Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

Oh yeah this brings back memories. I too remember being called "ret*d" or them saying my name and rhyming my name with some nonsense word, doing the "cooties" thing too, pulling my hair and kicking dirt at me.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 3:42 pm

I was lucky, nobody really bothered me, I was pretty much left alone. I was extremely naive and confused in elementary school, I had no idea how unpopular I was in spite of having zero friends. I picked up on the "cool" things the kids were doing about a month after they'd stopped being cool and latched onto them, for instance, when the ever-popular phrase "cool" meaning "constipated, overweight out of style loser" came about, I had no idea what it meant. One kid tried to use it on me once, but I thought it was a compliment, so it sort of backfired on him. When I found out what it meant, I perseverated on it and kept repeating it to myself over and over at recess. The closest I ever got to being bullied was in high school where this jerk started randomly making fun of me for no apparent reason, then laughing when I tried to verbally shoot him down. This only happened two or three times total, but ever since that first time, I was afraid of him and avoided him in the halls. Once as I was going down the stairs, I saw him coming up, and I balked. The kids behind me then proceeded to push me down the stairs, annoyed at me for having stopped.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Sniv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

Earliest form of bullying I can clearly remember is some urchin screaming in my ear from a an inch away, I think that was as far back as Infant School (first 2 years of schooling).

I never enjoyed school at all.

Once I got to secondary school (ages 11-16 ish), it really started to get out of hand. To the point a school wide notice was issued by the well meaning, but very naive teachers to warn people to stop. Naturally that made it WORSE.

I had people that I thought were friends do it, one caught me after school in an alley and bloodied my nose. Another threw stones at me knocking a lens out of my glasses (which was fortunate considering where it would have impacted if I didn't wear them).

Why I was bullied I know not. And why "friends" started on me, I'm not to sure either. Being I've only just begun to investigate the possibility I have something similar to an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, I'm looking for an answer to this little riddle:

Am I different because I was bullied at school,
or
was I bullied at school because I am different?

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

A little bit of both.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 9:48 pm

Sniv wrote:
Once I got to secondary school (ages 11-16 ish), it really started to get out of hand. To the point a school wide notice was issued by the well meaning, but very naive teachers to warn people to stop. Naturally that made it WORSE.

The same thing happened to me in that they had a class meeting and I was out of the room for exactly the 5 minutes they talked. Everyone knew it was me and while they 'apologized' it only got much worse after that. That's why I preach to ignore 'experts' because they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Quote:
I had people that I thought were friends do it, one caught me after school in an alley and bloodied my nose. Another threw stones at me knocking a lens out of my glasses (which was fortunate considering where it would have impacted if I didn't wear them).

Yep same here. I later found out they feared being bullied themselves so they 'took sides' and if that meant pushing me down the stairs, they were able and willing to do it. I still do this day can't perceive that: the Nuremburg defense always seemed like BS to me.

Quote:
Am I different because I was bullied at school,
or
was I bullied at school because I am different?

I struggled with something similar and my answer to myself is 'both'. I was bullied because I was different but being lightly bullied made me more different and the vicious cycle was created.

Sniv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2013, 3:26 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I later found out they feared being bullied themselves so they 'took sides' and if that meant pushing me down the stairs, they were able and willing to do it. I still do this day can't perceive that: the Nuremburg defense always seemed like BS to me.

Most likely you are correct. The one throwing stones was in a peer group at the time. I felt bad for him as back then Corporal Punishment was still practised in the UK, and he got a slap of the cane across his palms for his participation. The guy in the alley, that may have been due to a "meltdown" like argument, over a high score in a video game, that ended in a broken window :D. But it was so long ago and I buried the memories for so long, I can only guess :D

Quote:
I struggled with something similar and my answer to myself is 'both'. I was bullied because I was different but being lightly bullied made me more different and the vicious cycle was created.

You may be right. Even though I know it will be tough, looking forward to starting a diagnosing process to see what I am, and if I can or can not come to the same conclusion!

Thanks for the insight :)

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 6:05 am

neuroshits wrote:
and out of curiosity if you were bullied, picked on or teased what methods did fellow students use to irritate you?

I was never picked on for being autistic in school, thank goodness, because I was always in private schools for kids with problems like mine. Except... for the one time they mainstreamed me, for whatever reason, the first semester of the 5th grade when I was 11.

Here's some of the stuff I remember some of the kids saying:

"You never talk, and when you do, you say the wrong things".
"You're always wear your jacket on hot sweaty days".
(While playing dodge-ball) "you just stand there like a bent nail".
"You always sit off somewhere by yourself" (at recess).
"You just start wandering away when someone is in the middle of talking to you".
And they made derogatory remarks about the way I dressed.

Stuff like that. To tell the truth, it seems like they were more exasperated than cruel. I could easily fly into a complete wingding of raw madman fury, so I think they were all afraid to push my buttons too much. I guess I was too psycho to get teased much :D