Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 2:12 pm

I'm learning how to play the drums at my school.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 2:24 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
janicka wrote:
I play the violin.

I play in a community orchestra now. I also agreed to join a string quartet comprised of members of said orchestra. We actually played Christmas Carols at Barnes & Noble one weekend right before Christmas. It was fun and we manged to raise some money for our orchestra.

Wow, are you single ???

Are you pretty ??

Answer the second question first ! !!

Second question - not sure. I have a weight problem that I am currently addressing.

First question - no, I'm married. Sorry.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 6:46 pm

6- and 12-string acoustic and electric guitar, 4-, 5-, 6-, 8- and 12-string bass (I really miss my 12-string Hamer bass, let me tell you) and voice (flexible baritone). Been playing since I was 14.. played flute when I was a kid.
Guitar-wise, I eventually realised that I just don't have the dexterity to do lead guitar the way I'd like to, so I focused on my strength: rhythm. I'm an excellent rhythm guitarist and bassist.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 6:54 pm

blackcat wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
blackcat wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I play 12 instruments, and compose. My main instrument is the clarinet, which I've been playing for almost 14 years. I plan to make a career out of playing the clarinet and composing.

really?could you help me with my rythms?i mostly play by ear as i am not good at reading them.

I could try to help. What is it about them that gives you trouble?

i dont understand them.i read the notse...i get how many beats pre measures...how long each note should be held...but ive never grasped the concept of the rythem.i usually sit stupified during sightreading while everyone else seems to automatically know how it should sound.i am at a loss. :(

Hmm... thinking thinking thinking. I can relate to that problem, sort of. I know how rhythms should sound but getting them out right isn't my strong suit.
If you heard enough rhythms and combinations of rhythms, would that help? If you could get the print music and recorded music for the same pieces and follow thr score while listening to the recording, that might help make a link in your head between the look of the rhythms and how they sound.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2007, 7:24 pm

I can play a Didgeridoo, circular breathing and all. I'm pretty good at playing it. I can also play a Berimbau, I'm ok at playing that one.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 10:15 pm

diseased wrote:
6- and 12-string acoustic and electric guitar, 4-, 5-, 6-, 8- and 12-string bass (I really miss my 12-string Hamer bass, let me tell you) and voice (flexible baritone). Been playing since I was 14.. played flute when I was a kid.
Guitar-wise, I eventually realised that I just don't have the dexterity to do lead guitar the way I'd like to, so I focused on my strength: rhythm. I'm an excellent rhythm guitarist and bassist.

I'm good at rhythm, as well, I've not much problem with timing. I dont want to stop at rhythm though, I want to tried lead or die learning (just started some months ago)

So, yes, I'm learning guitar

alan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2007, 1:37 am

A tip for improving rhythm when sight reading - count the rhythm out loud to yourself before you play it.

Examples: for 4 quarter notes in 4/4 time say "one, two, three, four"
for 2 half notes in 4/4 time say "one.... three...."
for eighth notes say "and" between the beats, "one and two and three and four and"
if there is no attack on a beat, as when there are tied eighth notes, don't say the number, "one and.... and....and

If this is confusing, try googling "Eastman counting system" for a clearer explanation.

Choirs do this all the time. It's called rhythmic isolation. Basically, you practice just the rhythm without having to think about the notes (pitches), fingering, etc.

I'm a prosfessional musician and singer. I play guitar and bass guitar. I've read that there is a suspected relationship between autism spectrum nuerology and musical ablility. It's certianly true of some musical savants. There is reason to think the OP's son might not only be able to keep up in learning the drums, but might excel at it. As a musician and teacher, I certainly can't think of any reason Asperger's would be a hinderance in learning an instrument.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:57 am

even if the OP's son doesn't go on to become the next John/Jason Bonham or Neil Peart, music can be excellent self-therapy.
I can't tell you how many times I've had an ultracraptastic day, then come home, plugged in and started cranking out covers of Slayer or Judas Priest or whatever and within 15 minutes, felt MUCH better.
Plus, (and allow me this one generalisation here), chicks dig musicians.
Granted, there seems (at least in my experience) to be a hierarchy, starting with the vocalist, then lead guitarist, then in no particular order, guitar2, bass and drums.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 3:56 am

I play the guitar, electric and acoustic, bass, and I sing, all quite proficiently. I also picked up the piano on my own, was taught to play drums (what a relaxing instrument, the kit...) and trumpet. However I show a marked proficiency for stringed instruments and an obvious defiency in the wind section... I can't even whistle... :oops:

Apparently I have an innate sense of rhythm (as per my guitar teacher when I was 14) and I love the sensation of the strings against my fingertips - one of the only intense tactile sensations from which I draw any physical pleasure over which I have control. So rough, so rigid - yet so pliable and non-invasive...

Argh I'll shut up now, I just sound like a freak...

JYossarian
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2007, 3:58 am

I'm taking piano classes at school (My 3rd quarter) and I absolutely hate it when I have to perform for the others in class. :oops: I tell the teacher that I just want to learn how to play for personal enjoyment but she just tells me that music is meant to be heard by others or something like that. Other than that though, I enjoy the class and learning to play.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 5:50 am

I used to play the drums and had lessons for 2 years.

Lemmiwinks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2007, 5:56 am

I play the oboe. I have played for 18 years or so....it is really hard.

1. If life gives you poop......make poop juice.
2. Living in a Dystopian Future - right now.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 6:08 am

JYossarian wrote:
I'm taking piano classes at school (My 3rd quarter) and I absolutely hate it when I have to perform for the others in class. :oops: I tell the teacher that I just want to learn how to play for personal enjoyment but she just tells me that music is meant to be heard by others or something like that. Other than that though, I enjoy the class and learning to play.

You ever watched Data in Star Trek, can only think of him as he’s an Android who plays music, he is told to play in the group to show people his talent so others can share listening to him play, I would say this is the best way to put out what it feels like for me or maybe others on why others need to hear you play the music with the passion you might be putting into the music, when you finish their clap how does that part make you feel after the anxiety of playing in front of people watching... Know it might not come quick or at all but that is what the teacher is saying, she might also see you have low confidence...

Veronica
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2007, 11:02 am

I'm currently learning bass and loving it.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:36 pm

I've always wanted to learn acoustic guitar, but I find the prospect of > 4 strings daunting.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 3:28 pm

diseased wrote:
6- and 12-string acoustic and electric guitar, 4-, 5-, 6-, 8- and 12-string bass (I really miss my 12-string Hamer bass, let me tell you)

Have you ever listened to Roger Waters album "Amused to Death", features a 12 string Rickenbacker plucked with a feather ! !! (I kid you not ! !!)