what is the first FPS you have ever played?

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

the first First-Person Shooter game that i have ever played is the grand daddy Wolfenstein 3D

i remember playing it in 1993 or 1994 the version had all 6 episode's on CD and i remember getting far on 3 episode but i failed and i keep for getting to save lol

so what is yours?

{note any game with FPS in them do count i.e. fallout 3}

Last edited by AspergerGamer64 on 25 Mar 2013, 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 10:29 am

Wolfenstein 3D, Snes. Although, you might consider Ultima, given the first personness of the dungeons and the fact that ifyou were using something other than the bow (hence shooter) you were an idiot.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 11:57 am

I think it was the Catacomb 3D series which was kinda a pre-cursor to Wolfenstien 3D

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

It used the same engine as Wolfenstein 3D, but this was the first one I played over at a friend's house. At the time my Mom wouldn't let me play games with blood, my Uncle even made me a copy of Doom when it came out and my Mom wouldn't let me install it.

Images stolen from Wikipedia.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

Probably the SNES version of Wolf 3D.

Though technically, Star Raiders for the Atari 2600 was a first-person shooter...

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

Doom, that game used to scare the pants off of me! I also played rise of the triad, that game was really weird.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 6:44 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Doom, that game used to scare the pants off of me! I also played rise of the triad, that game was really weird.

Wolf 3D for me too. I remember I think the original levels weren't that bad but then there was an expansion or something and it was pretty hard. I thought that game scared the pants off me until I played Doom. Man the darkened rooms and the monster cries when they spotted you really could scare everyone half to death.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 7:20 pm

Probably Doom.

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

Actually played? Half Life. But poked at with a tilted head and quite confused? Wolfenstein.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 3:09 am

I can't remember what order I played them in, but I did play both Wolfenstien3D and Catacomb. I also played Doom and various knock offs, but to my mind the genre really came into it's own around the Goldeneye/Unreal 1 era, with the advent of gameplay beyond "kill everyone and take the keys".

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

Yeah, Wolf 3D was my first, too. I liked Rise of the Triad, too, but it was a bit weird - too complicated and not as satisfying, somehow, but still fun once in a while. When I first saw Doom I didn't like it - too dark, too hard to see anything, but it eventually became my clear favourite. I even recorded demos for Doom Honorific Titles and some Doom competitions.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

FMX wrote:
Yeah, Wolf 3D was my first, too. I liked Rise of the Triad, too, but it was a bit weird - too complicated and not as satisfying, somehow, but still fun once in a while. When I first saw Doom I didn't like it - too dark, too hard to see anything, but it eventually became my clear favourite. I even recorded demos for Doom Honorific Titles and some Doom competitions.

Honestly Doom when I first had a chance to play multi-player was when I really got into these games. Single player was fine but multi-player brought just a whole new dimension of fun. Unfortunately back then the only practical way to play was on a LAN, so the computer club on campus once or twice a semester would organize something where everyone brought in (hauled) their PC (no laptops back then), and someone would go to the computer store, buy a 10-pack of LAN cards (since no one owned their own), and then return them at the end of the day.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

I'm going to be the odd one out here. I wasn't even playing first person shooters before the gamecube came out. My first console was the N64 and 95% of the games I played were rated E.

Then I got a gamecube when it came out and I played medal of honor: frontlines. That was the first fps game I played.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

You owned an N64 and did not own Goldeneye and/or Perfect Dark? Really?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

I guess mine was Wolfenstein 3D. I guess it was surprisingly installed on the PC and I was somehow able to play the game without getting in trouble when I was young kid.

Though in saying that I have a little trouble knowing for sure t was first I know that I played a Duke Nukem 3D game on PC also.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm

the first one I ever owned would have been Space Hulk on the Sega Saturn. It was a fantastic mix of action and strategy. Sort of like an early Brothers in arms.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEK8EFiJdUk[/youtube]

My deviant art profile