Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

donothing1979
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

hallo!

i know that Aspies have varied and special interests... but how many of us here are fans of science in general, and the skepticism movement? i love the Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Skeptoid, Rationally Speaking, and a few of the Australian podcasts...

i didn't do well in science and mathematics in grade/high school, which i think is strange, because i have a degree in science, and i'm working on a second. i definitely love knowing about science and technology, specifically computer science, genetics and biotechnology, and neuroscience.

also, what's your favorite pseudoscience... i mean "favorite" as in "love to hate". ;) my favorites are cryptozoology and anti-vaxers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

My favorite skeptics' websites are Cosmophobia, the James Randi Educational Foundation, the Skeptic's Dictionary, and the Skeptic Project.

The Devil's Dictionary also has some useful material.

Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

My favorite to hate is anything this uses and abuses the word Quantum. For example, Richard Dawkins calling out Deepak Chopra for his Quantum Healing.

I suppose that is an example pseudoscience borrowing terms from physics to try and sound more legitamate.

donothing1979
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2013, 6:59 pm

YES. I agreeeeeee. Quantum-bullshit is one of the worst, but i just find myself laughing at them rather than getting mad about it! :D i suppose that's because i live in San Francisco, and quantum crapolla is as common out here as going to a sushi bar and seeing Oilfish or Escolar on the menu advertised as "Butterfish".

and the Jref and Skeptic's Dictionary are both in my bookmarks toolbar in firefox!