Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2013, 2:12 am

So tomorrow I am flying up to my dads to be with him for Easter. But today was awful. I woke up and went down stairs. A few minutes later I heard this awful noise. Which apparently was the vacuum cleaner. My mom has I nice one that make almost no noise. This is like a train. I covered my ears and walked to dans mom who shouted it is chore day go watch tv and then she has a surprise later. I went downstairs and the noise was better but I was on edge from that. The surprise was we are going to the beach. My dad live way up north and my mom moved really far down south. I haven't gone to the beach or at least I can't remember ever going. So I said yes and was a little excited. My dad has a pool so I really like swimming. We got there and I imidiatly hated it. The smell was over whelming. There was sand everywhere even on the side walk. So I did as they did and took off my shoes and socks and went out. Let me just say NEVER again will I go to a beach. I took a few steps in the sand and turned back. Dan was all like come on you'll love it. So I went further away from the car. The sand was disgusting let alone the trash and general crap along the beach. Dan actually WALKED THROUGH sea weed and didn't even flinch. When I got in to the water I liked it a little until I put my foot on a sharp rock. When we were done at the beach we packed up. Dan and his sister PUT THERE SOCKS ON WITH THERE SANDY FEET WITH ONLY BRUSHING THEM OFF. I went to a bathroom and got a ton over paper towels and started to clean my feet. I got my stuff on and it still was itchy. When I got back I showered for probably an hour. And still I feel like I am still sandy. Anyway tomorrow I am flying to my dads which I hate but hey at least he won't take me to a beach

Fluffpuffgerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Mar 2013, 2:25 am

Sorry you had a bad day at the beach. =( Which coast? East or West?

I'm going to the beach Monday and I'm super excited, as the beach is my favourite place on EARTH, and I'm going to the Oregon Coast, which is better than any hot muggy, over crowded beach. Nice and empty most of the time, and occasional person here or there reassuring me that I'm not totally isolated from anything. But I dunno, I find the sound of the ocean to be one of the most comforting noises in existence, and the accompanying sounds such as the seagulls, and then the smell of the sea, along with the soft warm, or cold and wet, sand is just awesome. I'm stoked because I've not been there in AGES! And I'm going with my best friend.

Well, we all have our different likes and dislikes. And I'd probably be the one to put on my socks over sandy feet, but that's because trying to rinse them off completely is annoying.

But anyway, I hope you can enjoy the time you spend during Easter with your dad,, and again, sorry you had a bad experience at the beach. I guess it just isn't for everyone! (I would live there if I could)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 2:49 am

Does not compute.

I LOVE the beach. Although, I did intentionally avoid going to beaches for many years - but not because I didn't like the beach itself. Long story, doesn't matter right now lol.

I can relate to not liking stepping on sharp rocks.. but that's what crocks/sandles/aquasocks or wetsuit booties etc are for.

I almost always love the smell, too. The sea air is just.. nice. 8)

I'll walk through seaweed and sand and all that no problem, but I don't like putting my socks back on until I've dried my feet and gotten rid of any sand etc. I hate wearing dirty socks, even temporarily. I'd rather leave dirty wet socks off and just dry my feet and wear my shoes barefoot, or even drive barefoot (illegally) than put wet dirty gross socks back on my feet once they've been taken off. I wouldn't want to put sand and beach junk inside socks I'm putting back on, either. Ew. :P Buuut, I'm not nearly as grossed out or OCD about that kind of stuff anymore compared to how I used to be and can tolerate it temporarily if I have to. It's not going to ruin my day, I just don't like wearing wet dirty socks if I can avoid it.

Then again, I LOVE the beach because when I go I either get to go do this again, or it reminds me of doing it:

[img][800:543]http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/binary/131d/sports_upcoming4.jpg[/img]

I'm not in this pic, I just googled it. I'm still a bit of a newb on the water, but I have kited here - this beach is approx 120km from where I live and I can't wait to be able to get back there and kite again once the stars align and I have a car again! 8) I also been to beaches on the Oregon Coast to kite, too. Mostly kiteboarding on the hard packed sand w/ a mountainboard w/ 8" pneumatic tires, and kite buggying in 3 wheeled buggies that we ripped up and down Sunset Beach just North of Astoria, Oregon, which is about a 6 1/2 hour or so drive South of me.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 3:09 am

I feel for you, while I grew to tolerate the sand, occasional holidays near lakes and the sea, with associated sensory issues of texture and smell intolerance, have put me off seafood for life.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 3:31 am

If I hadn't grown up near the beach in Southern California and been taken there since I was a baby, I'd feel the same way about it and kind of do anyways. The smell is too strong. The sand is very irritating. It's way too bright/sunny. A little too noisy. The waves knock me down a lot. I can only go in waist deep and even them I'm nervous.

I do like walking along the beaches of Puget Sound near Seattle fully dressed wearing boots (to keep the sand out) and they're more rocky than sandy. No big loud waves and it's usually cloudy. I like staring at the water and watching the sea gulls and boats go by...

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 7:04 am

I second Goldfish, get some water shoes as thats what I use as I dislike the sand, rocks and all the other horrible things hiding in the water, living and not. Maybe bring some clean water to clean your feet before you go, I always had to be creative to clean my feet in the water and put my socks/shoes etc before I went home, sometimes it took meny tries. Some lakes do smell bad at times, pollution does not help good thing my sense of smel is poor however meny at the beach/pool do use noseplugs so maybe that is an option. The beach can be fun just be prepaired as it can be a real sensory problem.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:15 am

I totally love the beach! Although I prefer it to have very little or no people at all.

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2013, 8:17 am

I hate the beach, especially Hampton Beach....

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 12:34 am

Pokelover14 wrote:
So tomorrow I am flying up to my dads to be with him for Easter. But today was awful. I woke up and went down stairs. A few minutes later I heard this awful noise. Which apparently was the vacuum cleaner. My mom has I nice one that make almost no noise. This is like a train. I covered my ears and walked to dans mom who shouted it is chore day go watch tv and then she has a surprise later. I went downstairs and the noise was better but I was on edge from that. The surprise was we are going to the beach. My dad live way up north and my mom moved really far down south. I haven't gone to the beach or at least I can't remember ever going. So I said yes and was a little excited. My dad has a pool so I really like swimming. We got there and I imidiatly hated it. The smell was over whelming. There was sand everywhere even on the side walk. So I did as they did and took off my shoes and socks and went out. Let me just say NEVER again will I go to a beach. I took a few steps in the sand and turned back. Dan was all like come on you'll love it. So I went further away from the car. The sand was disgusting let alone the trash and general crap along the beach. Dan actually WALKED THROUGH sea weed and didn't even flinch. When I got in to the water I liked it a little until I put my foot on a sharp rock. When we were done at the beach we packed up. Dan and his sister PUT THERE SOCKS ON WITH THERE SANDY FEET WITH ONLY BRUSHING THEM OFF. I went to a bathroom and got a ton over paper towels and started to clean my feet. I got my stuff on and it still was itchy. When I got back I showered for probably an hour. And still I feel like I am still sandy. Anyway tomorrow I am flying to my dads which I hate but hey at least he won't take me to a beach

Where do you live in New Jersey? I've been to a lot of beaches and the only really dirty ones were in NJ and NY.
I've never been West Coast so i can't speak for out there.
However SC & FL have nice beaches East Coast

Maybe if your day had not started out so overwhelming, you'd have enjoyed the beach better.