Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2013, 5:43 pm

i am with a health care worker 4 days a week to work on every day life skills. i am a 25 year old female who lives on my own.

i know how to clean, cook, take care of myself, how to pay bills, and go grocery shopping so its hard to find something for the workers to help me with. but my parents believe that i need to prove to them i can do all those things, before i stop working with health care workers.

what else is there to learn, if i already know the stuff that are day to day life skills?
what kind i do with them that will make them still help me with stuff, but not make it seem they are re-teaching me things i know how to do/

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

First have them test you. Do everything by yourself to see if you need any help extra help; because it is totally different doing these activities on your own. I just moved out a month ago and I already had a bill that was late because I didn't calculate the time needed for the post office.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

i've been working with them for a year and half, and i moved out last June. so i've been doing everything on my own since then and its tough to prove to someone when there is a worker looking over your shoulder all the time.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

Just knowing how to do the tasks isn't enough. Knowing how to organize your time so that you can get it all done and also how to make yourself do it when you aren't motivated are both very important things. Since you know how to do these things, maybe you should have your worker step back and let you handle things for a few days/weeks and then check in and see where you need improvement.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com