If Autism/Aspergers Were a Music Genre...

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2013, 7:17 pm

What genre would you say be a perfect fit?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 7:50 pm

Well, let's see.
1. Aspies are often considered odd, so music that is considered odd (as in timing) could be jazz or prog rock.
2. Aspies are not mainstream, so music not considered mainstream would be sub-genres such as grindcore, punk jazz, Djent, darkwave or 2 tone.
3. Some aspies do transcend their "disability" and rise to the top of their class. Musically, a parallel could be David Bowie, Bjork or David Byrne of the Talking Heads.
4. Aspies come in all flavours - white, black, Asian, gay, comorbids, etc. A similar musical chameleon could be David Bowie, Blondie, Talking Heads, The Clash or other bands that mix genres.
5. Being that aspies amount to about 1 in every 100 person, a similar musical correlation would be 1 in 100 persons are into it, something like electronica, electroclash, medieval folk rock or gypsy punk.

So you have a multi-racial, multi-national, multi-generational, multi-genre left-of-center band that's achieved popularity even though just really admired by a few. My vote? David Bowie followed closely by Blondie, The Clash and the Talking Heads.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2013, 7:52 pm

Novelty/comedy music. I like listening to Doctor Demento CDs because they sound like what's running through my mind at any given moment. Just totally random weird songs about Star Trek, fish heads, dead puppies, urban spacemen, all the elements in the periodic table, blowing raspberries in Adolf Hitler's face, booting people in the head, and road trips to the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota :P

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Apr 2013, 8:20 pm

Avant garde.

Seemingly freaky, widely misunderstood, not entirely sure what it is doing, and widely advocated for by Yoko Ono.

Mahler7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2013, 9:59 pm

I would have to say Aspergers is Beethoven.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

Classic Rock, Classical, Punk and Futuristic.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm

The way I think of it, music genes suit each person differently, and of course it's going to be a mostly different answer from everyone. Music and Autism are both diverse and unique.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 1:20 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Avant garde.

....and widely advocated for by Yoko Ono.

Lol.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Koblih
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Aspies often like patterns (in visual arts mostly, but I think it can be applied to music as well) so for me it would be long songs without the classic verse/chorus arrangement, simple themes, somehow floating, repeating, not demanding a lot of attention - but still have to say that there isn´t something like an autistic taste

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

redrobin62 wrote:
Well, let's see.
1. Aspies are often considered odd, so music that is considered odd (as in timing) could be jazz or prog rock.
2. Aspies are not mainstream, so music not considered mainstream would be sub-genres such as grindcore, punk jazz, Djent, darkwave or 2 tone.
3. Some aspies do transcend their "disability" and rise to the top of their class. Musically, a parallel could be David Bowie, Bjork or David Byrne of the Talking Heads.
4. Aspies come in all flavours - white, black, Asian, gay, comorbids, etc. A similar musical chameleon could be David Bowie, Blondie, Talking Heads, The Clash or other bands that mix genres.
5. Being that aspies amount to about 1 in every 100 person, a similar musical correlation would be 1 in 100 persons are into it, something like electronica, electroclash, medieval folk rock or gypsy punk.

So you have a multi-racial, multi-national, multi-generational, multi-genre left-of-center band that's achieved popularity even though just really admired by a few. My vote? David Bowie followed closely by Blondie, The Clash and the Talking Heads.

You just described my taste in music to a "T". :D Except I'm not quite sure about point 2.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm

Prog.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 5:01 pm

Or possibly Krautrock or Canterbury.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 6:15 pm

The diversity of responses in this thread pretty much proves the genre would be as diverse as we are ;)

Then I have done my job

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Futuristic classical punk rock! Right I'm off to make music like that! :lol:

BoilingBrain
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2013, 9:13 pm

Past - Bach. The genius of music.
Present - technical death metal, not djent. Djent sucks.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 2:16 am

puddingmouse wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Futuristic classical punk rock! Right I'm off to make music like that! :lol:

Classical-Punk fusion would probably be like early Iron Maiden. (It's not Punk or Classical, but those two genres do not fuse very well at all). So would that mean futuristic classical punk rock is like later Iron Maiden...no, that doesn't sound right. Maybe it's more of a fusion of Industrial with Progressive Rock.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html