Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

over9000 wrote:
IT WORKED! Apparently one of the addons that allows me to download youtube videos (or convert them to sound files, couldn't tell, deleted them all) was causing the problem.
Hmm well, deletion was a bit of a sledgehammer approach and it would have been useful to know which add-on caused the problem, but at least the culprit was eventually found.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 10:09 am

over9000 wrote:
IT WORKED! Apparently one of the addons that allows me to download youtube videos (or convert them to sound files, couldn't tell, deleted them all) was causing the problem. I fell a little bit foolish for not suspecting them at first, but in my defense, this problem occured weeks after I installed said addons. Shouldn't it start annoying me with ads sooner?

If you like downloading Youtube Vids, try Minitube instead. Minutube is a standalone application, and not a browser plugin. Be forwarned however, it works with Youtube ONLY. --It may or may not be in the standard Ubuntu Repositories.

Also, I don't know what DE, Graphics card, and CPU your laptop has, but I've noticed that with GNOME desktop, it can hog memory and and run hot on an AMD/Nvidia System, due to the fact that uses libQT. Also, it has a bug that conflicts with the standard Flash plugin when both are in use. The best thing to do is use it only to search and download video files when you are not using the regular flash plugin.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2013, 2:24 pm

The funny thing was, I had at least four addons, simply because I wanted to download them in as many extentions as possible. (avi, mp4, mp3, ogg, wav, etc) Couldn't tell which one was causing the problem, so I nuked them all. I didn't use any of them for a long time anyway.

ThisIsMyUserName
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

Had the same problem, tried every malware, virus removal tool and rootkit removal tool to find nothing. The culprit is an extension called Youtube Mp3 Downloader. Been using it for months, but just a few days ago it started redirecting to adfly or purchasereviews, since last firefox update. It seems a security breach ocurred. This extension exists for chrome and IE, too, so I recommend anyone to remove this addon until further notice.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Mar 2013, 8:42 am

over9000 wrote:
I wanted to download them in as many extentions as possible. (avi, mp4, mp3, ogg, wav, etc)
Why not download once and convert to other formats locally using any of sox, lame, oggenc etc?
You can also extract the audio from video files to (pretty much) the format of your choice with ffmpeg, which will also convert between audio formats.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

This is MiniTube. You can either download Binaries from the site, or if you're running a Debian based Linux Distro, pop a Terminal and enter (sudo) aptitude (or apt-get) install minitube.

techtalknow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2013, 9:37 pm

There's a cool utility called ClamWin that clears and prevents all of that crap. If you have a Mac, try a utility called "Cocktail"...it runs UNIX Maintenance Scripts that should clear that all up

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

09 Apr 2013, 8:46 am

techtalknow, check the thread - the problem is resolved.
Also - ClamWin is for Windows, but the OP is not running Windows and this is not a malware issue.