How do you go about finding a job?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 8:41 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
Go to a career fair!! ! Do NOT apply to jobs online!! !

I applied to over 750 jobs online without getting so much as a single response. I went to one career fair and instantly got 10 interviews and 1 full-time job doing what I've always wanted to do. I think that those numbers speak for themselves lol. When you apply online you never know if anyone is even going to see your application or resume, whereas at a career fair they will read it in front of you, and allow you to explain everything that you have to offer.

Sounds good in theory but when I went to a massive career fair, the crowds were out of this world big (so no time to quietly sit down and talk with someone), most companies sent the person who did NOT want to go and a good chunk of the jobs were either crappy call centre ones (that anyone can get) or you wonder why they would bother setting up a booth (one required a very specific Master's Degree and was based on the other side of the country).

I had my best luck searching out tiny industrial businesses using online ads as they were usually more personable and you could actually walk in and talk with the owner and manager without getting the usual 'we only take resumes online' crap you get from most employers. Unfortunately, usually jobs advertised are a last resort and are usually flooded with obvious unqualified applicants. The old cliche is true: it's all in who you know. I would probably still be looking for work if not for the large number of people I met playing hockey. In the dressing room you got to see everyone's true colors and people quickly realized I was a genuine person who wasn't putting on a 'nice' act.

I do think it's kinda silly how almost every company chases after those already employed while those not lucky enough to have a job at the moment are always ignored. Why did job searching remind me of dating?

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm

beer1982 wrote:
Find something that interest you, find an education within that field and then start looking for job.
For example I have always be interested in computers so I went to the universcity to study software engeenering. Even before I was finished I did have 2-3 job offer

The success of this really depends on whether you get your region's top school. If you're accepted only at the "flagship" school of your state, and your state is adjacent to one with far better universities (mediocre UofWI vs. UofChicago), then trade school is a better route.