Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 12:12 am

I'm a very unmotivated person when it comes to college/working, and all that, and I just want to retire. The only way I could see myself retiring is if I buy houses, and rent them out to people, while the market is still low. So I need money, and I am trying to come up with ways to do this. I already bought a 2200 square house, but that's my home right now while I'm repairing it (and my back up shelter too). I know I will be in my state for 1 year, but after that I'm heading to California to pursue my dreams like acting.

But I need a survival job in case the worse happens to me, and I have no interest in a career... I only need 10 k a yr to live an awesome life. 5k will give me the basics.

do you think it would be wiser for me to study in college for nursing, or just go into cosmetology school. To be honest, I'll probably be better at being a cosmetologist, as far as my talents go, and definitely less bored. I plan on doing neither for a while, or just as side gig to keep my skills fresh. But nursing has higher pay.

Thanks in advance,

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 1:20 am

How are you paying your mortgage right now?

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
How are you paying your mortgage right now?

I bought the house in whole with my savings.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 1:13 am

Well unless you have some form of additional financial support, it is essentially impossible to live on 10k a year (in the US at least, in some other countries things are cheaper). I live in one of the cheapest locations in the country. And here, the cheapest places to live go for $450 a month. Add in $200 a month for food, $100 for electricity/internet/phone, and that's $750 a month (those are pretty frugal prices too, you'd have to cut out a lot). Then, that leaves $1000 a year for car notes/insurance, health/dental insurance or problems, fun, and emergencies. And that money goes pretty darn fast lol. Assuming you're paying $80 a month in car insurance, that leaves absolutely $0 for fun or emergencies.

I think that the majority of people would retire if they could, but the fact is not many people can until they're in their 60s or older. I think that nursing would be a good field to get into because it's a great job, good pay, high demand, and very stable. Cosmetology on the other hand, you'll basically end up cutting hair for a living at little above minimum wage, if you can get a job at all. Sure it's possible you may end up with a better situation but it's doubtful, there just isn't a demand for it. Same with acting, unless you are REALLY...and I mean REALLY darn good it's more of a hobby than something you can do to support yourself.

House flipping can be profitable, but you have to really know what you're doing, and have the funds behind you to handle a loss if it happens. It can pay off, but it is a notoriously risky business that often ends up costing people more than they invest in it.

I apologize if I was harsh, but I just want you to realize that some of the things you mentioned sound unrealistic and idealistic, and it's always better to find out sooner rather than later when it may be too late.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 9:00 am

If your going to be in the house for a year, have you saved for property taxes?

If you own your house outright, it will help a lot, but I still feel like living on 5,000 a year is going to be a lot harder than you think.

Home improvement is also expensive. When I bought a house, I paid 1,400 just to get the electric upgraded. Remodeling a room will cost at least 1-2 thousand, more if you can't do it yourself.

CrisSyPee
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

I definately believe in accomplishing something that's important to you...But let me just say that I don't know how 10k a year is enough for you? But, I would definately recommand something productive and efficent right now...I know, myself, that it is tough to just simply get by...especially when you're completely unmotivated. I think you need to be realistic with your future. You need something concrete!