Page 11 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

Since when is not listening to mainstream music considered weird?

I listen to a variety of genres, I like bleak and depressive stuff like doom or black or gothic metal or post-punk. I also like atmospheric and psychedelic stuff very much, e.g. post-rock. I love electric guitars and I also like stuff that is neither dark nor atmospheric, but more danceable and uplifting like Franz Ferdinand or The Strokes (even though they're clearly influenced by post-punk riffs, so maybe there's a connection?). I like electronic stuff if it's melodic/psychedelic/atmospheric (I don't like really monotonous music like minimal). I also like some mainstream music, mainly the electronic type with female voices.... sometimes I just want some catchy tunes.
So, mostly, it comes down to rock music somehow. I love genre-bending bands like Oceansize.

May favorite band is Radiohead, I guess that's both very mainstream (as they are really successful) and a bit anti-mainstream at the same time :D

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 5:22 pm

syndragon wrote:
Its hard to define odd. Odd depends on the person and if he had listened to it before.

But as an Aspie I only know ONE person that knows some of the stuff that I listen to, and he is a music teacher. So..
And that also make me a lonely person, cuz where I live there is no club,bar or whichever place that plays what I listen to.

You know any of these?

Philip Glass
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Godspeed you! Black emperor
Labirinto

and lots more

I know Godspeed you! Black emperor and Aphex Twin. I often heard about Autechre and Philip Glass but never actually listened to them. Never head of Labirinto, though.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 11:54 pm

I prefer metal, which I suppose is considered "weird" for a woman, particularly one who is small and timid. Not what people would expect of me at all, if they don't know me well. I don't like most pop music simply because that's all I heard at college, and now at work (retail), so I'm just really tired of it. I don't think my musical preferences really have anything to do with my Asperger's, although one of my obsessions is the band Tool.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2017, 6:11 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I prefer metal, which I suppose is considered "weird" for a woman, particularly one who is small and timid. Not what people would expect of me at all, if they don't know me well. I don't like most pop music simply because that's all I heard at college, and now at work (retail), so I'm just really tired of it. I don't think my musical preferences really have anything to do with my Asperger's, although one of my obsessions is the band Tool.

Tool are really outstanding, I wish they would do a tour in Europe :/ Last time they did, I didn't know them yet.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

anti_gone, I feel you there. I discovered Tool a year after they had a concert in my area. That's probably the only concert I'd think would be worth the severe sensory issues I'd have with the noise.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"