Someone who once spoke normally becoming non-verbal?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

I don't mean temporarily, but an adult who always spoke before permanently becoming non-verbal. Does this occur for some people on the spectrum? Any idea what causes it? Is it a choice? Would you consider such a person truly non-verbal or not?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

Nah

One can be more overwhelmed and such, which can make a constant "shutdown" state, but that's different than actually lacking verbal intelligence.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:51 pm

I ask because I heard about someone who did this, and I don't know what to make of that.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:59 pm

I'm aware of 2 people with "autistic catatonia" who became non-verbal (or verbalizing became not-worth-the-effort-for-the-benefit for them) after being verbal earlier in life. They also apparently have trouble walking and such, so it seems to be part of something that's fairly severe.

It doesn't seem very common, though, but that's only how it seems to me rather than a studied fact.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 6:02 pm

Haven't read it happening in any text; haven't specifically looked for it though. Nothing in the standard literature mentions it anyway.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Apr 2013, 6:07 pm

You'd need to look up information about autistic catatonia and movement disorders to find informtion on it. This is a topic that is not really addressed directly in relation to autism. Yes, it can happen, although I do not know how common it is.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 7:40 pm

I wouldn't consider this person to be non-verbal unless this person also lost other verbal skills besides speaking and also understanding of the concept of verbal communication in general.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:39 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I wouldn't consider this person to be non-verbal unless this person also lost other verbal skills besides speaking and also understanding of the concept of verbal communication in general.

I don't know, there are people who have always been non-verbal, but none the less at some point got in front of a keyboard and typed proper sentences, i.e. the 2 guys in "Wretches & Jabberers."

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

If only 2 people have been reported doing this then I have to beleave its not autism(or autism alone) making them do it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:47 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

I don't know, there are people who have always been non-verbal, but none the less at some point got in front of a keyboard and typed proper sentences, i.e. the 2 guys in "Wretches & Jabberers."

They learned to use language for communication, but they don't speak or don't speak much due to other issues like apraxia. They are not non-verbal in the way that many non-verbal autistic children lack language for communication and also lack communication in general. They are verbal and non-speaking.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:00 pm

I think Amanda Baggs became non-verbal as a result of harmful drugs being prescribed to her by the shrink for her misdiagnosed schizophrenia.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:08 pm

Seems like being mute would be down on the list of problems in regards to catatonia (not being able to really do anything at all would be one of the big ones).