Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Buick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2013, 12:53 pm

I'm wondering if there is a way I can reconcile with people I've alienated due to my atypical behavior. There have been quite a few people I'd really like to have been friends with that I know I scared away by being "weird", "creepy", or "stalkerish". Only a very few ever made it clear that they never wanted to hear from me again, and I can let them be, but is there any way I can reestablish contact with any of the others that won't make the situation any worse?

They never knew about my condition (I have Asperger's) and, at the time, I didn't know either, so there was no way I could've explained it to them before they stepped away. I always try to mention it to new people I meet if I feel a desire to be close to them so that, hopefully, my actions don't lead to suspicion. But is it too late to offer an apology or explanation to those who have already shut me out because they couldn't accept me?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

no it's not. Why not give it a shot and see if it works. The worst they can do is tell you to get lost.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2013, 8:06 pm

people are always trying to befriend people that make us feel good about ourselves, that is why people want friends, to fee vindicated for being the person one is, im doomed because i know really don't care or feel the need to be vindicated but i just want to do things keep myself busy instead of sitting around waiting to die. but i guess that is the wrong idea, at least in my mind

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2013, 4:35 am

i aliented most of my family, relatives, in laws during a low phase in my life i was quite frustrated.

but they were interested in talking with me.....so i took them back.

but they are too toxic to get closer i just keep in touch with them once or twice a year
like calling up or keeping relation for sake of it a formality

if you are not comfortable with them then dont bother getting attached with them much

henryd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2013, 7:11 am

There's no guarantee that it will work out. But if you think there'll be one that might understand what ASD means, and he or she is willing to cope with that, don't miss that chance.
As a NT I came to learn that a female friend (don't know if the friendship is mutual and never will) has ASD of some kind; it helped me to understand her better and take some situations not too personal. It helped me to understand how she thinks and sees the world. I think it is necessary to maintain a friendship in the long run.