Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Beetzart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

I've never understood partying, or when people say 'we're gonna really party tonight!'. I just assume it means drinking alcohol in a dark room with loud noises. That's the literal sense but not the essence. That's what I don't get. When I was younger I sometimes went to nightclubs and would always end sitting in some corner alone, or trying to have an interesting conversation without luck due to the noise. I drank the alcohol and that made the situation bearable but beyond that. I can't see the point of drunken dancing, and never enjoyed my youth in that perspective because it seemed so empty. Oh well.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 2:48 pm

Sex.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 3:13 pm

- Improving/maintaining friendships
- Meeting new people
- Sex

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 3:17 pm

I don't like "partying" because I can't stand dancing. It makes me feel like a f***ing clown. I'm not criticizing anyone who does like dancing, I'm only describing the severity of my aversion to it. Getting drunk doesn't seem like my thing either, but I've never tried it. I would probably enjoy light drinking, but not to the point where I lose control over myself.

However, if you simply define partying as "having fun with a group of friends or acquaintances at a social gathering", then it sounds fun and enjoyable. Add dancing, interacting with too many strangers, or drinking, and it just sounds scary.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

Once in a while for a change of scenery it can be fun.

I used to bartend at bars/clubs. I almost never went to them outside of work. What I got out of them was money. And live entertainment - some good bar bands/djs. But mostly money.

Also wanted to note that if someone asks if you party, they may be asking if you do cocaine (primarily) or other party drugs, as that question can be posed that way. It depends on the context of the conversation and body language etc to know if this is what they're asking. But its good to be aware this can even be the case, just so someone who's naïve to this doesn't end up getting themselves into trouble. If you're not sure what they mean, ask instead of responding with a yes or no. Ie "Blow?" And see how they respond.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 8:41 pm

A very long time ago I didn't understand the appeal of "partying" either, and stayed in my room reading my encyclopedias. But then, I was determined to conquer my tendencies, so I ended up applying my Aspie abilities on "partying" itself.

I did my homework, and then ended up enjoying myself a lot at dance clubs over the years... DJ-ing, meeting producers, musicians, dancers, practicing my dance moves, and honestly having a wonderful time; being hypnotized by rhythms, and being mesmerized by the darkness and colorful lights. I was in a trance.. I worked on my dance skills, and thats the reason why I ended up loving the dance floor. I love dance!

I got better than the NTs who just go to the club to drink a lot, pick up girls, and become drunken as*holes.. They often try to dance while holding beer cups and picking up girls. They get drunk, disoriented, and spill their drinks on the dance floor, making a mess! Sometimes they would lose their balance and fall on me while I was dancing. I hate being rudely interrupted! I wanted to kill those drunken bastards. :evil:

I only had the 1-free drink I got with the entrance ticket, and then went to the nearby convenience store to buy water or juice.. I did not care about the alcohol that everyone was drinking, I did not care about the drugs they were taking. Music is my drug.. I ended up dancing well enough to attract the attention of sexy girls I never met before, who would come up to me an say I had cool moves and wanted to talk to me more! I guess they wanted me? :D ..But ironically, I was not interested, because I was not at the club for "That" :roll: LOL! I just wanted to be left alone, to be hypnotized by the music, and dance in my own private universe. I guess the Aspie side will always be there, even on the crowded dance floor. :lol:

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2013, 9:23 pm

For the most part, parties make me feel bored and uncomfortable. They're kind of interesting for the first fifteen minutes or so, but then they just drag on and on and on... ugh, the worst thing is being dragged there by someone who likes to arrive early and stay until the very end. :roll: :wall:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

Actual "parties" where there's a large group of people talking and loud music ect. are just sensory hell and a chance for me to look like an idiot in front of a huge group of people. On the other hand, going for dinner with my friend and her boyfriend or sharing a bottle of wine at her house and talking I enjoy.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm

As far as nightclubs go, I like the atmosphere, hate the people, hate going and being mixed in with god only knows what at any given time. I'd much rather be the owner of the club.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

I cant handle the night club enviroment for more than 5 seconds, i find it completly overwelming, i hate weddings for the same reason, unfortunatly the majority of people my age want to go to nightclubs.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

I used to like going to nighclubs when younger as I liked dancing. Drinking alcohol made it easier to relax.
I've not been to many parties and think these are far more based on how socially popular a person is. I wouldn't know where to start as regards what you're meant to talk about at parties - it's like some alien language to me. Party talk seems to be the opposite of informational; it's all about being cool, which I am not. Drug-taking, fighting and getting my credit card stolen and getting into bed with someone came into just two of the very few parties I ever went to so I think these just about sum up what parties have been about for me. I'd probably not be here to tell the tale if I'd gone to more!

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 11:30 am

And for nightclubs, i see lines and bouncers ready to not admit the likes of us from the outside. Of what i heard from what it is like inside, i just don't get the allure of them at all.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

ghoti wrote:
And for nightclubs, i see lines and bouncers ready to not admit the likes of us from the outside. Of what i heard from what it is like inside, i just don't get the allure of them at all.

I wouldn't want to go to a nightclub these days but when I was younger they were ok

Society wasn't as judgemental in those days though so everyone had a better time

There was far more freedom to be yourself

These days if you don't look like a WAG or someone off TOWIE you can forget it as far as acceptance goes

You couldn't pay me any amount of money to mix with this type of person

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

I am not really into parties as they do absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

The one thing I hate about night clubs is the smoking. I do not smoke. I have never smoked. Smoke stinks! I hate smoke! :evil:

I have only encountered one non-smoking night club in all my life. The air was clean and fresh. It was great. But it closed. :cry:

Jaden wrote:
As far as nightclubs go, I'd much rather be the owner of the club.

I have thought about this idea a few times before. If I ever have enough money to do it, I would.. And it would be 100% smoke-free :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
The one thing I hate about night clubs is the smoking. I do not smoke. I have never smoked. Smoke stinks! I hate smoke! :evil:

I have only encountered one non-smoking night club in all my life. The air was clean and fresh. It was great. But it closed. :cry:

Jaden wrote:
As far as nightclubs go, I'd much rather be the owner of the club.

I have thought about this idea a few times before. If I ever have enough money to do it, I would.. And it would be 100% smoke-free :)

They're all smoke free here, Province wide. Its illegal to smoke in any bar/restaurant/workplace or in parks/city property in Vancouver. Some still smoke outside, but at least abide by the rule of having to be away from doors/windows. There was a time when there were smoking sections, then smoking rooms with hvac, and now an all out ban. Govt medical insurance now covers meds to quit smoking, too, as smokers cost our healthcare system far more than the taxes they pay on cigarettes. We have the lowest cigarette smoking rates in the country and declining. 8)