Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Will future dystopias really look like how they do in science fiction such as the fith element or will humans never be able too too achieve that level of technology?

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

I cannot predict the future, but I think, based on a science fiction point of view, that monumental Neo-Brutalist type of architecture would look really cool! Sure the massive scale of the gigantic concrete bunker-looking buildings and Dystopian atmosphere can seem alien, and belittles the human experience, but it looks great for grand vistas and architectural panoramas. Personally, I think it would be hard to live a daily life in such a city, because it has no spaces of human intimacy and emotion, but it looks exotic and exciting to visit for a monumental holiday..

Brutalist Architecture & Science Fiction
8)

http://spotlessopinion.blogspot.jp/2012/12/brutal-brutalist-science-fiction-and.html

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

We will achieve this level of technlogy, the question is when - would a person from the Middle Ages ever believe what our world was going to look like, if we told them about this? I'd LOVE to live in Diaspar from Clarke's story :D I have a fantasy, in which I live on a desert planet like from "Dune", where people have their huge secluded mansions like on Solaria and mine looks like the one of Julie in Heavy Metal FAKK (the game) - such an oasis in desert :D

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

Some elements of sci-fi movies are simply impractical even if we did have all the technology. Flying cars for example, people drive crazy enough as it is on a flat plane, imagine if you throw in elevation to the mix! I highly doubt most people would be able to handle it effectively. And the prevalence of lasers kind of annoys me too!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

I'd love to see the world say 1000 years from now! I'm sure it will be unimaginably different from now. It's also possible that the world is completely destroyed by then.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 3:37 pm

I don't think it will ever be like that. I want my flying car that we were supposed to have by now, and I want to know why we all aren't wearing that silver jumpsuit uniform that everybody wore in movies that supposedly took place in "The Year Two Thousand!"

I think that the closest thing to what the future will really be like is "The Bicentennial Man" The story, not the movie although the movie is pretty good.

I also want my robot maid and dog "Astro" ;-)

Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 8:37 am

As long as future cities follow the example of Stockholm in being clean and environmentally friendly, I'd be content.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain