Any Bhaldur's Gate Players? Or Dungeons and Dragons Players?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I loved giving Lilarcor to Minsc.

I never did that! I have heard from another friend that they argue, but I think I am going to have to play again just to experience that.

I honestly don't remember now. I seem to remember that Lilarcor continued to speak in Minsc's hands, but I wouldn't swear to it.

algegon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2013, 8:23 pm

I love the Baldur's gate series. As a stress relief, I have been playing around with the games code. Tweaking things here and there. I may even give modding a shot. The game has even got me interested in programming. I discovered the series late in life, perhaps if I had played it earlier I would have gone into computer science instead of law.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

Because of this thread, I have started a new game on Baulder's Gate last night. The first time I ever played through, I did so with a paladin. The second time with a fighter/cleric. This time I am going with a Bard.

I may start a seperate thread and keep a diary/log of how my game goes if anyone would like to read.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
Because of this thread, I have started a new game on Baulder's Gate last night. The first time I ever played through, I did so with a paladin. The second time with a fighter/cleric. This time I am going with a Bard.

I'd recommend a multi-class fighter/mage instead. More powerful later in the game...

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

GGPViper wrote:
[I'd recommend a multi-class fighter/mage instead. More powerful later in the game...

Yes, you are right. However, I decided on the bard for more of a challenge. The next time I go through, I'll try a ftr/m.

Have you played through the game many times? What other class/combos have you done?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 6:24 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
[I'd recommend a multi-class fighter/mage instead. More powerful later in the game...

Yes, you are right. However, I decided on the bard for more of a challenge. The next time I go through, I'll try a ftr/m.

Have you played through the game many times? What other class/combos have you done?

Oh, dear... I lost count of how many times I've completed the game.

"Tough" classes are:

Cleric (annihilates undead with a blink of an eye (this actually becomes boring in ToB), but is weak against just about everything else)
Druid (Almost useless in hand-to-hand combat, very slow advancement from 13th to 15th level, but fire elementals are extremely powerful)
Thief (until you get high-level abilities, and unless you choose swashbuckler)
Bard (strong spell-casting skills early-to-mid game due to fast level advancement, but lacks both magical fire power and martial skill late-game, even as a Blade)
Non-Archer Ranger (Because of slow level progression)
Fighter - Kensai Kit: (Deals more damage than any other melee class, but frustrating as hell due to low AC. Ready the quickload button when fighting mind flayers.)

"Easy" classes are:

Fighter - Berserker Kit: Simple to play - Lots of strengths, no real weaknesses.
Fighter/Thief - Much better than a pure thief, even a swashbuckler. This combo also gives you a free party slot, as pure thieves are only marginally better at thieving skills.
Fighter/Cleric - Since clerics reach max level spells quickly, this combo has very few drawbacks. And Crom Fayr is an obvious weapon of choice.
Ranger - Archer Kit: Eventually loses power relative to melee fighters late-game (ToB), but is probably the easiest class of all to play.
Sorcerer... If you really, *really* want to win every single time. This class is basically broken...
Nuff said...

"Fun" classes are:

Monk - Almost broken, but fun. He/she starts out weak, becomes strong, and ends up being pretty much invulnerable.
Fighter/Mage - Requires micro-management, but can buff him/herself to become a freight train.
Thief - Swashbuckler Kit: Don't like getting hit? Then don't...

A special case is the paladin. I am currently playing as an undead hunter imported from BG1 (using BGTutu). I generally consider paladins underpowered due to their slow level progression. However, they get Carsomyr, one of the most powerful weapons in the game, which can be acquired as early as chapter 2 in BG2. And the game-breaking dispel ability of inquisitors makes battles against mages very trivial. If you are looking for a challenge, don't roll an inquisitor or bring along Keldorn.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:29 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Oh, dear... I lost count of how many times I've completed the game.

"Tough" classes are:

Cleric (annihilates undead with a blink of an eye (this actually becomes boring in ToB), but is weak against just about everything else)
Druid (Almost useless in hand-to-hand combat, very slow advancement from 13th to 15th level, but fire elementals are extremely powerful)
Thief (until you get high-level abilities, and unless you choose swashbuckler)
Bard (strong spell-casting skills early-to-mid game due to fast level advancement, but lacks both magical fire power and martial skill late-game, even as a Blade)
Non-Archer Ranger (Because of slow level progression)
Fighter - Kensai Kit: (Deals more damage than any other melee class, but frustrating as hell due to low AC. Ready the quickload button when fighting mind flayers.)

"Easy" classes are:

Fighter - Berserker Kit: Simple to play - Lots of strengths, no real weaknesses.
Fighter/Thief - Much better than a pure thief, even a swashbuckler. This combo also gives you a free party slot, as pure thieves are only marginally better at thieving skills.
Fighter/Cleric - Since clerics reach max level spells quickly, this combo has very few drawbacks. And Crom Fayr is an obvious weapon of choice.
Ranger - Archer Kit: Eventually loses power relative to melee fighters late-game (ToB), but is probably the easiest class of all to play.
Sorcerer... If you really, *really* want to win every single time. This class is basically broken...
Nuff said...

"Fun" classes are:

Monk - Almost broken, but fun. He/she starts out weak, becomes strong, and ends up being pretty much invulnerable.
Fighter/Mage - Requires micro-management, but can buff him/herself to become a freight train.
Thief - Swashbuckler Kit: Don't like getting hit? Then don't...

A special case is the paladin. I am currently playing as an undead hunter imported from BG1 (using BGTutu). I generally consider paladins underpowered due to their slow level progression. However, they get Carsomyr, one of the most powerful weapons in the game, which can be acquired as early as chapter 2 in BG2. And the game-breaking dispel ability of inquisitors makes battles against mages very trivial. If you are looking for a challenge, don't roll an inquisitor or bring along Keldorn.

Awesome feedback there!

I am still going to go through with a bard just for the challenge. Plus I won't need to memorize the identify spell anymore. lol

So, I have to ask you, what NPC's in BG1 and/or BG2 do you like to have in your party?

And...

What were some of your favorite side quests in the game?

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

GGPViper wrote:

When I played through with the Pally, I also got the Holy Avenger and I know exactly what you are saying above. Spell casters were toast. Not a problem.

Then I did the quest to fight the Lich for the Ring of Gaxx....

I put that on my pally and with the Holy Avenger, the game became so unbalanced, that I could just send in the pally alone and clear a map area usually. Talk about crazy!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:38 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
I am still going to go through with a bard just for the challenge. Plus I won't need to memorize the identify spell anymore. lol

You wouldn't have to either if you play as a sorcerer or buy/steal the glasses of identification... 8)

Tohlagos wrote:
So, I have to ask you, what NPC's in BG1 and/or BG2 do you like to have in your party?

BG1 - Khalid/Jaheira/Kivan/Imoen/Dynaheir

Having *two* archers (Kivan and Imoen) makes a lot of difference, as there are so many ranged attackers in BG1.

Minsc's stats are horrible in BG1, btw, so I tend to avoid him.

BG2 - Anomen, Jaheira, Viconia (although her turn undead is unimpressive due to evil alignment), Keldorn, Edwin (the most powerful mage in the game - unless you roll a sorcerer)

Minsc's stats are better in BG2, but they still suck (since you can easily get strength enhancing gear). So I still don't bring him along very often.

I admit that I use mods to prevent Viconia and Edwin from leaving, though... I'm just too much of a goody-two shoes.

Tohlagos wrote:
What were some of your favorite side quests in the game?

BG1 - Durlag's Tower - Very well done...

... But Aec'Letec is *hands down* the most frustrating boss in the entire BG franchise...

BG2 - Watcher's Keep, of course! Especially the last battle before opening the prison. That will test your skill regardless of party composition...

Other than that:

- Firkraag
- The Twisted Rune (very short, but challenging... Lich + Beholder + Vampire + Anonymous mage that kills your party because you think that only the Lich can cast Time Stop)
- Trademeet and the duel with Faldorn

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Anyone that hasn't played any of these or needs to rebuy these, GoG has all their D&D titles on sale this weekend. The more you buy the higher percentage off you get. Everyone should at a minimum grab Baldurs Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Planescape: Torment. I'd say Neverwinter Nights 2 as well if you have a decent computer. Most computers these days should run it fine but it was pretty bad on modern hardware when it came out.

You can safely skip Demonstone and Dragonshard though.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Making progress through my BG1 game. Made lvl 5 with my bard. Got Minsc to lvl 4. Finished the Nashkel mines and the Gnoll fort. Working on the wilderness areas that I can handle. Doing side quests where I can. Still have a few I want to do before I hed north to deal with the second mine and the bandit camp.

I'll post a more detailed list of infomation when I get a chance to write down some notes (not at home right now).

Having FUN!! ! :D

Austine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

I have always had a love of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. I also like Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights but Baldur's Gate outclasses them all. I can't really describe it but it is a good game with an excellent story. Is it me or does it seem that 2nd dimensional games (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, the first two Fallouts, etc) have a better story then most games out nowadays?