Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

black008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2013, 6:43 am

I hate going to church, but my wife sings in the choir, so I am trying to support her in her love for music. Anyway, what is the best way to keep myself occupied so that I am not drawn into what the preacher is saying, praying, or saying creeds. So far I just stand when others stand but I do not pray and I do not say creeds. I figure if I do not think it is important to me I should not feel pressure to do it. However, I do not want to stand out and I do not want to mimic what others are doing. It is such a relief to know I am not the only one that feels out of place. Please any advice? :silent:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 7:01 am

Bring a handheld computer game set to silent. Wear an MP3 player with headphones. Then just stand up and sit down when everyone else does.

Sorted.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

black008

29 Mar 2013, 8:17 am

Great advice thanks

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

I don't see how going to be supportive and then not paying attention is supportive. Am I missing something?

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

black008

29 Mar 2013, 10:25 am

I want to support my wife and her singing. I just don't want to be bothered with any of rest of the service.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 11:24 am

Go with the flow. No one who's not into it feels comfortable with it and can't wait to get outta there. Sounds like very liturgical setting. That would drive me nuts. Ironically, I attend a small casual church, because it's the only group of people I feel safe and comfortable around. And I'm talking small, like a little as twenty people at some services. And I'm into it, so that helps too of course. Not looking completely forward to this Sunday though. For Easter it's gonna be packed. And packed with a lot of people I don't know, who only go to church on Easter and Christmas.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

I understand, thanks.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

black008 wrote:
I hate going to church, but my wife sings in the choir, so I am trying to support her in her love for music. Anyway, what is the best way to keep myself occupied so that I am not drawn into what the preacher is saying, praying, or saying creeds. So far I just stand when others stand but I do not pray and I do not say creeds. I figure if I do not think it is important to me I should not feel pressure to do it. However, I do not want to stand out and I do not want to mimic what others are doing. It is such a relief to know I am not the only one that feels out of place. Please any advice? :silent:

That is a predicament. I understand you are supportive of your wife, yet does she understand how you feel about religion or the preacher talking in general? I can't sit through a church service i start freaking out and end up running away from the church for a bit. Also that happened i was in an isolated spot to begin with (wasn't stuck amongst people really). Yet i understand how you feel. Could you stay for just the choir/music part and then leave, or does the choir continue throughout the whole church?

If you explain to your wife, she should understand. Maybe just go for the music? and then leave. I'm not sure how your church does...
I know it can be very uncomfortable heraing preachers talking and all the rest.

Being that you are supportive of your wife, she should be supportive of your needs as well.

black008

29 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

Thanks I will talk to her about what you said.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 5:55 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Wear an MP3 player with headphones.

Be careful with that. It will look extremely rude if you're not seen to be joining in the service with everyone else.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Bring a handheld computer game set to silent. Wear an MP3 player with headphones. Then just stand up and sit down when everyone else does.

Sorted.

Not exactly appropriate behavior given the setting.