Any followers of Paradox Development Studios?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

I was wondering if there were any followers of the Paradox Development Studios (PDS) line of games, Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 3, Victoria 2, and Hearts of Iron (3?).

EU4 is supposed to have a functional multi-player, but I have to admit I've never played a RTS multi-player.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

I recently just started playing Crusader Kings 2, and despite not knowing what I am doing yet its addicting and entertaining.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

I've been a fan since EUIII. I've got EUIII, with all expansions, and it's by far my favorite, but I laso have Vicky, Vicky II (With all DLC), CK, CKII. Also been a fan of Mount & Blade since it was in development, way before Paradox picked them up. I think I've got a few more of their IPs, but I can't think of what they are... oh, War of the Roses is one.

I love Paradox and everything they do. They seem to genuinely care about historical accuracy. Although it was fun to build the worldwide empire of Brabant.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm

eelektrik wrote:
I recently just started playing Crusader Kings 2, and despite not knowing what I am doing yet its addicting and entertaining.

According to my computer, I have 198 hours logged into CK2.

Quote:
I've been a fan since EUIII. I've got EUIII, with all expansions, and it's by far my favorite, but I laso have Vicky, Vicky II (With all DLC), CK, CKII. Also been a fan of Mount & Blade since it was in development, way before Paradox picked them up. I think I've got a few more of their IPs, but I can't think of what they are... oh, War of the Roses is one.

I love Paradox and everything they do. They seem to genuinely care about historical accuracy. Although it was fun to build the worldwide empire of Brabant.

As far as EU3 goes....not much to do after Denmark's eaten up half of what is now germany, and stretches from Brittany to Lubeck, and from Skane to Venice (yes, Venice). The vikings struck back :king:

Now, does anyone else think that VicII's economy model might actually be TOO detailed? I'm not sure computers are keeping up with Johan there.....

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 5:54 am

Quote:
As far as EU3 goes....not much to do after Denmark's eaten up half of what is now germany, and stretches from Brittany to Lubeck, and from Skane to Venice (yes, Venice). The vikings struck back :king:

When in doubt, Colonize! Or jump over to the Ming or Japan and build an equivalent empire and have a world war.

I wonder if I still have that save...

Quote:
Now, does anyone else think that VicII's economy model might actually be TOO detailed? I'm not sure computers are keeping up with Johan there.....

Absolutely not. It's intimidating, and I'll admit that it's largely kept me from getting as into VickyII as I'd like, but when everyone else is dumbing down, the Vicky development team doubles down. I respect that.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

Been into their games since Hearts of Iron and EU 2 came out many moons ago.

CK2 has been probably one of the most decent games they have done in awhile that didn't take a couple of patches and expansions to fix.

They also have some good developers under their belt now. Quite a lot to look forward too in the not too distant future. Cities in motion 2 and Mount and Blade 2 in particular for me.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Quote:

When in doubt, Colonize! Or jump over to the Ming or Japan and build an equivalent empire and have a world war.

I wonder if I still have that save...

Quote:

Absolutely not. It's intimidating, and I'll admit that it's largely kept me from getting as into VickyII as I'd like, but when everyone else is dumbing down, the Vicky development team doubles down. I respect that.

I was running Denmark....I had just finished dismantling the English Navy, removing the last power in the world that could interfere with my fleet. With France broken into it's duchies, the English Navy gone, Castille split from Spain, the Austrians split in two, the Ottaman's reduced to a rump Antollian state.....

Well, I figured world conquest was pretty well done.

I'm looking forward to EU4...the trade and economics look amazing.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

Was your Badboy accrual broken? I'm shocked that you could manage that. Usually when I play a strong conquest game I can only go so far before taking a century or two off to let Badboy decrease. And don't write off Asia. The Ming, if properly managed will tear you apart, and the Mongol nations are no slouch.

I like to go for nonconquest approaches. Trade dominance in the early game, pushing for Quest for the New World and British unification. Take the Azores and I've blocked Spain and Portugal from expanding West for a little while, and NA is fair game from there. Meanwhile, land some troops in Gibraltar, and work my way down the African coast, going to colonial war with Spain, and essentially dominate the trade routes to India, East Asia, and the Americas. Minimum badboy, maximum money, great set up for a VickyII map.

Wait... EUIV? That comes out, I'm off work for two weeks. I wonder how much they learned from Magna Mundi.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:41 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Was your Badboy accrual broken? I'm shocked that you could manage that. Usually when I play a strong conquest game I can only go so far before taking a century or two off to let Badboy decrease. And don't write off Asia. The Ming, if properly managed will tear you apart, and the Mongol nations are no slouch.

I like to go for nonconquest approaches. Trade dominance in the early game, pushing for Quest for the New World and British unification. Take the Azores and I've blocked Spain and Portugal from expanding West for a little while, and NA is fair game from there. Meanwhile, land some troops in Gibraltar, and work my way down the African coast, going to colonial war with Spain, and essentially dominate the trade routes to India, East Asia, and the Americas. Minimum badboy, maximum money, great set up for a VickyII map.

Wait... EUIV? That comes out, I'm off work for two weeks. I wonder how much they learned from Magna Mundi.

They won't admit to it, but I suspect they learned quite a bit from MM.

No, my badboy was'nt broken, I was just pushing it to to the limit, and over it at times. I was spending more time breaking apart and ransacking any alliances that opposed me. I left the poorer German states intact so I could beat them up for prestige gains when they decided to join an alliance against me.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

I still remember back when I was walking in the store and say Hearts of Iron for sail. I readi t over and bought it immediately. No regrets.

I still play Hearts of Iron II with some of the expansions. Modding that game is fun as well.

I have HoI3, but my current computer won't run it and so I wait till I can get a new one. Ido that with games, I buy them so I have a physical copy of them in case I can't play them immediately, but have them to try in a year or so. I am way behind (keep replaying a number of other games, so I now have a backlog!)

Love, love, LOVE EU3! I have up to the third expansion I think, but my next game buy is all of them. My current game is as England and I am slowly colonizing North America. After a few wars in Europe that cost me troops, money, and time for no gain, I left the mainland alone and set my sights for overseas. I am still learning the in and outs of the game, but I am having fun!

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 6:14 am

Tohlagos wrote:
Love, love, LOVE EU3! I have up to the third expansion I think, but my next game buy is all of them. My current game is as England and I am slowly colonizing North America. After a few wars in Europe that cost me troops, money, and time for no gain, I left the mainland alone and set my sights for overseas. I am still learning the in and outs of the game, but I am having fun!

Rule Britannia! One country I play on a consistent basis. Yeah, you learn very quickly to leave the mainland be, aside from going for trade monopolies. In fact, my absolute favorite opener, before you even unpause the game the first time, is to sell my mainland provinces. Calais goes to France, Burgundy gets Lavourd or whatever is the southernmost, and Aragon gets Gascogne. I give them away if I have to. It removes Casus Belli, ethnic rebellion, and, since countries like being connected to their provinces, generally causes all kinds of havoc between those three "nations", if you can call them that. Bloody frogs.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 7:23 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
Rule Britannia! One country I play on a consistent basis. Yeah, you learn very quickly to leave the mainland be, aside from going for trade monopolies. In fact, my absolute favorite opener, before you even unpause the game the first time, is to sell my mainland provinces. Calais goes to France, Burgundy gets Lavourd or whatever is the southernmost, and Aragon gets Gascogne. I give them away if I have to. It removes Casus Belli, ethnic rebellion, and, since countries like being connected to their provinces, generally causes all kinds of havoc between those three "nations", if you can call them that. Bloody frogs.

Don't you take a prestige hit every month for having cores on foreign owned provences?

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 7:34 pm

They aren't cores in 1399, I'm pretty sure, but even if they are, I'll gladly take the hit in exchange for not getting wrapped up in a continental war in the early phase of the game. If I go to war with France, it'll be over Scotland, but I can't shield my nation from a French Alliance and be using my Navy to carry guys down to Gascogne. I have been known to keep Calais, as a beachhead if necessary, but there's the fact that if France is busy with Burgundy, they're not likely to risk it to help Scotland.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

I haven't played any of the other games from Paradox (though I plan to), but since being introduced to HOI2 by a school friend I'm a diehard.

In particular I like Arsenal of Democracy (for its supply system) and Darkest Hour (for its decisions; and is currently what I play primarily).

I've also got the March of the Eagles demo, but I haven't played it extensively, as my laptop is presently undergoing repair.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:23 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:

I had read the Wiki on EU3 and what they offer as strategies for various countries. They had mentioned what you aid about selling off those provences. However, I understand what you are saying with selling provences to force those countries to "leap frog" over the other. I like your idea. Thanks!

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm

drh1138 wrote:
I haven't played any of the other games from Paradox (though I plan to), but since being introduced to HOI2 by a school friend I'm a diehard.

In particular I like Arsenal of Democracy (for its supply system) and Darkest Hour (for its decisions; and is currently what I play primarily).

I've also got the March of the Eagles demo, but I haven't played it extensively, as my laptop is presently undergoing repair.

Awesome! I have read about those mods/upgrades for the game and they sound like a lot of fun. I did look into getting them myself, but if I remember right, they were only available for download only. I prefer having a hard copy of something that I buy that I can hold in my hands. I'm old school, but that is me :)

So I play with the last patch I have and the old CORE mod for the game. It is ok, but I can clearly see problems/limitations with techs, forces, industry, etc. I have added a few mods to this myself to give more realism regarding natual disasters, but I hope when I have the time I want to add more. I have been doing a lot of reading on economics and industry for various countries during that time.

Some things in the game I can understand they did for play balance. However, I disagree with the methods they used. I'm a big fan of realism and giving players choices, so when I do these mod upgrades/changes/additions, I hope that I make something that I feel is more in tune with certain aspects of history.

I hope you are enjoying the game! Fun game!