Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP3DNPDKxOM[/youtube]

I personally found pedalling very easy, but experienced a lot of problems with balancing, so learning these things separately made learning to cycle quick and easy for me.

After watching this video, my sister (who is more severely Autistic than myself) learned to cycle with relative ease in under one week.

If you've tried with other methods, such as stabilisers, and have given up, I implore you to try this method.

Hope it helps. :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

Another option is the 26" Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle--Schwinn also sells a three speed version, the Town and Country.

The Meridian can easily be purchased via Wal Mart, while you need to go to a specialty bike store to get the Town and Country.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/48627 ... -tricycle/
Tips on riding a tricycle.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Unless a cognitive or physical issue really stands in the way, I hope everyone who possibly can learns to ride a bike. Not only will you save gas and ozone, you'll work out while doing so and may even pick up some higher athletic disciplines. I learned when I was 3 or 4 years old, began mountain biking at 7 and dirt jumping pretty much ever since. I know from firsthand experience you don't even need two living feet to make a bike fly - so then why should my AS prevent me from shredding?

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 4:06 pm

Here's how the training wheels came off for me: I'd been riding a bike around with training wheels, then one day the wheels came loose and started flopping around, no longer able to do their job. I noticed I was balanced just fine still! That's when my mother removed them completely and I knew I could ride without them.

Another key point of balancing: it's easier the faster you're going. It may be tempting to try to stay balanced before you even start moving, but that's just flat-out impossible. I'm 28, learned to ride a bike at the "normal" age, and I can't do that! It won't really hurt any worse if you're going a few mph and fall, and balance will be possible! Do it on the grass so it hurts less if you fall - that will take some nerves off.

AQ: 33

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

I wouldn't even try again and don't have a bike to try on but hopefully that video will help some people.

As a kid I never even managed to stay balanced even with training wheels. I have poor balance.

dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2013, 2:30 am

Mountain biking is one of my all time favorite. things to do.

Horseback riding seems to be a popular alternative for ppl who can't ride a bike. If someone's main issue is peddling then a dirt bike is another alternative if they like biking as a sport.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2013, 2:10 pm

I had to stop biking, just way, way too many accidents that sent me to the ER from lack of balance or getting confused. I have zero problem driving a car, but for some reason I just can't manage a bike.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 4:49 pm

That is a good video. I had a hard time learning as a child but I wanted to learn so badly I just kept trying over and over and over until I had it.

An alternate safe and easy way to learn to ride is to learn how to coast while standing: stand over bike straddling the top tube with both feet on the ground. rotate the pedals so that the pedal on the right side is as close to the ground as possible. Now hold on to the handle bars and compress the brake levers. Place right foot on the pedal (the one positioned as close to ground as possible) and put a little bit of weight on it. The bike will remain stationary as you have the brakes engaged. Practice just balancing like this for a bit. Next step, release brakes and push off a little bit with the left foot. Put left foot back down on the ground to stop. Once comfortable with this, place your left foot on the pedal during the coast. And stop. And repeat. Once comfortable, try one single rotation of the pedals, then stop. And repeat.

Always start off on grass or dirt surface to keep the bike moving as slow as possible.

I like this method as the hardest part for me was learning to stay balanced when sitting on the seat. So i learned to bike in a standing position first. Then learned seated position later.

Also- learn on a single speed bike if possible. If it has gears, set it to a nice middle gear and don't touch them when you ride for a while. Worry about gears later.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 4:58 pm

What about those 3 wheeled adult tricycles? I saw one at a yard sale recently and was kind of interested but they wanted too much for it and I'd have no place to keep it. I don't see why I couldn't ride it though.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 9:03 am

I've heard that tricycles don't work too well on the edge of the roads in Florida--the roads are banked too heavily for trikes (the roads there are designed for lots of rain). But, in some places you can ride them on the sidewalks.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 11:14 pm

Why do they make the bike seats the way they do? Don't they realize that people have to sit on them? I just spent my afternoon with my bodyweight pressed against my pelvis. :evil:

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 4:47 am

girly_aspie wrote:
I had to stop biking, just way, way too many accidents that sent me to the ER from lack of balance or getting confused. I have zero problem driving a car, but for some reason I just can't manage a bike.

Funny, Might've been one of the practice vehicles I used with my learner's permit in high school (a tall truck), but I've found road bicycling MUCH easier than attempting to drive a motor vehicle.

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 1:18 pm

I was an avid biker when I was younger, but for the past five years I haven't been able to bike more than a few blocks because my knees and lower back are shot and really act up once I peddle. I lost 90 lbs and am 5'10" 180lbs and I continue to have those issues as I tried to ride recently.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

Great to see I'm not the only one having this problem; thought it was just me.

My deviant art profile

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

Saddle position can really affect cycling. For a starting point follow these directions.
(This is assuming that the bike is the right size for you in the first place.)

For the most efficient power transmission the height should be set so that with a pedal at the bottom your leg is straight with your heel on the pedal. When you are riding the ball of the foot should be on the pedal not the arch of the foot. With this height there will be a slight bend in the leg when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.

A saddle too high will produce joint pain at knees and hips. Some people with poor balance prefer a lower saddle but this reduces pedaling efficiency and makes cycling much harder work, so keep the saddle as high as possible within the limits shown above.

The saddle should be positioned so that the knee cap is over the center of the pedal when crank arm is pointing forward (pedal arm parallel to the ground). Too far forward or, worse, rearwards will produce knee pain.

Saddle should be horizontal or slightly nose down.

From this starting position you can make small adjustments to find a best fit. Try to only make one adjustment at a time if it is not an improvement then go back to your starting point.

If it is extremely uncomfortable, most standard bike saddles are, then change it. I'm afraid this is pretty much potluck. Some bike shops have loan saddle to try out, some Specialized stockists have body geometry system that will measure your sit bones of the pelvis and determine the best type of saddle. A decent shop should be willing to provide advice.

DigitalFist
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2013, 1:45 pm

I can throw a roundhouse kick and yet I can't bike around. Arrrgh, and I really want a a nice bike, too (convenience + exercise). I'm forcing myself to learn sometime this summer. It's a must for me.