What did/do you enjoy more, childhood or adulthood?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

What did/do you enjoy more, your childhood or your adulthood?
I enjoy my adulthood far more than I enjoyed my childhood 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
I enjoy my adulthood more than I enjoyed my childhood 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
I enjoy my adulthood about the same as I enjoyed my childhood 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
I enjoy my adulthood less than I enjoyed my childhood 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
I enjoy my adulthood far less than I enjoyed my childhood 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 72

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm

My childhood and adulthood just sort of flow together ... both time periods have their good and bad aspects, for me.

Love transcends all.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2013, 3:09 am

Childhood was continual bliss interrupted by minor occasional bouts of turmoil.

Adulthood has been continual turmoil mixed with occasional bliss.

Having less freedom was always more liberating for me...

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 4:36 am

There's a difference between the two?

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Hands-down, there is no question whatsoever that I enjoy my life now in my 40s, more than ever ever before. So many reasons that I won't burden the thread with them all, but key factors would be that as a formally diagnosed Aspie, I now understand myself whereas I didn't as a child, and I always felt weird or misunderstood, or just wrong. Further, I felt unneeded and useless as a child, and had no interest in playing with other kids. From age 8 or 9, all I wanted to do was to work with electronics and mechanical things... For hours by myself, and that was "abnormal", and I was made to feel guilty for wanting to do those things. What a total clusterf**k!

Today, I am happily married, have a great life, great, rewarding career (self-employed), and looking forward to an early retirement. I live in a place where I don't have to deal with neighbors, and I can enjoy my special interests in spare time... What more can a man ask for?

Charles

nightflight575
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

I enjoy my adulthood less than I enjoyed my childhood

Even though I did get bullied a lot as a child, I loved spending time with my grandparents and focusing on all of my interests. I felt so safe at home. I was lucky to have a very understanding family.
I don't have my grandparents now, and lots of things have changed. I'm glad I'm away from school, and the people who would hurt me there, but I also feel very lost. I don't fit in anywhere I go, and I can't even relate to my close friends sometimes. I don't want a relationship, I'm sick of people making friends with me and trying to take advantage, even when I make it clear I want nothing to do with them (romantically or sexually, I mean) and I hate being asked questions by my family members, and having some of them try and push me to meet people, or do things to challenge myself. I hate what's expected of me and how society responds when I don't do those things. When I was younger, I didn't feel that pressure so much to fit in with society. Now it's obvious that I seem different in those ways to everyone, and it makes me feel uncomfortable and out of touch.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 7:30 pm

It's uplifting to see - from the poll - that most people in here actually enjoy their adult life more...

Dazzlious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2013, 10:28 pm

Periods from both childhood and adulthood. There are times, varying in duration, that stand out amongst all memories and ways of being. Childhood had the advantage of abandon but adult has the advantage of adult. It's a toss up. As a child I longer for the freedom and benefits of whatever "adult" means, and as an adult relinquishing those perks doesn't come to mind when revisiting childhood. So... will weigh in with a solid here and now. The moments we create every day where we are with each other, friends, family, lovers, strangers, alone in our minds and amongst each other.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 1:21 am

"I enjoy my adulthood far less than I enjoyed my childhood"

My depression started at age 14 and that sucks.