How often do you view the world subjectively?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

How much of your time (if you give an estimate) do you spend both thinking and acting more subjectively than objectively?
Approximately 100 % of my awake hours 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Approximately 95 % of my awake hours 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Approximately 90 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 85 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 80 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 75 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 70 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 65 % of my awake hours 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Approximately 60 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 55 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 50 % of my awake hours 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Approximately 45 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 40 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 35 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 30 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 25 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 20 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 15 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 10 % of my awake hours 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Approximately 5 % of my awake hours 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 18

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 5:50 am

As a result of another discussion I realised I sometimes tend to view things too objectively. So I wonder how often you guys do this too.

Objective view of the world

- "My life is here to serve the world".

- There are more important things than my own life.

- I tend to forget my own needs sometimes.

- Things may be interesting in themselves, even if they don't really relate to my own life. (autistic obsessions for instance studying mathematics intensively that you are not going to make use of)

- Things may be important even when they don't really relate to my own life (or some of the lives of those I know/care about).

- Life doesn't have much purpose in itself. It's really just growing up, doing what you "should" do according to society, perhaps passing your genes on, and then you die.

- My life is not the most important thing there is.

Subjective view of the world

- "The world is here to serve my life".

- No things are more important than my own life.

- I always ensure that my needs are fulfilled.

- Things are only interesting if they relate to my own life in some way.

- Things are only important when they relate to my own life (or some of the lives of those I know/care about).

- Life has all kinds of purpose in itself. Life is so endlessly much more than just growing up, doing what you "should" do according to society, perhaps passing your genes on, and then you die.

- My life is really the most important thing there is.

Note: In the poll I'm not asking what you would like to do. I'm asking what you actually do in real life.

lamontge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2013, 7:22 am

For me I find I am mostly objective but I feel that it is a paradox, for with out subjective truth there would be no objective truth and vise versa.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 7:30 am

lamontge wrote:
For me I find I am mostly objective but I feel that it is a paradox, for with out subjective truth there would be no objective truth and vise versa.

Can you explain further? I'm not really sure what you mean ( :

Objectively ("in a cosmic sense"), the world and life just is. There is no purpose at all. Humans are simply existing and trying to ensure continual existence.

Subjectively ("among humans"). the world and life are everything. Life contains all kinds of purpose and meaning. Humans have real purposes and they should live their lives to the fullest. Nothing should hold them back from doing that.

The real "art" of living is turning an objective truth into a subjective truth and fully believe that subjective "illusion". That's why (some) people say the purpose of life is to create your own purpose with life. That's just stating the same thing in a different way.

Asperger people's real problem is that they insist too much on seeing the world and life as it truly is. You shouldn't. You should view everything through your own life, not in a "cosmic sense".

The more you live in an illusion, the more happy you'll be. It's somehow a paradox, but I understand that now.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:05 am

You are not viewing life more objectively. You are just having a different subjective opinion. No one can ever truly be objective.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:42 am

Ettina wrote:
You are not viewing life more objectively. You are just having a different subjective opinion. No one can ever truly be objective.

You are definitely right. I'm human, so all my thoughts are subjetive.

The terminology is more to explain my thoughts. I think people often consider science to be rather "objective".

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 10:02 am

An impossible poll and question to answer. I think most people think about everything subjectively because we need to attend to our own needs, however I do feel concern for the planet and things like global warming and bad things happening. My first thoughts would always be to protect myself and my loved ones.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 10:47 am

Ettina wrote:

Agreed

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

I have no idea where you're getting these ideas of objectivity and subjectivity from, especially since they seem to be your own subjective opinion. It isn't objective to try to be a cog in a giant machine. Hell, the most 'objective' actions you could possibly do are those you filed under subjective ones: Taking care of your own needs is something you objectively need to survive, and survival and procreation are the most 'objective' purposes you can possibly assign to life as a whole. That's coming from someone who isn't even interested in procreating, but I know I wouldn't exist without it.

Edit: It is impossible to view life in a purely objective fashion, as we all view it through our own lens.

Last edited by Urist on 23 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

This question sounds more like "Do you follow Western or Eastern cultural philosophy?"
The question you have asked is much too philosophically loaded to be answered so simply, and anyone read in philosophy would tell you that your subjective experience is tied in with the "big Other" (other subjective perspectives combined with objective reality [assuming it exists]).
There's no answer to this question, but I said 100% subjective because it makes the most sense.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

I'm quite surprised to find you think the question can be interpreted in so many ways.

lamontge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

The objective(external) and subjective(internal) is a paradox because you can not have one with out the other.

Objectively and Subjectively I can say
"The objective drives the subjective in turn creating more of the objective." and "The subjective drives the objective in turn creating more of the subjective."

Are we really subjective or objective?

What is the real question?

Are we human because we look at the stars? or do we look at the stars because we are human?

What came first the chicken or the egg? (I am allergic to poultry but I can eat eggs, where dose that leave us?)

At 10 o'clock in the afternoon on a Monday, how many pancakes will fit of the roof? Purple because pants do not wear elephants(yes I said pants do not wear elephants)

Humans once thought the world was flat, humans could never fly, travel faster than 25 mph, the moon was made out of cheese, dragons, magic, and monsters.

The simple truth is that as our subjective and objective selves and "cosmic view" expand the lines between reality and fantasy blur. It all becomes a point of view over time. A wave and a particle sometimes in two places at once.

In the end the only question that remains is you. What is your choice?
Will you live in the fantasy? Will you live in the outer world? Or will you work to bring those worlds together?

As to how or why we have that choice is beyond me, we are in the same boat.