Abused women more likely to have an autistic child

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2013, 6:26 am

I don't know if this has already been posted. I couldn't find it on this forum.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 212818.htm

Apparently, researchers have found that women who were abused as children are more likely to give birth to an autistic child than women who have not been abused. What are your thoughts? It seems a bit odd to me.

I wonder if they tested the mothers for autism.
A child with autism could well be more at risk of being abused than non-autistic kids.
So autistic women are more likely to have been abused as a child, and also more likely to give birth to an autistic child.
Not saying that is the case, or that is what explains these findings, but it is a possibility and it should be considered.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 7:09 am

I think it's nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I think that any prevention of abuse is a good thing but I don't think there's any evidence for a link with autism. The article doesn't even explain why the authors think that there might be a link.

helles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 7:17 am

Cinnamon wrote:

Apparently, researchers have found that women who were abused as children are more likely to give birth to an autistic child than women who have not been abused. What are your thoughts? It seems a bit odd to me.

A child with autism could well be more at risk of being abused than non-autistic kids.
So autistic women are more likely to have been abused as a child, and also more likely to give birth to an autistic child.
Not saying that is the case, or that is what explains these findings, but it is a possibility and it should be considered.

Sounds stupid
I agree with your observations that sounds much more plausible.

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2013, 7:22 am

Jono wrote:
I think it's nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I think that any prevention of abuse is a good thing but I don't think there's any evidence for a link with autism. The article doesn't even explain why the authors think that there might be a link.

Well, indeed the article doesn't explain why the researchers thought of doing this research in the first place. It does quite clearly state their findings though:

"women in the top 25% of abuse severity -- which included mostly women who experienced more moderate levels of abuse -- were 60% more likely to have a child with autism compared with women who did not experience abuse"

Now 60 percent is a terribly high percentage, so I do find it very hard to believe that that could be true... surely they must have made some sort of error?

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 8:32 am

helles wrote:
Cinnamon wrote:

Sounds stupid
I agree with your observations that sounds much more plausible.

that is the thought I had when reading the title? I think more research should be done on genetic/environmental before things of this nature can be takin with any validity.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

This is just a wild suggestion that is probably wrong, but if it turns out that there exists a link to low maternal Vitamin D levels as is being investigated, perhaps women who were abused as children are less likely to spend time in the sun and thus have poor levels of Vitamin D unless they take supplements. It would be interesting to see if and how this varies by latitude.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

I think that a lot of women who were abused were on the autism/asperger's spectrum themselves. Their children just inheret their DNA.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:24 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
I think that a lot of women who were abused were on the autism/asperger's spectrum themselves. Their children just inheret their DNA.

This, pretty much.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

RightGalaxy wrote:

Good point.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 12:11 am

That has horrible implications. Humans are less likely to LOVE their offspring for having spectrum behaviors. How hated IS this autism?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 2:38 am

By today's standards, my Mom would have been considered an abused child. Though she had lived and died without ever being diagnosed, I think she was autistic, same as me and my daughter. I agree, autistic children are more likely to be abused, and then grow up to possibly be in abusive relationships, because autistics are perceived as easier to victimize.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
That has horrible implications. Humans are less likely to LOVE their offspring for having spectrum behaviors. How hated IS this autism?

My grand nephew Devon is a full bore autistic person. He stopped talking when he was about two years old. His parents, my niece Miriam and her husband Mike are loving parents. No parents I know ever cared for for their child then these two.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 9:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

My grand nephew Devon is a full bore autistic person. He stopped talking when he was about two years old. His parents, my niece Miriam and her husband Mike are loving parents. No parents I know ever cared for for their child then these two.

ruveyn

God bless your niece and her husband.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 8:46 pm

I think there might be some connection, although not necessarily that being abused causes women to have autistic kids.

My parents were very abusive to me. Locked me in bathrooms, had me kneel on tile for hours and beat me with a belt if I cried or tried to sit because my knees hurt so much, threw me against a concrete wall once, my mother would take me to a kid's home and then tell me that she was visiting it because she planned to leave me there...all this before I was in 3rd grade. These were just some of the things these two crazies did. Neither my sister or brother had this done to them. Needless to say, I am the only one with an autistic child.

My uncle was also very abused when he was little by my grandparents. There is no doubt he was never diagnosed, but I am 100% sure that he is autistic. I do believe some of his kids, even a boy he did not raise or saw since he was about 3 now has an autistic son and he too believes he is as autistic as his son.

So I really there is a connection, although not necessarily that it is caused by abuse...but who knows.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:

Fair point.

Though I wonder if epigenetics might be involved somehow.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 10:14 pm

Cinnamon wrote:
What are your thoughts?

It is one article in a pop-science magazine. It is not a well-thought out research paper in a peer-review journal.

I'll have to read the original study in the JAMA Psychiatry Journal before I could draw any conclusions. Even then, a peer-review may falsify the conclusions.

Quote:
Adverse perinatal circumstances have been associated with increased risk for autism in offspring. Women exposed to childhood abuse experience more adverse perinatal circumstances than women unexposed, but whether maternal abuse is associated with autism in offspring is unknown.

Association ~ Correlation, neither of which prove a causal link.

Remember, the abuse of the mother occurred during her childhood, likely years before she became pregnant. Saying that her childhood abuse "caused" her child's autism is like saying that a child is born legless because the mother had both legs broken when she was a child.

Someone is fishing for more research grant money, that's all.