Is a new semester stressful and tiring the first week?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Is the first week of a new semester always stressful?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
No 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Depends on all the factors, but usually yes 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Depends on all the factors, but usually no 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

It's a new semester where I go to learn, and I say it's a very awkward, and stressful time of the year, when semesters begin.

Where is my next class? Who's teaching? What is the subject? Will I get breaks? Luckily, my school only has 3 classrooms, 6 teachers, and 3 courses a period, and 3 choices per period. Of course, everyone gets to choose. It's like high school, but better!

Also the 15 minute breaks are awesome, and lunch is ALWAYS at 11:30-11:45.

But...What I want to ask is: Is it always this stressful?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 7:36 pm

I'd be surprised if it wasn't stressful. Sure there are strategies to minimize stress (like being prepared), but either way you look at it, you're learning a lot of new concepts and if you're like me, you don't pick up new stuff right away.

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2013, 7:37 pm

MDD123 wrote:
I'd be surprised if it wasn't stressful. Sure there are strategies to minimize stress (like being prepared), but either way you look at it, you're learning a lot of new concepts and if you're like me, you don't pick up new stuff right away.

I have never been able to get prepared for school, ever. And I have never picked up new stuff right away.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm

I was assigned a 120-page report on the first day of class and it was due 2 weeks from the start date. And we had an exam on the second day of class. Slightly stressful, I'd say.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

Hm, for me it is actually the semester fresh from holidays, where my expectations are the highest and I don't have any kind of projects or tests or other stuff to do, so first weeks are not a problem for me.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

I actually like my classes to start quickly as the first transition is stressful but transitioning from a slow start to harder work is another stressful transition that is slow and harder to make and then I will end up maybe not stduying enough. I have had first week exams rarely and sometimes first week homework.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2013, 11:18 am

Perhaps the first semester of first year when I'm trying to settle in with everything, and maybe a few others when I'm choosing courses, but otherwise it's not stressful cause the material is easy to start off with, and there's no assignments or midterms.

Kitutal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm

never had trouble the first week back, as long as I can find and keep track of my timetable, but the last week, when all the work is due in soon and I have to rush to keep up and struggle to ask for help from anyone, that's chaos