Do you think in pictures? words? both?....an experiment.

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ker08
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2013, 3:38 pm

I suppose I think in pictures. Family member s face, I see my father laughing. Math problem? It looks like a 3d giant flash card. Spell a word? Looks like one of those 3d flying word art. How to give directions? I see myself going down that road like I was driving. I'm a visual cue driver and can't tell you the road name unless it's mine. I'm horrible at giving directions because I'm just like go left then right then left and you're there.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 3:47 pm

- a family member's face

I don't see their whole face at once. Usually I see their smile or their hair and the rest of the face is vague and I hear their voice. Sometimes the whole face is vague and I mainly hear their voice. My father is an exception, I see mostly his eyes.

- a math problem

I see the numbers and hear the spoken problem or I see it as a situation involving objects.

- how to spell a difficult word

I use a spell check.

- what love is

Familiarity. Though the first thing that came to mind was the word "lOVE" in bold letters.

- how to give directions to a place nearby

Imagine myself going there. Then point and say "that way".

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm

- a family member's face

I can see their nose, hair, and eyes. If they get a haircut/shave I sometimes don't immediately recognize them.

- a math problem

Depends on the problem, different formulas have different visuals, some problems would be just a big "?" or partially filled in spots with known formulas.

The word appears as it does in text, usually with a visual of the definition, as do word parts when trying to analyze a word I'm not familiar with.

- what love is

No visual really, pretty much just a warm/fuzzy feeling. Hate/Dislike however would be two cold magnets repulsing one another. Love for my wife was particularly hard to decode, but since it was like being with myself, a reflection best suits that type of connection.

I don't remember names of many things, including streets I do not travel on, so I pass on verbal directions. I can however draw a map because I can see it as a 3-d image or imagine walking/riding down the roads.

I've noticed I'm much better at recognizing people by voice than by face, and I've learned to associate a name to that voice. On the whole though, I don't recall names of people/places/things unless they interest me or are important to my job. I didn't know who Michael Jordan was till he was on "Space Jam", and I can't tell you the names of many celebrities in general. Most chit-chat I encounter is on sports/movies, etc. so this is a big void that I have no interest in.

Math in general is a big "?" outside of problems I've memorized (such as 9-5=4, no calculation goes on, just recall). I had a hard time giving change till I memorized the amounts as coins and combinations of coins ($.40 is one big [.25], one medium [.05], and one small [.10] preferably). I believe I may have dyscalculia, so I'm not sure if I can function in math at a higher level, such as algorithms and advanced geometry (advanced origami design tools), which I would desperately like to understand. I barely got by in High School with D's and F's, mostly due to not showing my work properly on homework, and I usually did well on tests unless we studied some piece of math that I couldn't grasp.

I suspect ASD, but have yet to be formally diagnosed.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm

I think in none of the above.
However, if I want to, I can visualise (or audialise, or tactilise, or any of the senses) anything I want.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

AS.

- a family member's face
I pictured my dad. I can see his face but only the middle (cheekbones, bridge of nose, eyes) is in focus, and it keeps flickering between images of him at different ages from 30-60.

- a math problem
A bar graph with different colored bars which then move around, stack on top of each other, etc.

I see the word as printed on a cream-colored page in a large, black serif font. My "point of view" pans across it.

- what love is
Feel a warm feeling and see a yellowish glow.

See "clips" of what I'd see while walking there, turning corners, landmarks, etc.

Pyxis
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2013, 2:07 pm

Everyone's answers are so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 7:30 pm

Quote:
- a family member's face

A visual image of their face. It's blurry, except for a little focus spot that I can move around to see each individual detail.

Quote:
- a math problem

The words 'math problem' bring up a visual image of what my work pages in school looked like.

But if I think of, say 25 + 43, I see a flickering number line while I talk myself through the problem. (Answer = 68)

Quote:

I see the word written out.

Quote:
- what love is

I feel a strong feeling of love, which is completely non-sensory.

Quote:

I see the place, and then get a flurry of images of the path there.

Oh, and by the way, I'm officially diagnosed with PDD NOS.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 8:54 pm

I think mostly in pictures,some words and I can remember smells like I am smelling them,and I usually have some form of music stuck in my head.

I can see a family members face but have trouble with people I don't know well.

I have trouble with math,when I see the numbers they sort of float off and I can't remember them,I'm terrible at math.

I see the word written in my head if I'm trying to spell it.

Love,I just feel it and can't explain it at all.

I see a visual of directions,I'm good with maps.

I was told by a psychologist that worked with Autistics that he thought I was HFA.My psychiatrist would like me to do some tests,but it's a three hour drive and my insurance may not cover it.He says he has noticed autistic traits.

Flowers
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Pyxis wrote:

Close your eyes and think of the following....what do you see/hear in your mind?

- a family member's face

Pictured him and feeling how he makes me feel while I was thinking his name

Quote:
- a math problem

Picture of the numbers written out in bold

Quote:

Thought of a word and then saw it spelled out in images

Quote:
- what love is

I saw a heart then mostly had feelings and felt like I had to make a real effort to think of words

Quote:

I picture how to get there as if I'm driving

NT Fem- I think though I may have seen the heart because I was thinking about picturing everything due to the question itself. I do normally see letters individually as if they are colored refrigerator magnets so I think I see pictures while I'm thinking, usually. Maybe not on feelings tho such as love.

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2013, 1:43 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
However, if I want to, I can visualise (or audialise, or tactilise, or any of the senses) anything I want.

Mostly the same here; when I think about these things, a family member for example, I do not see their face or hear their voice, I just imagine the idea of them. The only time I hear words is when I am either reading or "scripting". I can however hear, taste, feel, or smell whatever I wish quite vividly. I even have a quite keen ability to think spatially, though I struggle to actually visualize with only a few exceptions, I don't really ever see anything in my mind.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 2:59 am

Who_Am_I wrote:

Faces too?

I´d be interested into the answer, because I think I visualize really good, so I have no problem with coordinizing a half dozen larger building sites as an 3-dimensional building in my head, I even can move inside and walk around and view them from inside, or turn them as I need, but goddamn I cant visualize a simple face, not even that from my partner that I know for 13 years?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 9:43 am

I thought for the longest time that everyone thought mostly in pictures,when I found out some people didn't it confused me.How do they think?
I thought everyone could visualize the inside of a building and mentally walk around in it,and even smell it and mentally hear the sounds that would be happening.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:00 am

Both, but mainly words.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

helles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

No pictures, at all, whatsoever. Black

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 4:05 pm

Pyxis wrote:
Close your eyes and think of the following....what do you see/hear in your mind?
- a family member's face
- a math problem
- what love is
Share your answers if you like...and if possible state if you are AS (self diagnosed included) or NT.

I have AS (diagnosed) and I think primarily in images. Sometimes I think in audible words (I hear them in my head, not that I speak them, but I do not see the written form of the word in my head).

When I think of a family member's face I see the out line of their head, the shape and color of their hair, and their skin color. If I focus real hard I can get vague impressions of their eyes and nose but nothing definite.

When I think of a math problem, I see the numbers written out on paper, and perhaps the pertinent graph to match. When I do the problem in my head I mentally write out what I would on paper, carrying ones, crossing out numbers, drawing arrows, etc.

When I am thinking of how to spell a difficult word (or any word) I do NOT see the letters, I hear it sounded out in my head. This means that I am horrible at spelling. This is made worse because I do not always pronounce words correctly. Spell check is my best friend.

When I think of what love is, I think of passages of books (especially the Bible) on descriptions of love and it's obligations. This is helped because I see love as an action more than a feeling. I also see out what would be like silent film clips of a person helping another person.

When I think of giving directions I see in my head what looks like a google maps image, including highlighted route (in blue), but I also have alternate routes highlighted (in yellow) and glowing green dots on places that I have visual snap shot images of that I should see on the way to help place me where I am. All the streets are labeled including the surrounding streets that I do not need to get on.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

A Family member- moms face appears.

Math problem- A problem Ive been toying with-comparing the amount of masonry in the pyramids with that of the Great Wall of China. Imagine a giant's hands coming down and scooping up the great wall-and then reshaping it as pyramid standing next to the Egyptian great pyramid.

Spelling a difficult word: I usually try (without success often) to visualize different ways to spell it until one way 'looks right".

Love:- non visual- a warm feeling coming out of the center of my body.

Direction: Visualize a map of the streets in question. Imagine the person's car moving down the streets.

So I guess Im rather visual.

A disgnosed aspie.