that damned sport cheer sirens, chasing naked injured drunken people, that are not willing to go to the Sani "because he could send him to hospital and then he would miss his concert", .... Sadly I only started visiting festivals, when I already was around 25, so at that age you are supposed to drink moderate and look for the younger ones, that dont know how to drink moderate. If I would have started earlier festivals, I could have been the one doing nonsense, while others would have been responsible for me. ^^

Quote:
What about mosh pits?
Moshpits, walls of death and things like that, are not as violent as it seems. So its only about jumping around, letting your emotions go by physical movement and so on. So a bit of pushing while jumping together is tolerated, you also can do that on purpose if the opposite agrees. But its not about punshing others on purpose or forcing others to join in. Normally its young ones around 15-18 who try to be violent around a moshpit or a wall of death, because they simply dont know about these rules. Because of physical misadvantage against the majority of the festival visitors, they normally learn pretty fast. So either they get told, or as I have seen once at a young boy, who jumped violently against a girl that was outside the moshpit, you are pretty fast lying on the floor with a bleeding face. (Her partner was responsible for that.) So here are english moshpit rules as example: http://www.wikihow.com/Mosh-in-a-Mosh-Pit

Quote:
Or women exposing their chest?
I think when men can visit concerts naked, girls can expose their chests too. ^^

This might sound weird, but generally concerts and festivals are not dangerous, because most people are happy to be there, are in a good mood and lucky... So normally when you are pretty happy, you dont try to hurt other people. I would only recommend a companion if its about a very small person and if you visit a concert without fixed places. So as example if your 14 year old sister wants to visit a concert, she wont see much, because of many people being taller then her. Because of this there are often many smaller and younger ones more in front of stage. (Because normally if you are taller, its ok for you to let them in front of you.) If there is now a special song, or somethings that lets the crowd cheer, they push forward intuitive. So when you are a 14 year old little slim girl, and directly behind you 50 people are pushing forward, you cant do anything about it and are pressed against the fence or stuck in the front crowd. Normally the security between the crowd and the stage do check for people that are trapped against the fence and that dont have the strength to get free again, and help them. But if it was about my sister or brother, I wouldnt relie on that and feel myself more safe, if there was someone else around that at least can call the securities for help in case of emergency.