inanimate objects -- and not so inanimate ones

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2013, 8:39 am

It took some time to identify what "objects" I tend to fixate on and identify with. It seems obvious in retrospect, if only because the objects aren't "inanimate" in the true sense. They're just non-motile. I identify with plants and trees, some animals to a lesser extent (yes, even a few motile ones). Every morning I go outside and spend time with the garden and yard, which has dozens of things I've planted. I've done this for a decade now. It's relaxing and invigorating for some reason.

What sorts of things, inanimate, or not, do other people fixate on?

Last edited by abyssquick on 05 Apr 2013, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2013, 8:42 am

planes, wheels, etc. like rocks (who does not)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 8:55 am

My obsessions center around fictional characters or people and in the past non-human animals ( great apes at one point, marine life and octopi at another). SO my obsessions have always been with animate, motile beings.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:07 am

abyssquick wrote:
It took some time to identify what "objects" I tend to fixate on and identify with. It seems obvious in retrospect, if only because the objects aren't "inanimate" in the true sense. They're just non-motile. I identify with plants and trees, some animals to a lesser extent (yes, even a few motile ones). Every morning I go outside and spend time with the garden and yard, which has dozens of things I've planted. I've done this for a decade now. It's relaxing and invigorating for some reason.

Some people have fixations with people, when i was young i did. Normally i do have objects that aren't alive that i fixate on or collect.
However when i was young there were times it was people. I had a mentor who was like a second mother to me that i was obsessed with (as in looked up to) for a very long time.

Animals, plants, trees are wonderful. Gardening is very rewarding, they are all alive and if you love them it helps them grow.

Mostly i've gone through phases of inanimate objects being my interests; bmx bikes, skateboards (have a room full), video games, model cars, milagros. I collect a lot...

My gf does a lot of gardening. I am working on reviving Venus Fly Traps and have cloned from a bud off the rhizome so i have a lil special bugger that is starting to grow! I'm very excited for it, the local store almost killed the poor things by using the wrong water on them, they like only the distilled or rain water.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2013, 9:19 am

Chloe33 wrote:
I am working on reviving Venus Fly Traps and have cloned from a bud off the rhizome so i have a lil special bugger that is starting to grow! I'm very excited for it, the local store almost killed the poor things by using the wrong water on them, they like only the distilled or rain water.

Carnivorous plants are very interesting. My fiance and I made a bog garden last year, and have 5 kinds of pitcher plants (sarracenia sp.) and are hoping to get a few of the native sundews (drosera) this year. They are so fascinating. We also acquired cobra lily seeds at a carnivorous plant show (darlingtonia californica) to try as a houseplant...

Yes, they really only like rainwater or distilled water. To my surprise they don't respond to foliar fertilizers much (soluble seaweed, humic acid) either. Independent buggers.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:19 am

When I peel and cut fruits to eat, I sometimes feel a little bad for throwing the seeds away because the plants produced them so they can reproduce. If I just eat and throw away the seeds, I might be just using and exploiting the plants. I feel I should return the favor and help them reproduce. Sounds crazy, but this idea sometimes crosses my mind. I don't like gardening, but I like plants.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

jk1 wrote:
When I peel and cut fruits to eat, I sometimes feel a little bad for throwing the seeds away because the plants produced them so they can reproduce. If I just eat and throw away the seeds, I might be just using and exploiting the plants. I feel I should return the favor and help them reproduce. Sounds crazy, but this idea sometimes crosses my mind. I don't like gardening, but I like plants.

I have this exact same feeling! I hate discarding viable seeds.

I visited a tropical place for the first time this past summer. I ate the native fruit daily, and I carried the seeds around with me. Since I'm familiar with ideal conditions for each fruit species (mamey sapote, guanabana, chico sapote, guava) I would plant them in ideal, opportune places where I knew they would grow well. I'm responsible for a few dozen trees in the Yucatan of Mexico.

I also harvest/buy rare species' seeds and distribute them in places where they are endangered, for the purpose of helping the population.

Anyhow, don't ignore that impulse, put it to good use!

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:31 am

jk1 wrote:

Then don't throw them away. Throw them on your lawn and if the rain doesn't wash them someplace where they can sprout, various animals will eat them or carry them away.

AnnaShadows
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2013, 10:15 am

I have always had a preference for inanimate objects and non-human life. Even as a kid I remember saying to my mom "there's enough people out there who care about people, I like to help things that can't defend themselves." I was basically raised by a herd of Belgian work horses, lol. I spent every free minute I had as a kid (until about 16 when I moved away) with them. To this day the place where I feel most safe to be myself is amongst a group of herd animals, especially horses. I have a horse of my own and spend as much time as possible in the pasture where he is boarded with about 10 other guys. They treat me as one of their own, I have a place in the hierarchy and a role in the herd. It is what keeps me as close to sane as I am, lol. I love plants, especially trees, but I'm not big into gardening, I don't really like the aspect of control and selecting which plants should live and which shouldn't. I could sit and watch ants for hours. I don't like to interfere with nature, why mess up the only place I feel I belong.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

abyssquick wrote:
jk1 wrote:

I have this exact same feeling! I hate discarding viable seeds.

I visited a tropical place for the first time this past summer. I ate the native fruit daily, and I carried the seeds around with me. Since I'm familiar with ideal conditions for each fruit species (mamey sapote, guanabana, chico sapote, guava) I would plant them in ideal, opportune places where I knew they would grow well. I'm responsible for a few dozen trees in the Yucatan of Mexico.

I also harvest/buy rare species' seeds and distribute them in places where they are endangered, for the purpose of helping the population.

Anyhow, don't ignore that impulse, put it to good use!

I'm glad someone else feels the same!!

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

abyssquick wrote:

When I was a kid I would fixate on a doll's eyes (specifically the eyes that open and close when you tilt the doll). I could just do this over and over, it was mesmerizing.

I fixated on very soft furry stuffed animals. I would rub and rub them, especially loving the feeling all over my face.

I also fixated on smooth shiny objects with rounded corners. Looking at them made me tingle all over.

When I finally got a small transistor radio of my own, I kept opening and closing the antenna until it finally broke off accidentally. I think this happened the first day I got it LOL

As an adult I don't fixate on those sorts of things anymore.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

I don't know what other people do, but I know my thing is machines, especially lathes. I can work with them and watch things being turned all day, but my employer only gives me 8 to 10 Hours.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
My obsessions center around fictional characters or people and in the past non-human animals ( great apes at one point, marine life and octopi at another). SO my obsessions have always been with animate, motile beings.

I fixate on fictional characters too, though I do like to acquire merchandise in their likeness so in a way my obsession encompasses both motile beings and inanimate objects.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:04 am

IdahoRose wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

I fixate on fictional characters too, though I do like to acquire merchandise in their likeness so in a way my obsession encompasses both motile beings and inanimate objects.

I collect two kinds of things, books and stuffed animals. I do enjoy the physical objects...I like owning and arranging the books not just reading them but buy them ultimately because the characters and the stories about them that I love.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

I'm pretty much the same way...if I really like a particular character, I like having a plush or some kind of toy based on the character, cuz that way, it's kind of having the character with me in real life. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes