Page 1 of 15 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 11:24 pm

I believe in God.

So many of the religion threads on this forum boil down to this one argument. The one in this subject title.
Because I believe in God, in order to satisfy my intellect I have to have an answer to it.

So ladies and gentlemen of the WrongPlanet forum;
Why did God place us in this world, and then hide Himself from us?

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2013, 1:23 am

To test if we are willing to believe in Him. That belief would be meaningless if we had no way to convince ourselves otherwise. It is clear that God exists, but in the same way that it's clear that there are right and wrong actions, that the world really exists and we aren't just dreaming, that other people have minds of their own and we're not the only sentient being surrounded by a bunch of drones, etc. People can and sometimes do convince themselves that these things are false, but it's considered abnormal and/or unreasonable. If we deny the existence of God, it's a way to avoid responsibility. People can rationalize it with logic, but they do that because it's what they want to believe, however subconsciously. This should be clearly consistent with human nature - people can nearly always rationalize the conclusions they like.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 3:31 am

to the OP- a piece of god is inside yourself, from the time your spirit lit into being eons ago, until the time that god only knows. we [all that is or exists everywhere] are all god's way to know god better. we are the created and the creators.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 5:24 am

Because A. He either doesn't exist and is made up to explain that cannot be explained or B. He's afraid of us!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:17 am

"God" is nonsense.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:20 am

One of the things Jesus does, is separate the Sheep from the Goats,
in this world where the paid men in the white coats tell us science proves God doesn't exist,
when our peers think there is something wrong with us for believing in an "invisible man in the sky", yet we so want there to be a God and are so grateful for what Jesus did that we search for him, hoping he does exist, this shows God that we are the sort of people that Love him and will be suitable inhabitants of a world governed by Jesus.

If God appeared in the sky however, every evil selfish nasty person would admit they believe in God and maybe even act in a way to try and pretend they are good people.

They way it is done is the exact best way to determine those who want Gods Kingdom, and those who would prefer it not.

There is a scripture that says, God is not far off each one of us, if we search and grope for him, he will let us be found by him.

So he hasn't hid himself from us, unless we would prefer not to find him.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

I´ll answer that question if and when believers can give me a defintion of God. According to the gospel of John, God is logos (*), but it seems not everybody agrees with that, otherwise they wouldn´t be asking why God isn´t showing himself.

(*) En arché en ho logos, kai ho logos en pros ton theon, kai theos en ho logos. (In the beginning was the logos, and the logos was with the god, and (a) god was the logos.). Note that the translation of logos is open to interpretation. It can mean 'word', but it can also mean 'reason' and a few other things besides, most of which are abstract concepts and therefore immaterial.

Last edited by NewDawn on 22 Mar 2013, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:34 am

Nambo wrote:
yet we so want there to be a God and are so grateful for what Jesus did that we search for him, hoping he does exist, this shows God that we are the sort of people that Love him and will be suitable inhabitants of a world governed by Jesus.

In other words, wishful thinking.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:40 am

Me:Tag your it!!
God: god dammit!! How did you find me?!
Me:it was easy I just had to check the burning bush! It was a dead give away!
God: gah ok your turn to hide time for me to count to 100!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2013, 9:55 am

Because he somehow managed to annoy all the other gods, and he's worried that if he does any obvious miracles, they'll notice and beat him up. Gods are like that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:59 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Because A. He either doesn't exist and is made up to explain that cannot be explained or B. He's afraid of us!

c. We don't deserve to see Him.
d. We see Him all of the time, and we just don't realize it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

The Bible says there are many gods, but of course no one likes to talk about that. Or the part where Jesus says, "Ye are gods". That's right folks - go look in the mirror. That's what a god-child looks like. According to the Bible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

YippySkippy wrote:
The Bible says there are many gods, but of course no one likes to talk about that. Or the part where Jesus says, "Ye are gods". That's right folks - go look in the mirror. That's what a god-child looks like. According to the Bible.

ACTUALLY...

"The 'gods' know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken. I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.' But you will die like mere mortals; you will fall like every other ruler." -- Psalm 82:5-7 (NIV)

... and ...

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are "gods"'? If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and Scripture cannot be set aside--what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?" -- John 10:34-36

In the first instance, God is explaining why humans - His "children" - are doomed to die as mortals (they walk about in spiritual darkness).

In the second instance, Jesus is using the Pharisees' own Law against them to explain His purpose on Earth.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:17 am

Because he's tired of the constant bitching,whining,moaning and demands.I'd hide too.
He could also be worried about the paparazzi following him around.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

Fnord wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

c. We don't deserve to see Him.
d. We see Him all of the time, and we just don't realize it.

E. He is mad at us and hates our guts!
F. Doesnt want his identity revealed to avoid persecution for the wrath he has layed upon the lands
G. He doesnt want to lose at hide n seek!
H. He wants to be a Pokemon Master!!
I. Hes a peeping tom and doesnt want his cover blown!!
J. He doesnt want people to find out where he hides his Pokemon Collection so used the burning bush to distract moses so he can relocate his Pokemon cards!

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ42IMu7HIQ[/youtube] :lol: