XBox 720/Infinity/Whatever... and activation codes

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Would you buy an XBox 720 if it requires activation codes?
Yes, I'll be buying one, with or without the codes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'll probably buy one, but I'm not happy about the idea of codes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I might...but until I learn more they're a deal breaker. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Probably not, and for more than just activation codes (Kinnect, 24/7 internet, etc.) 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Not planning on it, but if there's sufficient "wow factor," maybe. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not with them. No way, no how. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
This poll is just way too early for me to give an answer. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

Xbox 720 Could Mean The End for Used Games (link)

I'm not sure when the official announcement is going to be made, but I can't see myself buying one if it requires a 24/7 internet connection & activation codes for all games. (I'm guessing backwards compatibility is out the window as well if these codes are coming, but I haven't seen much on that, either way.)

Just curious where others stand on this issue, and if I'm the one who's missing something. Especially since the PS4 is apparently not going to have them. Granted there's been no definite Yes/No answer to the question re: the PS4 yet, but it seems that's where they're headed.

I'm personally not all that interested in the morality of whether or not Microsoft should or shouldn't do it, that's their affair. I'm also not completely ruling buying one, either. But there would have to be something about it that completely blew me away, as in an order of magnitude above the PS4 before I made a move...Maybe I'd finally buy a new laptop to replace this dinosaur instead.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 1:48 am

Depends on how they handle it, I have been used to using CD Keys for PC Games already for over a decade.

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2013, 4:27 am

I can't say I'm interested in getting any of the new consoles anyway, but if I had to choose it wouldn't be the new Xbox. Activation codes I'm used to from playing on PC, but all this other stuff sounds as bad as what EA did with SimCity. We really don't know much about the new Xbox, though, and all of this is just rumourmongering at the end of the day.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

It's interesting that in the PC games market they'd (rather successfully) stopped used games from having much worth. Look at products like Steam, Origin, etc... PC gamers love Steam because the sales are fantastic, but in the end I have to remember that in the end it is a DRM service.

I have no plans to buy a next-gen console, myself. I'm looking forward to the new gen of consoles simply because the new tech will mean more PC games that have system requirements that challenge what PC tech can do these days.

When I did play console, one of my favorite things about console was swapping and trading games with others. When I was 13, this was a fantastic way to get to play some new games without dropping a ton of cash. I'm certain things like that would really be missed.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

Activation codes suck. Where is the product its not tangible goods, i don't want it. This sucks for us collectors. I like my box, artwork, booklet all OG aiiiiiiii

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:31 am

For now I have a 360, but I would seriously consider going back to PC gaming. Oddly enough one of the reasons to stay with consoles used to be they were cheaper than putting together a gaming PC, but I expect the price in new consoles to go up even more.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

There's no "Wasn't going to buy it anyway" option?

D:

Author/Writer