Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Because of arthritis, it hurts to hold books and sometimes I am in too much pain to sit at my computer/laptop. I wish I could lie down and read, but after 5 minutes my hands will be hurting so badly I will just drop my book.

Does anyone have a Kindle? How do you like it? I would have to use savings to buy one, so I am thinking about it very very carefully. I'd rather have a Kindle than a tablet because the back lighting on a tablet will cause eye fatigue.

What model do you have and what do you like most about it? What are the drawbacks?

Thanks!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

I guess the Kindle Fire is basically another tablet, so that is something to ignore. I have the old style E-Ink Kindle and I enjoy it a lot. It's very long on battery life if the Wifi is switched off.

As for your budget, you can browse for some cheap 99 cent books or even find old books for free. You can also download preview samples.

I would recommend stopping by a Staples that has them on display so you can check them out.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

Oh, I didn't know Staples had demos. Thank you!

jackieshmackie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2013, 2:28 pm

I have a kindle touch. It's not a backlit one, so the battery life is great. I have a repetitive motion injury in my wrist which makes it hard to hold books so I like reading with the kindle a lot. It's pretty light one handed, and way lighter than any tablet. Sometimes I just set it on a table or prop it up against something, but you can probably find a case that will stand it up. I've discovered the free books too and have been reading a lot of Thoreau for free (: My kindle was only around 100 bucks IIRC.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

Thanks for the info. :)

After doing some research, I really think the Paperwhite would be best for me. I have terrible eyesight, so the extra money might be worth it. I like how Kindle will display Korean and Japanese too, so I will not be limited to English books.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 3:17 pm

I'd also like to ask if the "special offers" are bothersome or if it's better to pay the extra money to get rid of them? I kind of hate advertising, but it's better to save money when possible.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

I have the amazon kindle keyboard, and I really like it. Reading from it is just like reading from a book! No back lighting at all

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

I have the most recent model of the Kindle Fire (HD), and I actually like it a lot. The battery life is pretty good and you can adjust the backlight settings to conserve the battery.

I do a lot of my mobile browsing on it, and it's a drawing pad as well as a personal library since I have a nice drawing app on it. The 7'' version is a little under $200 right now, and I can't remember how much the 8.5'' ones cost.

The only thing I don't like is that they throw an ad at you every time you try to unlock the screen. It's not bad enough to make me hate it, though.