Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

polly6
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2007, 5:53 pm

Hello,
I am Patricia, 53, with a daughter 19 1/2, son 25. Our son has Asperger's & we have been working very hard to find the proper help for him. We are finally making progress but are still exhausted. In a month, we will receive a 30 page write up of a 3 wk evaluation that he just took through BVR. After that he will spend a month working on a job at the same place that he took the tests. This is necesary because even with a job coach, from BVR, he has lost 3 jobs, as soon as the job coach leaves. We are trying to find success for him. After the month of the special job that he will work with, intense one on one help, he will be trained for a job & get a job coach. We will have another job coach ready to take over when the BVR job coach has finished his time limit.

We are also now working with the Dept of Dev Dis in our county. They are helping us to get some more income for him, find a person who will help us to find an apt for him so he can move. He needs to move very badly. He isn't working well living with us anymore. We haven't been able to teach him how to keep his check book or how to save money & he only does his chores when he chooses to. We prevent arguments by keeping our mouths shut & letting him carry on a monologue. We will be interviewing a person to help him in 10 days, I think, with Aaron from Dev Dis. While we wait we are going to start looking for apts this weekend, just to get a start on where the affordable ones are located.

Aaron will also help us to find a counselor & a psychiatrist for Nate who has had some experience with Aspergers. Those working with him at the mental health center have had no experience. We also highly suspect that there are other conditions added to the Aspergers besieds those we already know which are ADHD & COD. He seems to need additional medication. We are also trying to get him to eat correctly & take some natural vitamins that we work with, but he is not easy to work with on these areas.

Well, thats our story. I may have to clarify things & will try as you ask questions. Patricia

alex
Developer
Developer

12 Jan 2007, 5:57 pm

Welcome. I was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD as a child first as well. (I assume you meant OCD not COD).

-alex 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 5:57 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

polly6
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2007, 6:00 pm

alex wrote:
Welcome. I was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD as a child first as well. (I assume you meant OCD not COD).

-alex 8)

Thank you. Actually Nate was diagnosed as an adult, age 18, which is why things are much more difficult

polly6
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2007, 6:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 6:36 pm

Welcome to WP ! !! We've got a lot of parents here.

Maybe you could encourage your son to join our forum???

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2007, 9:13 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 12:38 pm

A very warm welcome to WP. :)