Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
After all, I'm glad that I live in a country that does not decide does I allowed to drink my beer :D

The only thing I envy is that Americans have the right to bear arms written into your constitution.

I had thinking about starting hunting, but getting in poland weapons permit, even hunting is very time consuming and expensive, and I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I do not know whether i got a firearms license at all.

Go to Czech Republic, easy for gun ownership there.

And our RKBA is kind of a joke nowadays. I think the plan after the recent shootings is to have a European style licensing system for USA. Also, there's a bunch of random little complex laws for firearms ownership here basically made to benefit the gun industry (like 922r.) Also, different states have different gun laws. Some states have basically European gun laws (Illinois, Mass.) and some states have almost none (Vermont, Alaska, Montana) and when there's none, there's still federal ones you gotta follow. Like most states for pistol carry (and quite a few for ownership) require permits with interviews from the police and classes taken. You can be denied sometimes based upon your neighbors being like "Yeah that guy is weird." Rifle ownership besides the states with Euro style gun laws usually doesn't require that.

Also, now with the scare over harsher gun laws, our department of Homeland Security bought like 1.3 billion rounds of hollowpoint .223 in case of insurrection, and it's choking ammo prices coupled with the general hysteria over a possible gun ban causing people to stock up on ammo. Ammo has like tripled or more in price for some calibers, same with guns. Like a semi-auto AK74 clone now costs $2000 when a year ago it cost $500. Canada is actually cheaper for guns and ammo than USA now, hilariously.

I'm thinking of moving to Poland, seems nice there. You can get a nice house for like 20k, or an apartment for like $200 a month. And your women are nice looking. I'm at a point in my life I don't care a whole lot about gun ownership.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

Does anyone actually think setting the drinking age to 21 will achieve anything? I know that most of my peers started drinking before they were 18 (and those that didn't, such as myself, generally haven't started drinking very much yet), and not just in the legal settings. Mostly they asked their parents or siblings to buy alcohol for them, and then went to unsupervised house parties. Certainly I can't imagine college students in America give two hoots about not being able to drink legally.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

I think they should do away with the drinking age entirely. It's not like a 10-year-old kid is going to be harmed just from drinking a beer. And once alchohol becomes a legal drink for kids, I doubt as many teens are going to want to binge drink, because alchohol won't be anything special to them anymore. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Besides, the drinking age is mainly there because of drunk driving incidents. But doesn't it seem counter-intuitive that we let irresponsible 16-year-olds drive deadly missiles with the capability to take lives, yet we don't allow 20-year-olds to have a simple alchoholic drink? Why not reverse the ages? Okay, I know it would be impractical to raise the driving age to 21, but it does make more sense that way...

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2013, 2:35 am

Drinking age - I drink, I feel much older in the morning :wink:

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 5:06 am

UnLoser wrote:
I think they should do away with the drinking age entirely. It's not like a 10-year-old kid is going to be harmed just from drinking a beer. And once alcohol becomes a legal drink for kids, I doubt as many teens are going to want to binge drink, because alcohol won't be anything special to them anymore. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Besides, the drinking age is mainly there because of drunk driving incidents. But doesn't it seem counter-intuitive that we let irresponsible 16-year-olds drive deadly missiles with the capability to take lives, yet we don't allow 20-year-olds to have a simple alcoholic drink? Why not reverse the ages? Okay, I know it would be impractical to raise the driving age to 21, but it does make more sense that way...

Dont know, when thinking of 12-15 year old drinking kids, I get nightmares. So in my country you are allowed to drink beer and whine with the age of 16. Inofficial part of that is that the older ones having party try to care a little bit about the younger ones. (So someone is always someone youngers sister or brother. So the older gets told by the parents to look for the younger one, when they both are having party ...)

Its horrible enough being forced as 21-year old to nanny your 16-year old drunken sister. But hell no, I dont want 13 years old to be around. Its like thinking of a drunken kindergarten. ^^

At music-festivals, its hard enough to prevent the teens from slicing themself with food cans, they blow up over a camping stoves, without fixing the top of the can (So you have to tape the top of the can with power tape, so it cant fly away and hurt someone, when the closed tin blows up.), supporting them with condoms they seem not to be able to afford them (needed all the money for the alcohol -.-), show them the propper use of dry ice or dry ice bombs or confiscating these horrible horns, they use to cheer their team in sport events, at 05:00 in the morning, simply by physical advantage and threating them with violence. Or teaching them not to use the camping place as a toilette, because they cant go that far anymore, and instead simply to use bottles they can empty the next day. Or to bring their unconscious friend, that doesnt react anymore to poking, to the paramedics tent, anyway if the medics will call the parents, because if they dont, then you will call their parents. ^^ Or to tell them, that they should not let their still reacting drunken friends sleep for hours in the direct sun. Or that beer resources are less important than burning tents. My all time favorite was the guy from the neighbor village, always running around naked, that stepped into a bottle at the second day and cut his foot deeply, but refused to go to the medic tent because he was afraid, they could bring him into hospital, because his wound was that deep and needed to be sewed, and then he would miss the concert of his band. O_o So he was bleeding around the whole tent place, and after ten minutes the surrounding people gave up talking to him, and wanted to force him to go to the medics. So he ran away limping around the camping place, still completely naked, while others of us chased him, and tried to catch him and carried him finally naked by force to the medic tent. Not to mention all these teenager heartaches about "The love of his/her life, that was meant to be forever...." ending after 4 weeks... XD

Music festivals you could compare with your spring breaks, so there are around 300.000 people on the camping places and as long as there is no emergency (like burning tents), there is no security, and it works because everyone cares a bit for the others. (And because the older ones, that have a bit more experience on drinking and dangers, are normally in physical advantage at this age.) There is also the custom to gather yourself in groups according to the area you come from, so normally you have at least some minor connections, so some know themselfs from schools, others are friends or cousins, others know themselfs from sport clubs and so on. The thing is, that you are from the same area, so if one of the teens hurts himself and you are 20+ you can be sure, that back home everyone arounds knows it, and you get the blame because "as an older and more experienced one" you were expected to prevent the younger ones from hurting themselfs somehow. -.-

With 16 year old kids its horrible enough. So you sit around peacefully with your friends, drinking beer, want to listen to the music, and around you it seems as if chaos would rule. So you know, that they dont mean it in a bad way, so you yourself know your limits already, because of experiencing them as teenager and others looked for you, and so are they now. But by thinking of additional 12-15 year olds... Not without a law that forces the parents to look after their kids, while they are drunk. ^^ Keeping the older teens safe, while having some fun, is already enough work, and keeps you occupied enough. If there were more and younger kids, you never get to drink your damned beer. ^^ So keeping an eye on their kids, without having fun, can parents do on their own. XD

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

I think that 21 is reasonable. It did help to cut down on drinking in colleges.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

If your goal is to kill large numbers of teenagers then lower the drinking age. Thats what happened in the USA when they lowered the drinking age in the sixties during the vietnam war.

The same arguments several used above were used back then. Eighteen year olds were being drafted and sent to die, but they couldnt legally drink. So the legislators caved in to the pressure and lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18. The result was teens dying on the highways from drunk driving. So after the war in the late seventies the 21 age limit was restored, and lives were saved. Twenty one may not be fair, but the limit seems to work-atleast in the USA.

If your goal is to be a demigogue hatemongeriing politician in Poland and the key to your scheme is this convoluted notion that "if they raise the drinking age that will cause 18 to 20 year olds to be enraged and I could exploit that anger to get elected" - I dont know.

Eighteen to 20 year olds only make up - I dunno- less than ten percent of the population. And that age group is most apathetic and least likely to vote of any age group.

So I would find some other issue to exploit.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm

Drinking age laws did nothing to stop my consumption of alcohol. By the time I finished school at 15, I had already had a few experiences of light drinking. All through my undergraduate degree I could not legally drink (age 19 in most provinces in Canada), but that certainly didn't stop me. When I went to study in Britain I was legal, but my program of study put a pretty tight rein on my consumption.

The thing that kept my drinking moderate was not laws--it was my upbringing. Alcohol was not forbidden in my parents' home--once I was old enough to appreciate it, I was allowed to have a glass of wine with dinner whenever my parents did. A small one, to be sure, but enough so that there was no mystery or mystique to alchohol. Consequently, when I was away from home and my parents' control, I felt no particular wish to drink for drinking's sake.

If we are going to base a legal drinking age on cerebral development, however, then I suggest that 21 may not be the correct cutoff. Neurological development is still likely ongoing at that age, and things don't settle down for a couple of years after that in many cases. But do we really believe that 25 is a more reasonable drinking age? It's certainly more rational, but it becomes rationalized into ridiculouslness.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

If your goal is to be a demigogue hatemongeriing politician in Poland and the key to your scheme is this convoluted notion that "if they raise the drinking age that will cause 18 to 20 year olds to be enraged and I could exploit that anger to get elected" - I dont know.

So I would find some other issue to exploit.

The idea of ​​raising of drinking age, it was the idea of one ​​a conservative Christian-democrat politician , after juvenile hooligans vandalized one small town after their team lost in soccer football match.

But not all young people are hooligans.

As for the use of hate and anger to win the election is known from the ancient Greci and Rome, and is extremely effective :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

As for the use of hate and anger to win the election is known from the ancient Greci and Rome, and is extremely effective :D

Well... it certainly worked for a certain politician in a certain country next door to your country.The same guy who erased your country from the map for six years!

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Goodwin's Law in 2 pages on drinking ages, that's impressive!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:

"Drinking ages" was never REALLY his topic.

I was the only respondant who actually addressed the subtext of his question- that being "how can I become a demigogue?"

Its pretty hard NOT to talk about demigogary and not think of the man with the little mustache.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

I was the only respondant who actually addressed the subtext of his question- that being "how can I become a demigogue?"

Its pretty hard NOT to talk about demigogary and not think of the man with the little mustache.

I'm admit i'm troll :D an aspie troll :D

But the topic is very much true, I wondered what would happen if in my country introduced an unpopular law such as incresing drinking age like in America. Does i can I take advantage of this fact and antagonize the public, in my example, young adults against adults warm their anger, so I could fulfil my dream, have power be Prime Minister instead of the Prime Minister :D , It worked in ancient time, worked in Middle Ages and Renascence, it certainly can work in modern time:s-)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:24 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

But the topic is very much true, I wondered what would happen if in my country introduced an unpopular law such as incresing drinking age like in America. Does i can I take advantage of this fact and antagonize the public, in my example, young adults against adults warm their anger, so I could fulfil my dream, have power be Prime Minister instead of the Prime Minister :D , It worked in ancient time, worked in Middle Ages and Renascence, it certainly can work in modern time:s-)

Maybe you can persuade the electorate of Poland that the current prime minister is hiding his birth certificate because he was really born in Kenya!

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:

Maybe you can persuade the electorate of Poland that the current prime minister is hiding his birth certificate because he was really born in Kenya!

Obama joke, nice :D