Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

Would people say this was an example of Hate Crime?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-gay.html

Crimes like this against people with Aspergers/ASD and people with learning disabilities really scare me

I see it as the price I might end up paying if I started thinking I could be 'just like the NTs'!

It demonstrates to me that people with Aspergers will always be very vulnerable to this kind of thing and we need to
be very sure of the kind of people we are mixing with

I also think three and a half years for such a sadistic crime is disgusting

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

That is horrible.

If it was a hate crime, it seems more likely to be a homophobic one than an ableist one.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
That is horrible.

If it was a hate crime, it seems more likely to be a homophobic one than an ableist one.

I know :(

I can't help thinking though that the Aspergers was what might have lead to the 'gay' abuse though
as people who get called gay as an insult are often just more placid, non-aggressive types and people
with Asperger's often present in a non-threatening, vulnerable manner

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

Whatever the letter of the law, it is an act of hate.

This leaves me fractured between a part that is shaking with rage, a part that is in tears and a part that is watching quietly from the side, saying "and this is what you have known about people. Proved again."

3.5 years? That is no justice at all.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:26 pm

It is a hate crime. It is a homophobic crime. It is an ableist crime.

It is what happens to us if we forget for even a minute that we are not NT, cannot be NT, cannot live as they live, cannot have what they have, cannot do what they do, and should not mix with them any more than absolutely necessary.

It is a perfect example of how a sizable minority of neurotypicals will treat anyone who presents as different in any way, if they are given the opportunity.

Publish THAT stuff in the mainstream media and watch the fur fly.

Stay home. Stay down. Stay quiet. Stay safe.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:29 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Whatever the letter of the law, it is an act of hate.

This leaves me fractured between a part that is shaking with rage, a part that is in tears and a part that is watching quietly from the side, saying "and this is what you have known about people. Proved again."

3.5 years? That is no justice at all.

I know

I think people with Aspergers/ASDs need to keep themselves VERY safe from this kind of situation as we invariably come out of it the worst!

We are no match for this kind of mentality; if we kid ourselves that we can be just like NTs and learn how to mix with them easily I think we are in great danger from this kind of thing happening

We should stick to our own kind where at all possible in my opinion or be alone as this can be the alternative!

He'd have been better off watching TV on his own than having this happen through his desire for the 'NT Party Experience'!

I hate them and their parties!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:30 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

It is what happens to us if we forget for even a minute that we are not NT, cannot be NT, cannot live as they live, cannot have what they have, cannot do what they do, and should not mix with them any more than absolutely necessary.

It is a perfect example of how a sizable minority of neurotypicals will treat anyone who presents as different in any way, if they are given the opportunity.

Publish THAT stuff in the mainstream media and watch the fur fly.

I totally agree :(

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 7:26 pm

The judge said, 'This whole evening seems to have as part of it good natured horseplay."

Good natured horseplay? Setting somebody on fire? I don't f*****g think so!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Would people say this was an example of Hate Crime?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... g-gay.html

Crimes like this against people with Aspergers/ASD and people with learning disabilities really scare me

I see it as the price I might end up paying if I started thinking I could be 'just like the NTs'!

It demonstrates to me that people with Aspergers will always be very vulnerable to this kind of thing and we need to
be very sure of the kind of people we are mixing with

I also think three and a half years for such a sadistic crime is disgusting

OMG. I cannot believe he didn't get charged with murder. It is definitely a hate crime, but on what basis hard to say.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

This is the most horrible thing I've heard of in a long time ... it is f*****g disgraceful that he wasn't charged with murder ... and only three and a half years imprisonment? Is that supposed to be funny?!

:evil:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 12:42 am

That's one of the reasons that I prefer to hang with two or three people or keep to myself. I don't want a crazy person at a wild party to shoot me just because my brain's different.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 1:08 am

BuyerBeware wrote:

<snip>

No. NO. H311 NO!

That approach *may* help you, personally, but it has NEVER helped a "people". Didn't help Jews against Romans - or Nazis. Didn't help Native Americans against White incursion. Didn't help Indians against British colonizers. Didn't help blacks in the American South. Didn't help gays against bigots.

No. NO. H311 NO!

The only thing this approach assures is that, when someone desecrates you in a horrible fashion, nobody else will say anything.

No. NO. H311 NO!

Get OUT! Stand UP! Be LOUD!

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 1:51 am

makes me glad I keep to myself

also how was he living alone under the age of 18

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2013, 2:19 am

3 1/2 years for murder? Talk about injustice. This makes me angry. :evil:

You are very likely an Aspie

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2013, 3:09 am

Does Hate crime law protect people with asperger?

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 3:18 am

chris5000 wrote:
makes me glad I keep to myself

also how was he living alone under the age of 18

I've had to investigate this myself and it's complicated!

"Renting accommodation

If you're under 18, the law says you aren't allowed to hold a tenancy. However, there are ways that a landlord can work around this. For example, a landlord could grant:

a tenancy that will be held on trust for you by a third party such as an adult relative or social worker, until you turn 18, or
a joint tenancy if a joint tenant is aged 18 or over.
As an alternative, you could sign an agreement with a landlord for a licence, which is different from a tenancy. Holding a licence means that you have the landlord's personal permission, rather than a legal right, to stay in the accommodation. You could then be granted a tenancy when you turn 18.

Landlords, including housing associations and local authority housing departments, may require a guarantor before giving a licence to someone under 18. If you move into local authority accommodation after leaving a children’s home, the social services department will often be the guarantor.

If you move into rented accommodation, you may want to claim Housing Benefit. Although there is no age restriction on claiming Housing Benefit, the amount you can get if you are under 35 and have no children is usually restricted."

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/h ... ousing.htm

He could well have come via the Children's Home route as his parents didn't seem to be on the scene re it being his 18th Birthday etc

His Father is mentioned in another article though.

"At the hospital before he died Steven told his father Kevin that: “A lad took a bottle out of a drawer and chucked it over him.

"The next thing he remembered was going up in flames."

At first nobody turned up for Steven’s party on Friday, June 22 last year where a neighbour had made a buffet and provided beer."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... ng-1777616

Where were his parents? Why was the neighbour doing his party for him?

Last edited by nessa238 on 22 Mar 2013, 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.