Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 3:28 pm

diseased wrote:
6- and 12-string acoustic and electric guitar, 4-, 5-, 6-, 8- and 12-string bass (I really miss my 12-string Hamer bass, let me tell you)

Have you ever listened to Roger Waters album "Amused to Death", features a 12 string Rickenbacker plucked with a feather ! !! (I kid you not ! !!)

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 4:59 pm

Bizarre... no, sure haven't. Have to keep an eye/ear out for that.

Flow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 12:24 am

I play violin, and I am in chorus.

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 1:17 am

I play violin. I have a hard time with it because I have hearing problems and also am sensitive to noise, but I love playing.

captainshirt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2007, 6:11 am

music saves my life again and again....i can play anything i get my hands on...piano banjo clarinette drums sitar jews harp singing saw mixtape i dont care.....i love it so much!! !! ! i wouldnt know what to do without it....everyone should play music so they can meet god....

MapReader
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2007, 7:14 am

I play piano accordian. Not so cool, I know, but I like it. I used to play in a band playing Balkan/Jewish music. Mostly I like to play French or English country dance music. I learned piano as a child and taught myself acoustic guitar.

It's true my co-ordination is poor. Can't catch or play football. But I can pick up instruments with not much practice. Strange. My sense of rhythm is actually much better than average. I was the one who held the rhythms (7/8, 11/8 etc) in the band. I find most pop/rock music dull rhymthically, and prefer 'world' music.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:49 am

I never really learned an instrument, but I do play the recorder. It's a soprano (the most common kind, though I'd like to learn alto, as well) and I can play from the low C (where all the holes are covered) up to (about half the time) the high G. That is thirteen notes, plus all the sharps/flats within range of those two. I play whatever music I can get my hands on, which usually ends up being written for a clarinet. I have been told that the clarinet is similar to the recorder in many ways.

MapReader - I think the accordian is awesome. :)

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 2:39 pm

I play the acoustic guitar.

I guess you could say my sound is a lot like Jonathan Edwards. Who had the hit anti-war song "Sunshine (Go Away)."

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 3:31 pm

calibaby wrote:
I play violin. I have a hard time with it because I have hearing problems and also am sensitive to noise, but I love playing.

Sometimes in winter when my violin gets really dry I don't like the tone quality so the sound bothers me. I bought a dampit though and the tone quality is just amazing now. It's also better for the instrument to have some humidity...

Maybe something like that could help you - I think they're only about $10.

asperience
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2007, 3:43 pm

I've never been good at musical instruments, and I ascribed this to my Aspieness when I learned I was an Aspie.

Growing up I was forced to learn the piano. I got it okay, but it seemed to take me longer to learn than others. One of my strongest memories was when I was trying to learn a song on the piano and my dad thought I wasn't trying. He yelled at me to try harder, and I cried because I was trying as hard as I could.

In college I took a general music course taught by famed minimilast composer Terry Riley. One of the assignments was to learn piano, and I struggled but couldn't seem to keep up with the other students. It seemed like my short term memory and pitch deafness conspired against me. Another of the assignments was to compose some music and write it out. I really had no idea what I was doing so I basically just wrote down a bunch of notes. The funny thing is that Terry said the way he graded the compositions was that he played them on the piano. So I can say that my music has been played by famed compower Terry Riley :-)

And last year I bought a guitar to try and learn. I took a course at the local Rec department. I found myself just generally too clumsy to get things right, and my memory not very good at learning the chords. And I definitely have rhythm issues. So I just sold the guitar.

On the other hand I very much like listening to music.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:51 pm

I have been guitar since I was like 11 (I just turned 23 about a month ago). I'm pretty good though I should be better as I don't get much practice time in. I also play a bit of bass guitar and I can fool around on piano as well.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jan 2007, 9:07 pm

i play the synth, produce my own music and dj

Stop talking trash