Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 1:20 pm

Just curious.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 2:30 pm

College is what you make of it and gain afterwards. sometimes its not always possible to get what you initially came for but its always worth it in the end.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Unless you live in a city or plan to move to a city with work for the job you're aiming for, right now it really isn't worth it personally. For knowledge itself, I'd just take one class at a time. I think I could probably deal with one class a semester and slowly work up to a degree, but I didn't do well at college and quit my second year due to difficulties passing some classes. I really would like to just "test" for a degree, but I very much doubt they do that. Each person is different though, but for me unless I got a degree in computer systems or the medical field, there isn't much in my town that I can't do without a degree and get paid a little less than someone with one.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

My college years were a waste of time. I've spent two years there, just to end up in a factory job doing the plum jobs that I could look for myself without being in a Special Ed work experience programme.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

It depends on the person. If he/she has learning problems & did poorly in school with the typical book-learning & doesn't have a career goal that requires a college degree college could be a waist of time. Like m who struggled alot due to dyslexia & other problems & only did well in a coupe elective corses; did badly with college required stuff like English & math that wasn't practical, had problems doing reports, got names & terms confused, didn't learn by studying, had problems writing alot, problems explaining myself on discussion questions, couldn't remember diagrams. I had other problems with school too like getting stressed out easily & very frustrated when I was forced to do things I had major problems with & couldn't grasp, Aspie social issues dealing with my peers. I never had any desire to go to college & I didn't know what I wanted to do after high-school but I new I didn't want college. I would of spent at least a year taking remedial classes assuming I would not of failed & then I would o had to take alot of other corses that I would of struggled with. My dad dropped out after failing English a couple times & teacher told him that he would never pass him. my dad was working in construction(carpentry) while in college & liked it so he dropped out & did that full time & is still doing it. My mom on the other hand went to college & became an elementary school teacher. She retired a couple years ago because she had some health issues due to stress from the administration, requirements from the system, dealing with the kids & their parents ect. She liked working ith the kids but couldn't take the extra BS. She has a college degree & was making less than my dad who doesn't & she was unhappy with her job in the end but my dad likes his job. My parents sometimes make comments about how I would be employed rite now if I had went to college but I truly believe I would not of been able to handle it after a while & it would of wasted more of my parents money. I never regretted not going to college or had a second thought before I graduated high-school when my peers & parents & others were talking about it.

Nowadays lots of recent college graduates are having an extremely hard time finding employment & they have lots of debt to pay off.
However I do think college can be great if your the type of person who can do well with it or a certain filed that your majoring in & it's a field that is still in demand after you graduate.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

College/University can be very valuable. Its not just about getting a meal ticket or finding a partner.

The complete change of scene and a totally different environment can be very challenging and lonely to start with. But its a place with many mainly intelligent and varied people, and where else is it the expectation to follow a narrow field of interest deeply. If you can't find some fellow aspies and other interesting people then something is wrong.

There are also lots of clubs and societies which you can join. A lot of the "education" you get is not from lectures but from the people you meet and the interacting with an enriched environment.

People there tend to be more likely to accept you for what you are, and to be less racist, and less sexist.

Did I get a degree - yes; have fun - yes; get depressed - you bet; meet interesting people - yes;

Chers