Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 6:54 am

Has wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I never developed a persona and as a result have just dealt head on with the rejection that inevitably results

and

"It has never even occurred to me at any point.

I couldn't be bothered, too much work to remember being someone else."

I admire the fortitude that must take. Do you survive/ get by well in life without having to compromise yourself?

It depends of your definition of 'get by well in life'

I have my own house as I held down a job for over 10 years and I live with a friend I get on well with but I don't work now and feel most people see me as 'different' and often respond in a dismissive or disrespectful manner towards me.

In my opinion I don't look 'average' to begin with so people often have a problem with me before I've even opened my mouth so I reckon this has given me a major chip on my shoulder that's made me determined not to give this type of person an inch unless necessary. So I've got a defiant attitude against the world rather than an 'I want to fit right in' one. I'm quiet and self-effacing and do nothing to draw attention but I often seem to nevertheless and when you've had a lifetime of people making fun of you you tend to just prefer to avoid them. I've never understood why anyone would want to fit in with cruel people. I get along fine with intelligent respectful people who take people as they come but they are in the minority unfortunately and you have to wade through a lot of awful people to find them.

Society gives me no incentive to 'play the game' so I don't. I avoid it completely most of the time as it destroys my self-esteem if I'm exposed to it too much.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 7:18 am

I come from a similar family but I was never able to pretend enough to pass for normal, so they all disowned me. I think that having no family is so hard (I don't have a partner or friends either) that if you're able to feign enough to avoid being disowned, I'd do it. Even if you can never feel really close to them in your heart, other people noticing that you're alone without family puts you in a vulnerable/risky/dangerous position. This has been my experience as a woman alone of my age. Now if you have your own family, say spouse and kids, it'd be a much lower priority for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 8:27 am

Has wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Ironically, creating personas & hiding behind them like an actor in character is a documented ASD coping mechanism.

It is a relief to read that. I had no idea what response to expect to this topic and whether I was just insane for trying to be something I'm not.

8)

Read your "User Manual," there's a lot more in this book that will explain almost everything about why you are the way you are and do the things you do. I highly recommend it.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

Which "User Manual"? I want to read it too!

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

Moondust wrote:

Click where it says 'User Manual'

HINT It goes to this page: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-As ... ny+attwood

PS Though I would recommend this one that I really love http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Personal ... 1412922577

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:26 pm

Thank you, Greb!

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

Has wrote:
Just wondering whether there are many others out there familiar with having to create a persona in order to survive?

I have an extremely close immediate and extended family, and they don't really buy or have patience for Aspergers or ASD. My uncle who has Aspergers has basically been disowned by the family, called a "nutter" and all manner of other things. People still think it is some emotional issue, or something ridiculous to do with becoming too English (I'm a 3rd generation Immigrant from Iran). All my life up to about 6 months/ a year ago when I was ready to admit that I was almost certainly on the spectrum, I've had varying degrees of a fake persona just to see me through. It got to a level where I developed continual excuses for my strange behaviour, pretended to have more friends than I actually did, and pretended to be closer to them than I was, just to keep people from inquiring or feeling the need to intervene too much. Obviously, my level of difficulty relating to "society" was too extreme to go by unnoticed, and people knew I wasn't normal, but I insisted on keeping my true inner feelings of "otherness" well hidden. I finally feel, having gained confidence from researching ASD, and reading people's stories here that I can be my true self (and the fact that not being myself is tearing me apart in so many ways, physically and mentally).

Having got to this point I just wonder whether anyone can relate to this, and whether any of you out there have had to go to extreme levels of denial? Also have you been able to find a road back to some manner of self acceptance? Maybe there are some of you who can happily employ some acting techniques to get them by in certain situations while still maintaining your identity?

Thanks
Has

Hello Has. Just a question. Does your family engage in a lot of protocol with your relatives? Protocol that might be hard for someone with ASD to go along with? I would assume that is the reason why one of your relatives would be dismissed or disowned as a "nutter" as you described.

Regarding the notion of "creating a persona", are you suggesting a full fledged NT personality, or an occasional social interaction technique to get by for a few minutes? "Creating a persona" itself is not necessarily difficult, but sustaining it is. In a nutshell, it is about endurance. Do you have the stamina to keep up an NT personality for how ever long you need to? With self training, with practice, you can even become good at keeping up an NT persona, to the point that you can benefit from it. However, remember that your original ASD personality is still there as well and has never really gone away.

The basic advantage of creating a bright or smiley NT persona is you give yourself another personality option to choose from, instead of just being stuck with the one ASD side that you had in the beginning. Having a choice, rather than no choice at all, to me is an advantage. But it takes practice, trial and error, tenacity, and yet more practice, to build up and consolidate that choice.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 2:38 am

MannyBoo wrote:
Hello Has. Just a question. Does your family engage in a lot of protocol with your relatives? Protocol that might be hard for someone with ASD to go along with? I would assume that is the reason why one of your relatives would be dismissed or disowned as a "nutter" as you described.

Regarding the notion of "creating a persona", are you suggesting a full fledged NT personality, or an occasional social interaction technique to get by for a few minutes? "Creating a persona" itself is not necessarily difficult, but sustaining it is. In a nutshell, it is about endurance. Do you have the stamina to keep up an NT personality for how ever long you need to? With self training, with practice, you can even become good at keeping up an NT persona, to the point that you can benefit from it. However, remember that your original ASD personality is still there as well and has never really gone away.

The basic advantage of creating a bright or smiley NT persona is you give yourself another personality option to choose from, instead of just being stuck with the one ASD side that you had in the beginning. Having a choice, rather than no choice at all, to me is an advantage. But it takes practice, trial and error, tenacity, and yet more practice, to build up and consolidate that choice.

...except that cloaking yourself in a temporary persona & acting your way through a social situation is an ASD trait & therefore a part of one's ASD personality vs. some detached separate concept they use to trick themselves into thinking they're no longer ASD.

But yes, there are advantages to being able to choose from a few different mindsets & personas in order to be a better chameleon on this wrong planet.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 2:59 am

physicsnut42 wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
I never consciously created a persona, but I adopted social roles based on a lot of observation and copying. I made myself say things that I never felt right saying. It never stopped me struggling, and being very passive sometimes you can get pulled along in the flow.

That's exactly what happened to me. When I was younger I was very stubborn, and voiced my opinions quite loudly, but not so much anymore. It's caused me to do many things I later regretted.

One thing with personas is, I don't think I started doing that until I was an adult out on my own. As a kid, I just tried to behave better. I don't think taking on personas happened until I was in my 20's. And they were always personas of older middle-aged men who seemed to have their act together so well. They were so polished.

I think the persona thing could be an act of laziness on my part as well.
Easier to imitate an agreeable persona than to create one. Hopefully I'm doing more of the latter these days.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 3:14 am

I'm fortunate in that a lot of people in my family are different. My grandfather was a classic "manic depressive" eccentric genius inventor. My grandmother was eccentric. I'm positive my mom was an aspie. My dad was kind of eccentric. My oldest brother was eccentric and probably as aspie too. My next older brother had learning disabilities. The only 100% "normal" one is my only sister. But her son has always had a score of both behavioral and psychical problems. A few of my cousins have or had issues of one kind or another. I'm the "worst of the bunch" but fortunately the bar isn't set too high :wink:

Has
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2013, 3:56 am

Has[/quote]

The basic advantage of creating a bright or smiley NT persona is you give yourself another personality option to choose from, instead of just being stuck with the one ASD side that you had in the beginning. Having a choice, rather than no choice at all, to me is an advantage. But it takes practice, trial and error, tenacity, and yet more practice, to build up and consolidate that choice.[/quote]

Hello Mannyboo,

It is not always overly formal, but there are certainly hierarchies that need to be observed, as well as a very close knit, group mentality. For example not wanting to go to a big family event is taken as a social statement, that requires a reaction. There is no room for individual preferences or differences if one wants to stay in the good graces of the majority of the group. I don't know all the details of my uncles case, but I suppose not wanting to maintain these formalities with family members was enough, to a large extent, for some to brand him as crazy. I know in my own experience, me expressing that I find certain events awkward or that I didn't know sections of the crowd (relationships are often based on association, whereby a good friend or old relation of my father's, for example, must hold a certain status where I am concerned, even if I had never met the person) make my immediate family immediately turn on me. In my eyes I'm expressing my preference, which I feel I have a right to do, and in their eyes I'm insulting some order of theirs that they hold very dear, which of course I can not get my head around.

While I feel a lot of the reactions to me simply being true to myself were overblown, I also acknowledge that for a period of about a year at age 15, I was extremely defiant, refused to go to school for several months and developed a me against the world attitude. I think I had reached my limit of "playing the game" and felt life under a social tyranny was not worth it. I've known since then that my cycle of accepting as much as I can followed by a period of breaking down and going crazy, on account of the cumulative sacrifices and resentments, was not sustainable. I also feel that while I strive to find a balance between what I can handle and what others demand, causing unnecessary offense or giving people the false impression that my actions are designed to hurt them are things that I want to avoid whenever possible. Acting almost became a way of showing contrition for some of my past behaviour and trying to compromise with people who I know do not mean to hurt me in spite of doing so unwittingly on so many occasions.

I feel I have built up a strong endurance for staying in character and have done so for months at a time on many occasions, usually followed by a bout of depression. As Goldfish21 mentions, it did reach the point where I questioned whether I was ASD or ever had been. I suppose I've come to the realisation that the more that is suppressed the greater the eventual breakdown will be. You say the original ASD personality never leaves, but I think with the power of denial or fear of getting back in to sanctimonious conflict with others, we can certainly obscure who we are, even internally. The acceptance of others is also an important factor, in that some of my relationships with friends and even my cousins take place completely in character. It's not a deep character, as I simply don't have the understanding or the inclination, and it is not considered completely normal by anybody (I've only had a handful of short, ill-fated relationships with women, have always struggled with employment, in crowds, in whole rafts of different social situations, with talking about personal matters that others share frequently, in showing an interest for doing new things or meeting new people, and even in understanding the level which people wish to relate at) but it is still a character. Quiet, self-effacing, willing to like what others like, talk about what they want to talk about and even go along with the crowd sometimes if it isn't too stressful. I guess it can become a meaningless life. I agree that making myself appear like a social being, with a few problems, rather than a completely non-social being has had it's advantages in being able to get along with people better, and I've learned not to be rude or to stand out, but ultimately the burden of having to reject oneself to feel safe in my surroundings is as hard if not harder than being rejected by others. I want to be able to be social enough to survive surface encounters that one has to go through, but rather than building or trying to maintain a character, give my ASD side enough expression and time that I don't lose myself in depression and self-loathing.

This is probably my longest out of character communication with the outside world since I was a child. It feels pretty good!

Has
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2013, 4:15 am

Greb wrote:
Moondust wrote:

Click where it says 'User Manual'

HINT It goes to this page: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-As ... ny+attwood

PS Though I would recommend this one that I really love http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Personal ... 1412922577

Thanks Greb, but coincidence I had just started reading the Tony Attwood book a few days ago.

I come from a similar family but I was never able to pretend enough to pass for normal, so they all disowned me. I think that having no family is so hard (I don't have a partner or friends either) that if you're able to feign enough to avoid being disowned, I'd do it. Even if you can never feel really close to them in your heart, other people noticing that you're alone without family puts you in a vulnerable/risky/dangerous position. This has been my experience as a woman alone of my age. Now if you have your own family, say spouse and kids, it'd be a much lower priority for me.

I'm very sorry to hear that Moondust. I have felt the fear of losing everyone during my rebellious teenage phase, and that made me overcompensate perhaps, in disowning myself. I hope there is a happy medium to be reached for all of us that need to walk that tightrope of getting by with those that don't understand us and being true to yourself/ accepting yourself to some degree, because as I was saying a complete act like I've put myself through can also make life seem not worth it.

tasbro
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2013, 7:48 am

I have always felt like I was putting on an act. To some degree, I even put on the act in front of friends and family. It wasn't until my mother told me she thought I had Aspergers that I realized I was never fooling my own family. Luckily my family was always supportive of my "quirks", and treated me the same as everyone else. I don't bother with the act in front of family anymore, but still tailor my persona depending on other social situations I find myself in.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

I know of people who invent a persona that is very often busy doing something that the family respects, and that way get lots and lots of slack cut. Of course being busy making money and/or fame is a great cop-out from family events.

But yes, I know about the family hierarchies that have to be respected, some idiot uncle that is the king and everyone has to live according to his and his wife's values and so on.

LunaOsa
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

I do in certain situations to fit in but my own personality slips out at times :P

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:52 am

Has wrote:
Hello Mannyboo,

It is not always overly formal, but there are certainly hierarchies that need to be observed, as well as a very close knit, group mentality. For example not wanting to go to a big family event is taken as a social statement, that requires a reaction. There is no room for individual preferences or differences if one wants to stay in the good graces of the majority of the group. I don't know all the details of my uncles case, but I suppose not wanting to maintain these formalities with family members was enough, to a large extent, for some to brand him as crazy. I know in my own experience, me expressing that I find certain events awkward or that I didn't know sections of the crowd (relationships are often based on association, whereby a good friend or old relation of my father's, for example, must hold a certain status where I am concerned, even if I had never met the person) make my immediate family immediately turn on me. In my eyes I'm expressing my preference, which I feel I have a right to do, and in their eyes I'm insulting some order of theirs that they hold very dear, which of course I can not get my head around.

While I feel a lot of the reactions to me simply being true to myself were overblown, I also acknowledge that for a period of about a year at age 15, I was extremely defiant, refused to go to school for several months and developed a me against the world attitude. I think I had reached my limit of "playing the game" and felt life under a social tyranny was not worth it. I've known since then that my cycle of accepting as much as I can followed by a period of breaking down and going crazy, on account of the cumulative sacrifices and resentments, was not sustainable. I also feel that while I strive to find a balance between what I can handle and what others demand, causing unnecessary offense or giving people the false impression that my actions are designed to hurt them are things that I want to avoid whenever possible. Acting almost became a way of showing contrition for some of my past behaviour and trying to compromise with people who I know do not mean to hurt me in spite of doing so unwittingly on so many occasions.

I feel I have built up a strong endurance for staying in character and have done so for months at a time on many occasions, usually followed by a bout of depression. As Goldfish21 mentions, it did reach the point where I questioned whether I was ASD or ever had been. I suppose I've come to the realisation that the more that is suppressed the greater the eventual breakdown will be. You say the original ASD personality never leaves, but I think with the power of denial or fear of getting back in to sanctimonious conflict with others, we can certainly obscure who we are, even internally. The acceptance of others is also an important factor, in that some of my relationships with friends and even my cousins take place completely in character. It's not a deep character, as I simply don't have the understanding or the inclination, and it is not considered completely normal by anybody (I've only had a handful of short, ill-fated relationships with women, have always struggled with employment, in crowds, in whole rafts of different social situations, with talking about personal matters that others share frequently, in showing an interest for doing new things or meeting new people, and even in understanding the level which people wish to relate at) but it is still a character. Quiet, self-effacing, willing to like what others like, talk about what they want to talk about and even go along with the crowd sometimes if it isn't too stressful. I guess it can become a meaningless life. I agree that making myself appear like a social being, with a few problems, rather than a completely non-social being has had it's advantages in being able to get along with people better, and I've learned not to be rude or to stand out, but ultimately the burden of having to reject oneself to feel safe in my surroundings is as hard if not harder than being rejected by others. I want to be able to be social enough to survive surface encounters that one has to go through, but rather than building or trying to maintain a character, give my ASD side enough expression and time that I don't lose myself in depression and self-loathing.

This is probably my longest out of character communication with the outside world since I was a child. It feels pretty good!

You mentioned you are Iranian? I know that traditional culture has certain "protocols" or repeated social behaviors or ways of speaking that are done during interactions with relatives, which might be difficult to follow if one is a Non-sociable character. The reaction of other relatives to a Non-sociable family member might be a form of ostracism, or simply dismiss them as "weird", and move on.

If or when you develop an NT persona, rather than think of it as a "Replacement", or exchanging one side for the other side, I prefer to think of it as an "Addition". In other words your original AS side is still definitely there, but you have now added a new extension, a new NT part to it, to cover it up or conceal it.. But the AS is still there completely, only being concealed temporarily by the NT side. Through self-training, and self-discipline you can even create a full-fledged NT genuine persona, which can be successful and becomes a true part of you and your life, but I believe it does not erase your original self.

However, I do not believe what some people say, that the NT persona you have created is just "fake" and not really you. Since you are also living your life, feeling pain or pleasure through an NT lens, learning and growing through an NT lens, how can it not be you? In fact I love my NT side. I want to keep it alive and well for my whole life. The NT side is really me. But the AS side is also really me. They are both really me. It might be odd to say, but sometimes I am glad I get depressed, because I know that it is only a matter of time before I feel wonderful again. And likewise, when I feel wonderful, I know it is only a matter of time before I get depressed again. We have both sides of the coin in our hands, flipping back and forth, till death do you part maybe?

The problem is balancing and negotiating with all the conflicting situations that can result from have 2 different versions that are both really me. The fact that both personas result in real suffering, or real benefits, means its a complicated set. It is a life-long balancing act that never stops. Every time you fall down, wether from your NT persona, or from your AS persona, you need to get back up again, as fast as you can. It can become tumultuous at times, but that is the vicious cycle that we have created for ourselves. It certainly makes our lives far more complicated, than if we were just always AS, or just always NT.

Making an NT personality for yourself is no easy task. It requires you to train yourself repeatedly for a long time, to do things that you naturally fear or hate. So you subject yourself to constant mental trauma intentionally. It is like masochism. You traumatize yourself for many months or years, so you can get used to doing NT behavior. Then once you have a set of NT behaviors, balancing, and flipping back and forth, between NT and AD is another new challenge. Our lives never get easy, but they can get interesting...