Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 2:13 am

Anomiel wrote:
Well if it doesn't explain you now, then it doesn't. Obviously it once did, but I think you can be ok moving away from that now if it does not give you anything. Not that you need my ok, just saying :)
Maybe it's like with schizoids where the "social ineptness" comes from not caring for social games and also lack of training, and now you do care a little more and have had more chance of training? Also schizoids have "autistic thinking" whatever that means (they might be more right than they know) and just generally being mistaken for aspies. And why I mention schizoids is because I've seen StPD described as "schizoid core with quirky schizotypal branches".

I would be surprised if ASD would be all wrong, I see it more like McDD, something else wouldn't make too much sence too me when I look at my childhood, or StPD with autistic features (as child). The exact category doesn't matter that much. I belief between many "disorders" there is a spectrum. I just moved away from one in the direction to another. Maybe I'm totally wrong with that, but that's how it feels like to me. Especially when I consider the fact that there are some gentic connections. But possible that by a closer look you'll still find differences in my childhood to "normal ASD children" and that I was even at that time more "schizotype".
I also don't think I'm schizoid, eventhough schizotypal and schizoid are overlapping. Schizoids are more withdrawn. I've still my social sides and at least some friends and social interrests. So I don't think at all it applies. I might be that some experts explain SPD and StPD like this, but so far I know many with StPD want contact to other people, but are afraid of social contact, but SPD on the other hand don't want. But maybe this argumentation doesn't make a lot of sence either, because SPD propably gets removed in the next DSM-5.

Anomiel wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
You're so right in that the potential for misdiagnosis is high if they do not count in all variables. Sorry that happened to you, but glad that you understood that as not everyone that is in that situation are capable of doing that legwork themselves and it's just unfair all around, for both the psychiatrist and the patient.

Raziel wrote:
I saw my old psychiatrist today in the train who missdx me. She said "hello" and smiled. I was totally surprised, I couldn't say a word, then I went back to my seat and to get remined on that time so that I got even tears in my eyes. :cry:
:(

Oh. Wow :( That's got to have been hard. Maybe she doesn't understand she f**** up?

Well, I think somehow.
At this time I needed an expert opinion, because I'm transgender and wanted my name change. So I went to a professor who is specialized in it. She knew all about it and everthing seemed fine. Then the appointment right befor she told me I wouldn't come along with anybody and crap like this, just because between us it didn't worked out so well. So I went to the professor and he said I'm a clear cut case. I talked to him for two hours and he gave me his "okay". Then when I had the expert report I gave it to the secretary of my psychiatrist, so that my psychiatrist could read it until next time I see her. Then in the next appointment she told me, she'll never belief that and why I would have done this to her? And kicked me out. 8O
Well, there also happend other stuff, but this would go too far.
And now I see her and she seems to be all nice, I just don't get it. :?
Well, but luckily everthing turned out fine in the end and I found a new psychiatrist right away, this one I'm now and he is really nice. I'm there since half a year.

Anomiel wrote:
But I do think you could find out many things for sure when you do choose to talk about this to a psychiatrist (I think it's a great idea that you're planning that) - they can tell you what they think, and if they also agree that you're a mix (as many people are) or whatever then that is what you "are". There are very few "pure" individuals. I mean you mentioned yourself it's not as easy as taking a bloodsample and at some point it becomes semantics. And then focusing on what area/s you need help in.

The last time I talked with my psychiatrist about it, he told me that at the moment I've too many stressors to be 100% sure and I know at the moment I've a bipolar II suspicion from him, but as a official diagnosis still "recurrent depression", because it's not 100% clear at the moment. So I talked to him about that, but not that much, but I didn't talked to him about StPD and what he thinks about it. But I've safed my answers of the SPQ so I can bring them to him. When I get nervous I never know what to say, so I like to have something to give and so I've something to talk about.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:40 am

Anomiel wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
I scored quite low on STQ. I got 25. For some reason that makes me feel disappointed and sad. I thought I was over my "wanting a psychotic disorder" after my medication was increased but it turns out I'm just not as obsessed about it as I was before.

You can borrow my partners brother, who's schizophrenic and has ADHD among other things, for a week and I promise you will be completely cured of wanting that. We would have to sign some form of contract though because I don't want to be held accountable for how much he would wreck...

I'd probably have to 'borrow' his disorder (if that were even possible) to be cured of wanting it. I don't think watching someone suffering from it would be enough.

Sorry, that was one of those things that were funny if everyone knew exactly what I know.
In his case it's not just him that is suffering, he has driven almost his entire family to mental breakdowns.

I just don't know what you mean. Why, if you don't mind me asking? 8O

I'm not sure if I understand what you're asking. Are you asking me why not having a psychotic disorder makes me feel sad and disappointed?

glow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Personality Disorder Test Results

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||| 78% 50%
Schizoid |||||||||||||| 54% 40%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||| 54% 56%
Antisocial |||||||||||| 46% 46%
Borderline |||||||||||||||| 66% 45%
Histrionic |||||||||||||| 54% 35%
Narcissistic |||||||||| 34% 40%
Avoidant |||||||||||||||||| 74% 48%
Dependent |||||||||||| 50% 44%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||||||| 70% 45%

*scores in grey on the right are the average web score

Test Note: Read the descriptions below to avoid misinterpreting test results (for example, the Antisocial classification does not mean you are a loner, it means you tend to be insensitive towards others).

Disorder Info: borderline aspie, i guess.

Eccentric Personality Disorders: Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal

This seemed interesting albeit
if not a bit confusing! i think ive
opted for a more paranoid guess but at least it now rules out other possibilities, despite being
neurotic and far thus unsolved. a lack of fortunate guesses may have stemed the way forwards.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:18 am

glow wrote:
This seemed interesting albeit
if not a bit confusing! i think ive
opted for a more paranoid guess but at least it now rules out other possibilities, despite being
neurotic and far thus unsolved. a lack of fortunate guesses may have stemed the way forwards.

Despite the fact that this test in particular is not very reliable, are psychiatric tests always subjective. They don't tell you how you are, they just tell you how you see yourself. I'm reading a book about schizotypy at the moment claiming that the testing of "constricted affect" in the SPQ doesn't work right, because very often people see themself differently and also how the questions are presented in this specific category seems to have more to do with social shame and withdrawl than constricted affect itself.
I have to addmit that I'm not sure myself if I've not a bit constricted affect myself. This diagnostic criteria in particular seems to be more something that people notice from the outside and not a feeling or thinking pattern I can notice from the inside, because constricted affect is more something subcontious and not being able to controle it.

So this is also another dificulty in those tests. How it is mentioned earlier there might be different reasons to answer a question in a certain way. I also noticed this in the "Personality Disorder Test" you also made that many questions they ask regarding "Borderline" also apply for mood disorders. Not all though, but some of them. And with "Schizotypal" they mostly just ask questions about the own "eccentricity" and not many other. Those are reasons why I don't think that this short Personality Disorder Test is very reliable.

The more I think about schizotypy and autism, I belief having traits of both and not just an overlapp in one or the other direction and it's propably a matter of debate how to diagnose this best.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 5:32 am

yes, well i think, in the light of this test i tried, i believe it showed some promise in not trying to 'fix' but help to resolve some of the many impeding qsts on my mind, some if which have lain dormant for some years, and listening to some pre med- music can help soothe some of the many years of woe away,
before you begin. Of course only a small percentage can actually meet some of the pro- diagnostic criteria, but i mean it is worth checking out some worthwhile checks on yourself like i did anyway,just to be sure you're not missing anything 'special' or 'scientific'about yourself or your own mental needs.
plus, i find that maybe zoning out on yourself during the test may not be such a bad idea if you tend to veer towards a more visual and less spatial state of mind. Of course everyone is different.

asp123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2013, 1:00 pm

Does schizotypic-People have derealization, the feeling that if the world/or himself is not real?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

asp123 wrote:
Does schizotypic-People have derealization, the feeling that if the world/or himself is not real?

Actually you can get every symptom that you can also get with schizophrenia, just not that severe. So "yes".

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:21 pm

asp123 wrote:

Yes!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:21 am

bizboy1 wrote:
My former dick-ward psychologist thought I had schizotypal pd instead of Asperger's. He was so stupid. He only met one Aspergerian and he thought I couldn't have it because I talked more than him. I have no magical thinking whatsoever. I'm the opposite when it comes to magical thinking. I'm too rational to believe in BS.

I just wanted to mention that this is one cirteria out of 9, actually just a half criteria, because it is called: "odd beliefs or magical thinking". So besides the fact if this psychologist is right or not, your sentence doesn't make much sence either.

tasma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2013, 6:04 am

I think I've had mild schizophrenia or stpd for some time. I'm not sure because of the overlap that's been mentioned and other criteria I don't find to be defined satisfactorily. Thankfully this hasn't affected me too severely to where I would need to seek a diagnosis or be put on medication specifically for this. Maybe this post can make someone feel better about it. To be clear though I am not going to be writing much here about negative symptoms, the negative symptoms are the primary reason I think I may have it.

Could being schizotypal be a wonderful thing. Autism could have been wonderful too. I don't think I'm anything special because of it but there are a couple skills like paying attention to certain details that I was always better than 99% of people at. Unfortunately my communication and sensory problems are so maladapted to the world I have been sentenced to a 15 year exile from social belonging by the universe and will be up for probation in a few years.

It's hard to put a finger on what this all is. I know I've never had delusions or hallucinations. Around the age of late adolescence when the schizo- roots dig in is when I started noticing. Something snapped inside my head one day when I was 19 after being taunted by some children my self was disintegrating. I became more isolated than ever. Sometimes I would think things like "that one person is the key to my happiness"; maybe that was simply because of my immense natural barriers to communication. There were some very coincidental things going on before and after this, things too coincidental to have randomly happened. I made notes at the time they were happenings of interest.

Last year is when I was at rock bottom of the exile in a lot of ways. Less social belonging than ever before and it seemed nearly everything but a roof over my head was gone. It's when I finally realized the universe had been communicating things to me, that is what these coincidences were about. The universe may well not like it if I divulge details of what I am talking about so they must remain personal. I discovered that I had special powers of attraction, that a few certain people kept doing certain things based on the powers of my thought patterns. I had been looking for insight into clues on this for 2 years, only I must have been looking with the wrong mindset of spitefulness, not valuing interconnectedness.

I received the clear cut evidence gradually that there was a mission that I must undertake. It was likely not quite like anything any other person has ever done. It risked failure in more ways than one. A most vital step involved me asking a huge favor of a complete stranger which was far out of my comfort zone. Being a creature of lacksidasical self-care habits my preparation in advance was poor and sloppy. The execution went off with a bit of a hitch. It was over soon enough. It was time to play the waiting game. Such an agonizing rollercoaster of emotion was it. In the movie My Girl where Anna Chlumsky's character sings "Do Wa Diddy" off key when distressed - that's all tasma wanted to do for weeks with his fingers plugging his ears. A good sign followed by an ominous sign followed by another good sign passed.

To wrap it up the mission worked beyond all expectation. It was valiant, truly a special mission which brought multi-faceted joy to people's hearts. There were a few events in the news after this of rotten sadistic human behavior which were aligned in relative timing and distance of the mission to accentuate the contrast to those who knew of it. Another sign was I checked my horoscope (which I never do) on the twitter page of a person of interest from the date of undertaking the key step of the mission after the fact and it confirmed what people would think of my spirit, how intended this had to be.

After this happened I stuck my feelers out to various people in the outside world to get vibes, to see if my exile could now be over. I was not responded to. Once my special mission was over I intuitively knew there was no going back to that. That magic had happened, it could never be re-created, it only lives in memory. Any people involved in that could not be pressed to lend a helping hand. I began to make realize 15 is an important number, that this was a 15 year exile which would take me through 2015. I must undertake 2 more valiant special missions, one in 2013 and one in 2014 to have my best chance of not spending perhaps the rest of a miserable life in exile, and rather enjoy 15 years of social belonging thru 2030 where I am merely an odd quiet person who can function fine on a daily basis before I die.

So you see it is wonderful I discovered I have truly rare special powers; and I would be so much more lost if there were none of these special meanings, if to me life were a monotonous drag. I cannot make it sound like I am bragging about this. It may be almost impossible to find clues from the universe to help figure out what this year's and next year's mission will be and interpret them correctly AND successfully fulfill what is to be done. My best lead to go on is what I can find out about a blue collar alcoholic who is borderline obsessed with Hunter S Thompson...so yeah, this is NOT up my alley right now. There are tons of unknowns. I often do not like ambiguity! Still it is only natural not to dig too deep to see how far some of the coincidences may intertwine, if we knew everything it could drive us to madness.

I have too much self awareness that this magical thinking I've been writing about is probably more like wishful thinking, some sort of coping mechanism I invented. What does that matter though.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 6:17 am

tasma I didn't understand it all, but some people have just one psychotic episode and that's it. There is a term that's called Brief psychotic disorder maybe that fits?

I know my psychiatrist has a Bipolar II suspicioun about me and together with StPD I'll propably have schizoaffective or Bipolar II with StPD (traits) in addition to ASD triats. It propably just depends how someone makes a diagnosis, but I would feel confortable with Bipolar II and StPD as a lable instead of Schizoaffective.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

For starters,a brief psychotic disorder is basically a term used to describe manic depression, where you have one or more regular episodes of depression, verging on the edge of bipolar2.
In terms of 'magical thinking' that is only characterized by some more extreme methods of thinking, schizophrenia. i know because someone in my family has it.
You can talk more than once to someone and still be schizotypical if you suddenly appear quite anxious and well, odd beliefs are odd beliefs, caused by you or someone elses bilateral thought processes.
Also, you have to be on some serious meds in order to get sorted for the more serious illness, and you're pretty much on it for life. in order for it to not become too severe, some kind of cognital counselling or therapy can help but you don't catch this. its thought to be through some kind of genewave too, and only that person who experiences one or some more of the symptoms can make that breakthrough via the path of correct referal.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:27 am

glow wrote:
For starters,a brief psychotic disorder is basically a term used to describe manic depression, where you have one or more regular episodes of depression, verging on the edge of bipolar2.

quote from wikipedia:

"There are three forms of brief psychotic disorder: 1. Brief psychotic disorder with a stressor, such as a trauma or death in the family. 2. Brief psychotic disorder without a stressor, there is no obvious stressor. 3. Brief psychotic disorder with postpartum onset. Usually occurs about four weeks after giving birth."

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:39 am

Raziel wrote:
glow wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

quote from wikipedia:

"There are three forms of brief psychotic disorder: 1. Brief psychotic disorder with a stressor, such as a trauma or death in the family. 2. Brief psychotic disorder without a stressor, there is no obvious stressor. 3. Brief psychotic disorder with postpartum onset. Usually occurs about four weeks after giving birth."

this is what i meant, in terms of this particular disorder and you are trying to describe all the symptoms of depression which are both inaccurate and cost defective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophre ... f_spectrum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:39 am

Raziel wrote:
glow wrote:

quote from wikipedia:

That's the one I nearly had. It wasn't 24 hours or longer so it didn't qualify as brief psychotic disorder but for a few hours I thought the trees were talking to me. I was too scared to go near them so I had to be taken home. I think I blocked it out because I was surprised to hear that it happened to me. I returned to normal after a few hours so I never went to the hospital.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

glow wrote:
Raziel wrote:
glow wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder

quote from wikipedia:

this is what i meant, in terms of this particular disorder and you are trying to describe all the symptoms of depression which are both inaccurate and cost defective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophre ... f_spectrum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

I don't know at all what you mean and where did I say in this thread: "a depression is..."?
And furthermore I didn't put the wikipedia link in there. If you go back to what I originally wrote you wouldn't find it! 8O
So PLEASE qoute me at least accurate!