Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:30 pm

Do any of you like shows like "Hell's Kitchen," "Kitchen Nightmares," "Mystery Diners," and "Restaurant Stakeout"? I think I've seen practically every episode of each show.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

DarkRain wrote:
Do any of you like shows like "Hell's Kitchen," "Kitchen Nightmares," "Mystery Diners," and "Restaurant Stakeout"? I think I've seen practically every episode of each show.

I've seen some of the Kitchen Nightmares, Mystery Diners, and Restaurant Stakeout shows, but am unfamiliar with Hell's Kitchen. They certainly make me want to avoid restaurants.

Just a minor nitpick: I suspect that I'd categorize the three that I'm familiar with as restaurant shows, not food shows. Food shows would be shows like Good Eats or Two Fat Ladies.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

eric76 wrote:
DarkRain wrote:

I've seen some of the Kitchen Nightmares, Mystery Diners, and Restaurant Stakeout shows, but am unfamiliar with Hell's Kitchen. They certainly make me want to avoid restaurants.

Just a minor nitpick: I suspect that I'd categorize the three that I'm familiar with as restaurant shows, not food shows. Food shows would be shows like Good Eats or Two Fat Ladies.

Good point.

"Hell's Kitchen" is basically a cooking competition with Gordon Ramsay screaming in the contestants' faces every two minutes. It can get very interesting.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:02 pm

DarkRain wrote:
eric76 wrote:
DarkRain wrote:

Good point.

"Hell's Kitchen" is basically a cooking competition with Gordon Ramsay screaming in the contestants' faces every two minutes. It can get very interesting.

I think I may have seen part of one of Hell's Kitchen, then. I didn't know what it was called.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:27 pm

I look at Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares. It comes on right after The Big Bang Theory so they're hard to miss. With Kitchen Nightmares I google the restaurant on the show to see how they're currently doing and check their menus. The closest one to me, Yanni's Greek Restaurant, is about 3 miles away. I thought the prices at another featured restaurant, the Olde Hitching Post, was too expensive, though. The meals were averaging around $40 - $60. I like these restaurant shows but I could never handle Chef Ramsay's pressure.

On a lighter note, I also like watching cooking shows on the weekends. There was one show where a Vietnamese chef in NY showed how to slice and cook geoduck. They sell geoduck here in Seattle at Uwajimaya in the International District for $29.99 a pound. Since you'd have to buy the whole mollusk, and they average around 2 lbs, you'd be looking to spend about $60/geoduck. Way out of my pay grade.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:41 pm

I need to look online to see how some of the post-KN restaurants are doing.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:47 pm

I got really tired of Restaurant Nightmares and Kitchen Impossible. It generally seems like most of the same issues over and over again.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 4:52 pm

I do not like food related shows, because I always get hungry after watching them.

To me, a "food related show", is showing up at a restaurant to eat food.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 7:37 pm

Yeah, that's the bad thing about the restaurant shows. I always feel the need to snack while watching them.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

DarkRain wrote:

More-so than most similar "competition" shows, I don't get the appeal of these food competition shows. Unless you're watching to get recipe ideas, what's the point? I mean, on the Voice or American Idol, I can at least listen to the contestants and decide for myself if they suck, or not, and if I agree with the judges, or not. On Project Runway, I can look at the clothes and although I'm not in the fashion industry, I can decide if I like them, or not, and sometimes wonder about the judge's "expert" taste. On these cooking competition shows, I can only look at the food that is prepared, I can't taste it myself, and so I'm left with really very little way to stay engaged or to actively "participate".