Hi there from Mum of recently diagnosed 2E 10 y/o

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Abenalin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm

Hi everyone

Well up until about 5 days ago, we simply thought we had an eccentric, somewhat socially awkward gifted boy (diagnosed at 7) with a tonne of quirks :lol: ...right up until I got a call from the Guidance Officer at school who asked about an ADHD/Aspergers diagnosis 2 years ago. I dismissed both at the time because the Paed Psych had no background information on our son, based it on an hour long meeting and, at the time, we were living in a remote Aboriginal community so he stuck out like the proverbial anyway. ADHD is definitely out and as I said to the GO, laughable. Turns out our boy is an Aspie ... and all those quirks, though I've read loads of books on Autism, I simply put down to shared traits of gifted kids. When I really think about it, I can't believe I didn't say it out loud years ago. I've been cutting the tags off his clothes since he was a baby and turning his socks inside out because of the seams, he hasn't been to a school disco because he cannot stand loud noises, he can be incredibly blunt without realising he's being offensive, he won't wear clothing with images only plain or striped, is empathetic toward animals but not people and finds it hard to recognise when people are trying to befriend him. He's actually a really funny and likeable kid who uses figurative language, puns and rhetoric better than most adults.

So anyway, as a friend recently told me, he's a poster boy for Aspie. The only thing that changes really is some extra funding at school so he can work with the Guidance Officer on the social stuff (he's been/being bullied), and an understanding by them that the way he learns needs to be taken into account. He has a photographic memory and is across the board gifted but especially good with Maths, science and languages though he also excels athletically. I believe we've been conscious parents and have always advocated for him ... that won't change, nor will the way we parent. I think we've always parented him like he's an Aspie anyway. My husband is also an Aspie, self-diagnosed (though I knew 12 years ago) just yesterday :D .

This stuff is not new, but it is. He's always had the traits - we just didn't have a name for it aside from eccentric and quirky. I've YouTubed a few clips on the subject and showed him and we've discussed it all as well. I think he's kind of relieved to know that there's a reason why he doesn't get 'it'. He told me he felt broken and that he needed fixing. My response was that I thought it was incredibly special to view the world in a way that only a minority get to see it. I think he was ok with that.

I'm looking forward to traversing what the Aspie world and those who share traits with him have to offer and helping him with the tools he needs for a fulfilling life.

Happy to be here. Deborah

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2013, 11:22 pm

Hi Deborah :)

Welcome to WP! Your boy sounds amazing :)

Abenalin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

Valkyrie2012 wrote:
Your boy sounds amazing
Thanks Valkyrie ... he is. He's taught me a lot about myself and certainly challenged my parenting! The kid's deadset loveable. Thanks also for the welcome.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 3:45 am

Welcome to WP

I am myself a mother with AS and have four boys of which I think two of them is on the spectrum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

Sweet greetings to WPea!

Mick and PeahawkImage

AspergerSupport
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2013, 1:33 am

Welcome to WP! :* Have fun, Enjoy yourself.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 6:41 am

Hello, Deborah, and welcome! :)

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Welcome! :D