Page 1 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

I don't believe there is a connection between Asperger's and music taste, but rapidroy seems to think so.

rapidroy wrote:
I looked at the link you provide at the signature line of your posts, after watching this thread for a few weeks I just got curious, I don't know anyhing about the music you appear to listen to and I honestly don't care, if you looked at 75% of my music collection you may very well come to the same conclusion. Point is the type of independent/non conformist thinking it takes to appreate stuff like that is an Aspergers trait, I have spent the weekend in my room doing nothing for the same reasons you mention, its the price we pay to have the freedom we have with our thoughts.

I don't think my Aspereger's made my music taste odd. I know a lot of NTs with weird music taste and Aspies that like mainstream music.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

I don't think any kind of music taste is odd, it's just likely that Aspies are more inclined to listen to what they like instead of what everyone else is listening to (which is not true for everyone, though).

I've grown up listening to grunge bands and country, as well as been exposed to quite a few music genres. My likes tend to vary, and I don't really have a favorite genre.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

Depends what is defined as 'odd'... Though I only prefer soundtracks from video games, pertaining from my special interest, the tracks I don't change for which I kept for years on playlists, I personally don't see that as odd though others perceive is as unusual. It's just something I like and probably Autism has nothing if little to do with it.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 1:58 am

My taste in music isn't odd, interestingly enough. My favourite genre is romantic music; specifically, symphonies and solo piano music. There's even an internet for unsung composers which I belong to. I might be trespassing on there, but still...

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 2:58 am

Music is probably my main hobby and I do listen mostly to unknown/independent music. Pretty much ties in with what the original poster is saying but i don't know if that is an Aspie thing, think it is just a music lovers thing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:00 am

One time many years ago when I was at my clubhouse, I was sitting around the lounge with a bunch of friends and other members. The student worker was asking us all about our favourite rock band. She asked me what my favourite band is, and I answered "The Kinks". She said, "That's very unusual". I asked, "What's so unusual about that"? She said, "Not too many people would pick The Kinks as their favourite band".

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:44 am

Define "odd". I know my taste in music is odd. I spent most of my teenage years (2001-2009) listening to a lot of stuff that was either unknown or a good 10 - 20 years older than me.

And I get weird looks from people regarding my taste in music because I generally don't know the so-called big artists. Someone tried (and failed badly) to educate me on who Jason Miraz is. Apparently, I should know who he is.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 7:53 am

I don't have an unusual taste in music. The rest of the world have :lol:

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2013, 8:31 am

I rarely listened to today's music. I mostly listen to music from the 1990s or early 2000s. I guess that IS unusual.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:44 am

...... bad song so deleted

Last edited by b9 on 26 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2013, 9:59 am

This is a difficult question to answer, because everyone has different ideas of what sounds weird and what sounds normal, but I'll give it a go anyhow.

I can't speak for anyone else, but AS has definitely affected my taste - I had a monomaniacal interest in 60s psychedelia that led to me searching albums by the likes of love and Tim Buckley whilst most of my schoolmates were still bopping to Cyndi Lauper (if female) or Whitesnake (if male).

OK - that last sentence was over-simplistic, but you get my drift.

Personally, I regard my musical taste in a positive light. It's given me a raison d'etre and a passion for making my own music that has stayed with me well into middle age. It's also provided emotional sustenance at a good few pints in my life when - if I'd had to rely on other human beings for it - I'd have been up s**t creek without even the proverbial canoe, never mind a paddle.

If there were ever a 'cure' for Aspergers', I'd happily take it on the whole. Nonetheless, the precocious interest in music is probably the one symptom I'd want to keep, even if I could rid myself of all the others.

Last edited by Bustduster on 26 Mar 2013, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

I listen to a mixture of music, and it really is a mixture. I like old songs from all over the 1900s, whether they are mainstream or not, and I also like a few new songs aswell, but not as many. Heck, I even have a few nursery rhymes thrown into my favourite playlist on Realplayer. I told you I literally like all kinds of music.

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2013, 10:32 am

May I suggest that aspies can like any genre of music, as can NTs, yet NTs are more inclined to subscribe to popular culture than aspies who tend to follow their own interests, often in spite of society perception/pressure. This leads to NT music tastes being heavily centered on popular culture whereas aspies interests may be more evenly spread. :D

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:09 am

I wasn't drawing a direct connection between an odd taste in music and aspergers, more so by not feeling sociaty's pressure to conform to a common standard and reject the rest you are more in a position to apprecate something different (musical or not)and in my case it became a special intrest of mine along with meny things over the years. Does my theory make sense now?

I myself do listen to some popular stuff however rare and often not when its popular, sometimes bands I follow end up becomeing quite popular with the masses later in life.

Keltron3030
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

I am not sure if it has an effect on my musical taste, but I do tend to stay away from most, if not, all mainstream/popular artists.

I hear what's on the radio today, and I get frustrated for the most part. Hearing the purchased lyrics on top of the synthetic hook makes me cringe. I prefer listening to concept albums, a good example being BTBAM "The Parallax II: Future Sequence". When lyrics and music work together to create an image and an atmosphere, I really try to take it all in and enjoy it.

Now I know ALL mainstream music does not fit this bill, and I do try to listen to music on the radio, but for now, I'll be sticking to my iPod for my source of music.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 11:39 am

Does anyone know where I can link Alan Cross' 4 stages of the alternative music life cycle from his book "Over the edge" in the preface page xiii, I'm looking at the book now but don't feel like/have time typeing a whole page out, it would go along way to explaining my point of how music fanship works and it would be clear why obscure music may appeal to a person with asperger's syndrome from a socialogical perspective.

If I try to paraphrase now I will just make a mess of it, brain not working right at the moment.