Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lamontge
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2013, 6:45 am

So for as long as I can remember a few times a year I would get Sleep Paralysis, Just had a episode tonight. Scares the bleep out of me each time. Anyone else have the same problem?

For those that don't know it is like being awake but unable to move and half asleep, the light plays tricks and it feels like something is holding you down or sitting on your chest. For me i have had it last for over 30 min, it is rare to have the clock in view and a minute can be a very, very, very long time in that state.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 8:14 am

lamontge wrote:
So for as long as I can remember a few times a year I would get Sleep Paralysis, Just had a episode tonight. Scares the bleep out of me each time. Anyone else have the same problem?

For those that don't know it is like being awake but unable to move and half asleep, the light plays tricks and it feels like something is holding you down or sitting on your chest. For me i have had it last for over 30 min, it is rare to have the clock in view and a minute can be a very, very, very long time in that state.

I have definitely experienced all that you describe above. Although it is an occasional thing, not regular.

There is also a slight intuition of creeping death. That is the scariest sensation.

Obviously I have not yet died from the experience, but it is in a word, spooky!

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:31 am

I've had hypnopompic and hypnagogic hallucinations without paralysis occasionally over the past three years.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 9:38 am

I've had it twice the past year. "Scares the bleep" out of me too. I'm in a bit of a hurry so I can't really write down what happened. So here's the link to a thread I started about it a while back: Sleep paralysis or something else?

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

I occasionally get this, it's horrid and distressing. Are you on any medication? If so, some medication can cause or contribute to this unfortunantly. x

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 11:33 am

I have had it two or three times in my entire life. It was scary because I feared that it might last forever and I would never be able to move again. I had actually heard about it before I had it for the first time and that helped me stay mentally calm. Some people associate it with some evil spirit or something, but that's rubbish.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:57 am

I'm not sure if what i had was sleep paralysis... at the time i had talked to my psychologist about it and he told me to watch the movie "Waking Life".

I would be asleep then wake up yet i was unable to move. Realizing i'm awake i could only sit up to my elbows (or at least i thought i could) yet my surroundings were as they should be and the time of day was accurate light outside.
This happened a couple of times i could never fully sit up or get up. I realized i was awake (however i am the type that when i am in a dream i do always realize i am dreaming) i'm not sure if thats odd or not i know not everyone does that.
My psychologist mentioned REM and different states of sleep.

It was one of the most bizarres experiences as i thought i could sit up to my elbows yet i couldn't move farther and i'm not sure i did this physically. I thought i might be on my way to an OBE or something.
Also at the time i was on Seroquel and Klonopin and i was wondering if they together caused an interaction with the pineal gland..

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2013, 2:44 pm

I used to get it nearly every night. I've since learned different trance techniques that lead to things like lucid dreaming and stuff I would personally identify as spiritual experiences, and it's more pleasant than scary now.

I've had it more than anyone else I know, though, for sure.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

I have experienced this twice in my life. Both times have been terrifying because I was living alone and had nobody that would check up on me should I not have come out of it, which added to the fear factor. That was the biggest concern, that I could stay like that forever and nobody would save me.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2013, 2:54 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
I'm not sure if what i had was sleep paralysis... at the time i had talked to my psychologist about it and he told me to watch the movie "Waking Life".

I would be asleep then wake up yet i was unable to move. Realizing i'm awake i could only sit up to my elbows (or at least i thought i could) yet my surroundings were as they should be and the time of day was accurate light outside.
This happened a couple of times i could never fully sit up or get up. I realized i was awake (however i am the type that when i am in a dream i do always realize i am dreaming) i'm not sure if thats odd or not i know not everyone does that.
My psychologist mentioned REM and different states of sleep.

It was one of the most bizarres experiences as i thought i could sit up to my elbows yet i couldn't move farther and i'm not sure i did this physically. I thought i might be on my way to an OBE or something.
Also at the time i was on Seroquel and Klonopin and i was wondering if they together caused an interaction with the pineal gland..

I think if I remember correctly that Seroquel is one of the drugs that can cause this, I'm on Seroquel as well.

JeepGuy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

I've never heard of sleep paralysis before, but now I'm a little freaked out. I've often had dreams/nightmares that were exactly like the descriptions of sleep paralysis. I always assumed these were just dreams about trying to wake up and not being able to move. There is always that sense of something or someone about to come after me and kill me. Sometimes I dream that I wake up, but I always wake up eventually for real out of these dreams. If you have hallucinations while you are experiencing sleep paralysis, how do you tell the difference between a normal dream and sleep paralysis? How do you come out of true sleep paralysis? This wouldn't freak me out so much if I wasn't always unable to move in these trying to wake up dreams. 8O

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 1:04 am

"The Entity" Channel 4 Documentary

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbpOucNVn4[/youtube]
Frankly I think those supernatural stories are BS.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 8:19 am

JeepGuy wrote:
I've never heard of sleep paralysis before, but now I'm a little freaked out. I've often had dreams/nightmares that were exactly like the descriptions of sleep paralysis. I always assumed these were just dreams about trying to wake up and not being able to move. There is always that sense of something or someone about to come after me and kill me. Sometimes I dream that I wake up, but I always wake up eventually for real out of these dreams. If you have hallucinations while you are experiencing sleep paralysis, how do you tell the difference between a normal dream and sleep paralysis? How do you come out of true sleep paralysis? This wouldn't freak me out so much if I wasn't always unable to move in these trying to wake up dreams. 8O

Sleep paralysis is where your brain wakes up but the chemical or part of your brain that signals your muscles to stop moving (so you don't actually run in real life while you dream you are running) isn't synchronized so your body stays in a paralyzed state. So the result is that you are awake mentally but you cannot move.

When this happens to me I struggle to move, to scream, to cry, but all I can do is breathe really hard, making no sound. Nothing else moves.

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2013, 9:23 am

This has happened to me a couple of times. Not anymore though. It would only last several minutes though and occasionally I would fall back asleep whilst in paralysis. I didn't find it THAT frightening when I was in sleep paralysis. I did hear of a guy on the news, however, who woke up in sleep paralysis and saw a guy standing over him who was real. The guy was a burglar, the news story did not explain what happened next. It was about sleep paralysis in general and not about people getting robbed.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 9:43 am

I've only had it happen twice that I remember and both times it was only for a few seconds. Still a very frightening experience to say the least!

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 11:15 am

Drone wrote:
This has happened to me a couple of times. Not anymore though. It would only last several minutes though and occasionally I would fall back asleep whilst in paralysis.

Those several minutes, to me, felt much longer, like some other measurement of time. Gum-stretched time.