Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LunaOsa
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Hello. A few days ago my mom and dad were both trying to talk to me at once. I felt like I was a pinball in a pinball machine being hit back and forth repeatedly and rapidly as they both tried to talk to me. For some reason, the pinball visual fits. I don't know why. My mind just couldn't handle it. It was an overwhelming feeling and to be honest, I wanted to cry at that moment but I didn't. I put my hands over my ears and starting screaming and yelling in hope that they would stop. My mind also sort of blacked out a little and my reaction felt like a mini computer crash. Does this sound like a meltdown or something else? I have not been diagnosed with any sort of autism but I am trying to look into it because I have pretty much all of the symptoms. I'm not looking for a diagnosis of anything in this thread. I'd just like to know if anyone has experienced something like this and what psychological condition they have. I just felt like I had to explain my reasons for making this thread.

Leola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2013, 10:39 am

This sounds like it might be typical of autism, but I'm not an expert.

When I was a child, I was very sensitive to music and used to cover my ears and scream whenever sad music (or even if it sounded just a tiny bit sad) was playing. I would act this way until the music was turned off. I couldn't take it emotionally.

But I haven't been diagnosed with autism.

I can kind of relate to what you're saying about the pinball, though. I often get an overwhelmed feeling trying to keep up with several conversations/voices at once, or get a feeling like I am going to faint or pass out in a public place if I don't suddenly retreat by myself and recharge for a few minutes.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

I've experienced this a few times. When I was working, I was right beside the store's electronics department and the TVs had been turned up so loud that I just about flipped out. I've never really liked loud noises, from the time I was little until now.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:51 am

It's an overload.

I get it very often. It's typical for autism.

LunaOsa
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2013, 11:23 am

Thanks for the input everyone.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2013, 4:08 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome 10 years ago, and I have this problem fairly often. My husband and my son always seem to need to talk to me at once, and when they do, I can't listen to both of them and it makes me want to jab a screwdriver in both my ears. My husband can't seem to understand when I start stimming and demands to know what's wrong. My son is 8 and is old enough to know better than to interrupt but we are going to have to have him tested for Asperger's too so it gets complicated. But I can't stand it and it takes an hour at least for me to calm down afterward.

LunaOsa
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2013, 6:04 pm

EMTkid wrote:
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome 10 years ago, and I have this problem fairly often. My husband and my son always seem to need to talk to me at once, and when they do, I can't listen to both of them and it makes me want to jab a screwdriver in both my ears. My husband can't seem to understand when I start stimming and demands to know what's wrong. My son is 8 and is old enough to know better than to interrupt but we are going to have to have him tested for Asperger's too so it gets complicated. But I can't stand it and it takes an hour at least for me to calm down afterward.

Jabbing a screwdriver into my ears.. Such a perfect description for how I felt.

annn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

LunaOsa wrote:
EMTkid wrote:

Jabbing a screwdriver into my ears.. Such a perfect description for how I felt.

This was a helpful thread! Thank you everyone

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2013, 2:08 am

Story of my life. I wish everybody had a mute button. I have had more meltdowns that I can remember that if I was keeping a tab on how many I had with a single pen, then I would've ran of ink along time ago. I always keep my mp3 with me just in case I can't handle the noise. It helps from any future meltdowns.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Absolutely. The other day I was at work (in a restaurant, I was prepping) and I'm used to the sounds of the fans and beeping of the equipment-- Usually I'm pretty good but one of my managers likes to turn the music up very loud and the speaker is above my head... anyway, had that going, the equipment going and then (!) he brought a powerwasher inside to clean the floors. Pretty much imagine it if someone was running their motorcycle INSIDE. I nearly went out of my mind and had to go in the walk-in cooler to ' ... heh, cool off' and not explode. :)

It's sensory overload-- I want to say it's unique to autism spectrum disorders, but I could be wrong. In any case, I sympathize. :D

Gerb
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

yeah, totally. I can't stand it when more than one person is talking to me at the same time. Sure, I feel like closing my ears. Or my daughter is listening to music on her tablet and my husband is listening to something else on his ipad! (Ah, I just want to scream) Then one gerbil is spinning in his wheel, the other one is chewing cardboard! It's WAY TOO MUCH and I can't think!! !! ! but seriously, lately, I think the gerbils spend hours and hours spinning on the wheel just to mock me like, like they are saying, "we work out all night long and you can't even do 15 minutes of cardio you lazy bum!! !! !

I hate talking to people in groups, it's such an effort. You have to pay attention to everyone and it's impossible then sometimes your mind wanders and then you have no idea what's going on in the conversation because you missed part of it.

Or someone is talking to you and you are thinking about what you are going to say next and then you miss something they said, so now it's your turn to reply and you are not sure what to say cuz you know you missed something and maybe you will sound like an idiot if you say the wrong thing.

I just have Adult onset ADD though. I don't know if this is even an ADD issue, maybe everyone else is just like me. Whenever I say I do something thinking that I'm weird, everyone else says they are the same way too. Examples: I have terrible memory. Everyone says they have terrible memory too. Yesterday in Lab, I brought my own printed paper which has 4 circles with graphed lines so I could do my sketches of the mitotic cells and this guy is like, why are you using that paper, and I told him cuz I can't do sketches on a plain sheet of paper cuz it's too confusing and I just don't know where to draw and it's too disorganized and he's like, yeah me too!! !! !

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Adult onset ADD

Um, ADD is defined as childhood-onset. You can't have adult-onset ADD.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 2:12 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Adult onset ADD

Um, ADD is defined as childhood-onset. You can't have adult-onset ADD.

Seconded. Depression and anxiety as well as other mental health issues can cause ADD like symptoms starting in adulthood though.

Gerb
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2013, 2:37 am

Really??? That's what my psychiatrist said it was. He said it runs in the family since my younger brother had ADHD since childhood. He said i just got it later in life and prescribed adderal. I take 10 to 20 mg a day, it has helped me understand concepts better, i make less mistakes on exams and have a little more energy than before.