Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 2:36 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
Sometimes I don't end up blow-drying my hair until it's already been dried by the air and it's all sticky and tangled.

I never blow dry my hair and don't even own a hair dryer. Blow drying can damage your hair.

If my hygiene habits mean depression it means I've been depressed my entire life since I've always been like this. The only time I ever did things like shower and wash my hair daily was when I was locked up and made to do it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 9:30 am

Probably just adaptive skills deficits, then. Unless you are one of those lucky people whose hair truly doesn't get dirty until every other day or so, in which case it's normal.

With depression, the symptoms are usually new--you've gotten worse in the recent past. You don't enjoy things like you used to, don't take care of yourself as well as you used to. The exception is dysthymia, which is long-term, low-level depression and by all accounts quite a miserable experience; even then, it has an onset time. If you've always had problems taking care of yourself, you can pretty much say that it's just a natural part of your autism.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Callista wrote:
I definitely stick to routines because they help me be more productive. Otherwise I'm just kind of drifting around aimlessly, and it's highly annoying because I just beat myself up about being so lazy. Routines help me to get something useful done, and if they're broken I often end up losing the day to that same aimless activity.

That's good advice. I realise it's the same for me. It's difficult to be productive without a routine unless it has got to do with a special interest.

YaminoKittykate
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2013, 12:46 pm

Routines are definately the path I lean towards but every time someone tries to deviate me from my routines I end up haveing a meltdown. Other than that, I have someone that is there to make sure all my hygine needs and other basic necessities are taken care of. Not everyone needs someone else though so it really depends on your individual situation.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 1:22 pm

Noetic wrote:
You hit the nail on the head there about routines.

Yup, the OP did. :lol:
It sounds a bit familiar.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm

I can't get shower if I want to get outside. It would take too long.
I'm extremely slow when getting ready to go out. I often get distracted and start doing other things, like, I start moving things from a place to another, and so.
When I have to get out, to be on time, I only comb my hair a little and dress myself up.
I never get showers before getting out. It would take too much time.